What's the best way to train for a marathon?

For my first (an almost certainly last) marathon. I got in involved in a training group. Being with a group is really a good way for sedentary folks (like me) who dislike exercise to get the discipline to complete the training.

If I was going to do it over again, I'd join a charity marathon training program, like
Team in Training.

Basically, how this work is you raise $X amount of dollars for a worthwhile cause
Leukemia b(but there are many others) by getting sponsors. They give you training and if you raise enough money will even pay for your trip to Honolulu. What is so nice about the program is you are surrounded by non-runners.

BTW, the Honolulu Marathon is very nice marathon about 1/2 the entrants are basically walkers (like myself).

Last edited:
I really liked the book How to Train for and Run your Best Marathon. It is by Gordon Bloch. It gives really good easy to follow training guides for all sorts of marathoners and plans out the training schedule for each level - beginners who just want to finish the marathon, to people who want to run it in a decent time, to those who want to run it really fast. She takes you from the beginning of 'thinking about running a marathon' to the actual running of it regardless of your level of fitness.

She also gives lots of tips and tricks as far as preparing from ground zero for the marathon to what to expect before and during the marathon. I got a lot from it and really recommend it. You can get it used from amazon really cheap.

The real funny thing is the real bottom line is ya gotta run alot of miles. Better to run upwards of 50 to 60 miles a week before the race. Ya need a real good distance base. That said, older people who want to do this will spend part of the race walking and jogging slowly. Get in shape lose some weight be motivated, and again put on your running shoes everyday and just run.

Hmmm...... Marathon.... Run very long distance, deliver message, die. To me not a good concept. For me, a full emulation would seriously cut into my retirement enjoyment.
I do enjoy watching it at times. Admire those that do it, obviously a tremendous effort.

Back
Top Bottom