When to delay pension or SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Delay Pension and/or Social Security

Cut-Throat, thanks. You've given me a fundamentally different way to look at the question of when to start SS. It will be interesting to run the numbers and see what happens.

Coach

MasterBlaster said:
I guess the question becomes... If I were to die early is it worse to not have taken SS early or is it worse to die without having spent down my nestegg.

I sincerely hope that this question will not cross my mind as I approach the great Divide.

Ha

If someone is interested in this the Form is SSA Form 521 which is available at www.ssa.gov. I would be interested in knowing if anyone really follows through on this process.

FIRE'd@51 said:
Why couldn't you do both, since you have the option of repaying SS if you need the annuity at age 70? If you delay SS and die before 70 you lose the SS forever. At least what's left of your nest egg can still go to charity or your heirs?

Do both ?

If you spend down the nestegg, then exactly what are you going to payback SS with ?

Martha: The linked thread gets my vote for a best of thread

Martha said:
This thread CT linked to is an excellent discussion. I thought about moving it to the best of threads. Thoughts?

Good idea, it took me awhile to find it!

MasterBlaster said:
Do both ?

If you spend down the nestegg, then exactly what are you going to payback SS with ?

I was assuming that a prudent person would spend down the nest egg and invest the SS (or vice-versa, or some combination of each), to preserve the option of repaying the SS.

Well it appears i will be up against this little problem this August as the big 62nd birthday arrives in late July...wife is 3yrs younger, a RN and hates her job, but has great wages, (only works part time) & health insurance and would be able to carry me till I reach age 65 for medicare. AT that point she will be 62, could quit and we would just buy some health insurance for her....Thus I am leaning towards taking SS at age 62, and banking as much as possible. My concern is taxes, as I'm also working part time till Aug. and we will exceed the 32k per yr earnings for SS being taxed...not sure which is the best avenue of these two to take... draw starting August 1, 2007 ,or wait til Jan 1 2008...your thoughts....

Again, taxes matter and IRA income is taxed at a much higher marginal rate...SS is treated much more favorably than IRA income when you look at the formula that determines the taxation of SS. Here is an example...Pension of $20,000 and each spouse worked and can take $12,000 each of SS at 62 or 76% more ($21,120) at age 70...Couple taking SS early takes IRA income in the amount of $18,240 to make up for delayed SS foregone...Same pre-tax income of $62,240 for both, but taxable income is half ($24,560 vs. $49,544) for couple that delayed SS.

The differences become more pronounced at the death of the first spouse as widow is taxed at lower amounts..Sunset provisions will also kick in higher tax rates in 2010..Everyone's situationis different, but there can be tax advantages for some.

Couple One - Starts SS Early
Pension Income $20,000
Primary Social Security $12,000
Spousal Social Security $12,000
Total Social Security $24,000

IRA yearly withdrawal $18,240
Total Income (before Tax, excluding Non-Taxable) $62,240
Combined Income $50,240
50% Excess over 1st Thres. + 35% Excess over 2nd $11,304
85% of Benefits $20,400
50% of Benefits + 85% Excess over 2nd Threshold $17,304
Adjusted Taxable Gross Income $49,544

Couple Two - Delays SS
Pension Income $20,000
Primary Social Security $21,120
Spousal Social Security $21,120
Total Social Security $42,240
Other Temporary Income $0

IRA yearly withdrawal $0
Total Income (before Tax, excluding Non-Taxable) $62,240
Combined Income $41,120
50% Excess over 1st Thres. + 35% Excess over 2nd $4,560
85% of Benefits $35,904
50% of Benefits + 85% Excess over 2nd Threshold $21,120
Adjusted Taxable Gross Income $24,560

FIRE'd@51 said:
I was assuming that a prudent person would spend down the nest egg and invest the SS (or vice-versa, or some combination of each), to preserve the option of repaying the SS.

If I have read the related posts correctly, You will need to generate a rate of return on your SS investments of around 9.5% or greater to match the delay strategy.

It gets tougher if you have other income above the SS income threshold for taxation. They will tax around half (give or take) of your SS payment (federal and state) if you have other income above the income threshold. In this case it gets really hard to justify taking SS at 62. Remember for every dollar of income over the income threshold you pay federal and state income taxes on that dollar. And then you get to pay an additional federal and state taxes on 50-85 % of that dollar (depending on your income level) because that dollar has made a SS dollar become now taxible. The net tax rate on those dollars over the threshold can be a tax rate over 50 percent (total federal and state).

MasterBlaster said:
If I have read the related posts correctly, You will need to generate a rate of return on your SS investments of around 9.5% or greater to match the delay strategy.

OAG said in his post that you only had to repay the dollar amount of the SS you collected (no interest). So you could stuff the SS under the mattress, and have enough to repay.

MasterBlaster said:
It gets tougher if you have other income above the SS income threshold for taxation. They will tax around half (give or take) of your SS payment (federal and state) if you have other income above the income threshold. In this case it gets really hard to justify taking SS at 62. Remember for every dollar of income over the income threshold you pay federal and state income taxes on that dollar. And then you get to pay an additional federal and state taxes on 50-85 % of that dollar (depending on your income level) because that dollar has made a SS dollar become now taxible. The net tax rate on those dollars over the threshold can be a tax rate over 50 percent (total federal and state).

I admit the tax situation makes the problem much harder to analyze. So you may well be right that for certain individuals (depending upon their tax situation) the option to repay the SS is not "free".

Bikerdude said:
I've had similar results. I think it's due to the amount of total nest egg to the amount you will withdraw. :LOL: No really, it makes a difference. A smaller portfolio is impacted more by the extra withdrawals needed to replace SS for the number of years you delay. In my case it's even worse because my pension is cut by a percentage of what I receive from SS so my withdrawals are even higher.

When I ran Firecalc the survivable rate was OK with either early or late SS but when I added the additional money to spend while I'm young the "take it early" (SS) scenario won out.

I think one option is to plan to take SS at 62 since it allows higher WR. Then every year after one reaches 62 till 70, evaluate the situation with your nest egg, tax law, surviver benefits, and other factors.

New thinking got me thinking about the tax situation after age 70 as well. This did not dawn on me either!

The tax advantages I was thinking about were before age 70. The ability to draw down your IRA with less income (from not taking SS). You would be in a lower tax bracket from age 62-70 and would be paying less taxes on withdrawals. With no income except from investments, it would allow you to shift money from your IRA into a taxable account (some maybe even tax free!)

Cut-Throat said:
Regarding FireCalc. Remember this is a worst case historical planner.

I am hoping not to leave anything to heirs BTW. - If you are planning on leaving a pile to your heirs, I would suggest taking the SS early.

Be that as it may, i'm still curious as to how we both used the same tool and received very different results. When I used firecalc to do this calc, my result was a higher spending rate throughout my lifetime, starting right now when taking SS early (or injecting ANY income stream at any time) and a lower spending rate throughout my lifetime when taking the income stream later.

I heard some speculation that it might be portfolio size or equities percentage used so I did some re-runs and except for borderline high-failure-rate smaller ports I got the same results.

Aside from that, the chief difference maker for me, as mentioned, is using the SS income to defer withdrawals from my Roth and then my regular IRA. I dont see a lot of discussion around the benefits of deferring the Roth withdrawal (although I know Nords gets it) but then again many people may not have a Roth...which is a terrible shame.

I'm not planning on leaving a pile to my son, but if it works out that way, I wont be disappointed.

CFB - I think a lot of people put the incorrect amounts into FireCalc..Not saying that you did, but many do not account for COLAs that occur between the ages being projected. In other words, the amount you plug in at age 66 and the amount you plug in at age 70 have grown by the COLA rates during the "delay" period. The SS statements that come lead people down the wrong path because they all are in today's dollars..FireCalc is not in today's dollars.

Also, I think FireCalc is the wrong tool for anaylizing this type of problem. We are talking about an 8 year span, which you can make the decision at age 62 and change it at age 63.

I don't have to use FireCalc to prove that this is the right decision for me! - I can use a simple spreadsheet, look at the 8 year period with my SS numbers and portfoilo.

All great answers and I WAS on the early 62 SS gig but need to rethink this out some. Now Tom makes a lot of sence..

"If you investments are down, take the SS to prevent drawing down your
savings, if up and you don't need it then why take it, postpone taking SS.
Tom"

I probably should point out something missing from the last couple of discussions...that the SSA lays out the numbers such that on average, you'll get paid the same regardless of whether you take it early or late. If you live longer than the mortality tables suggest, you'll get more. Otherwise you'll get the same or less regardless of when you take it...on average!

New Thinking said:
CFB - I think a lot of people put the incorrect amounts into FireCalc..Not saying that you did, but many do not account for COLAs that occur between the ages being projected. In other words, the amount you plug in at age 66 and the amount you plug in at age 70 have grown by the COLA rates during the "delay" period. The SS statements that come lead people down the wrong path because they all are in today's dollars..FireCalc is not in today's dollars.

No, i'm pretty sure I did the calcs correctly and had social security numbers correct. I and several other pretty competent numbers people did the runs a number of times. Its the nature of the beast; its finding sequences when you ran out of money. Most of the failures are barely failures, so injecting an income stream at some point always improves the # of failed sequences. Injecting a smaller income earlier will almost always give you better results than a larger amount later...in this case it eliminates minor failures for an additional 8 years.

Either CT did something funny in his run, or me and a few dozen other people all screwed it up the same way; this has been gone over to death in not just the SS discussions, but in a number of other scenario evaluations involving incorporation of an income stream, such as a pension, annuities, part time jobs, etc.

Cut-Throat said:
Also, I think FireCalc is the wrong tool for anaylizing this type of problem. We are talking about an 8 year span, which you can make the decision at age 62 and change it at age 63.

I don't have to use FireCalc to prove that this is the right decision for me! - I can use a simple spreadsheet, look at the 8 year period with my SS numbers and portfoilo.

CT, its your decision to make, but you're picking the tools and parameters that give you the answer you want, IMO. As with any of these decisions, while its easy to stick it in a fishbowl or limit the time period or what aspects of your financial picture you want to consider, you're not getting a full analysis.

IIRC you dont have a Roth, while many ER's might...and the interaction between that and the start date of social security is a big deal...and Firecalc wont do that calc but ORP will. For me in my plan, theres over a $100k benefit to delaying tapping my roth by taking SS at 62. That means I can spend that much extra over the next 20 years from my taxable port. Thats enough to send my kid to college fer cryin out loud.

Waiting until 62 to get the answer might also be counter productive...since we're both agreeing that the influence of SS increases spending in the years leading up to when you start taking it. I think your standpoint is that you can really spend away before 70 knowing you'll have a much larger monthly check to fall back on while mine is to spend a bit more every year for the next 20 years and inject the income stream at 62.

That having been said, all this is posturing and presuming...I dont count social security, pensions or anything other than the hard assets in my plans, and I cant spend the dividends and interest i'm receiving or think of anything I'd like to blow money on that i'm not buying already. If our social security, my wifes pension, my newly discovered miniature DEC pension and all the rest actually materializes it'll be a nice chunk of change. We'll definitely find a way to spend it.

CFB,

This delay or take SS thing is a decision that you can re-visit every year from age 62-70, so you don't have to know the 'right' answer ahead of time.

But don't make this too complicated just follow me on this:

1.) Say for instance you get $16K at age 62 and $29K at age 70. That is $13K a year more at age 70 correct?

2.) If you were to advise someone at age 70 that wanted to 'withdraw' $13K a year from his portfoilo safely, would 25 times that amount be prudent? Or $325K should do the trick. Correct?

3.) The person that took $16K at age 62 would receive $128K before age 70. Their challenge to be in the same financial shape as the guy delayed it to age 70 would be to turn that $128K into $325K by age 70. What investment would you recommend to him? I know I'd be hardpressed to find a guarenteed method to equal that $325K!

So, what part of this don't you agree with?

This does not even factor in the spousal benefits, tax advantages, less exposure to the stock market in later years, and the fact that the guy that took ss earlier does not have $128k to invest from the get go, but it is paid out to him over the course of 8 years.

Cut-Throat said:
Follow me on this:

C-T:

Makes sense to me (maybe because I was planning on delaying till 66, anyway ;) ).

Now I have an explanation I can give to others (when they ask me "why delay")...

- Ron

Cut-Throat said:
CFB,

1.) Say for instance you get $16K at age 62 and $29K at age 70. That is $13K a year more at age 70 correct?

Just curious as to how you input this to FireCalc? Do you use current dollars for both? I'm having a hard time getting good results and am wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I input the current dollar figures from SS for both 62 and 70 and assume FireCalc adds inflation (but not wage inflation). Is that how you do it. When and how do you add the extra money your going to spend early? I've run it on a spread sheet and the early SS has better results.

Bikerdude said:
Just curious as to how you input this to FireCalc? Do you use current dollars for both? I'm having a hard time getting good results and am wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I input the current dollar figures from SS for both 62 and 70 and assume FireCalc adds inflation (but not wage inflation). Is that how you do it. When and how do you add the extra money your going to spend early? I've run it on a spread sheet and the early SS has better results.

I think FireCalc is the wrong tool for this analysis. Don't make it too complicated!

As an aside... no FIRECALC involved...

16k/yr * 25 = 400k
29k/yr * 25 = 725k

So, to get from 400k at year 62, to 725k at year 70, you'd need a 7.7% return, no? ...and a greater return if you were making withdrawals.

Interest-free rate, it would take you until year 79 to break even.

16k from 62 to 79 is $288k.
29k from 70 to 79 is $290k.

Add interest, inflation, etc., and I would think the results would be similar within a couple years. Now add pensions, taxes, etc. Maybe things get fuzzier, but I think that, overall, C-T is correct assuming a person lives past 79.

This topic was partially discussed in another thread (Topic 10905 - 'Retire More Than Planned').

-CC

CCdaCE said:
Interest-free rate, it would take you until year 79 to break even.

I no longer think of this as a 'break even' type of problem. I now think of it as you get to spend more money in your 60's by delaying SS. IOW - you are not worried about hoarding the pile, because you know you've got a bigger COLA check coming at age 70.

So even if you die in your early 70's and 'don't break even' you are better off, because you got to spend more! This was the realization that clinched it for me! ;)

Cut-Throat said:
I no longer think of this as a 'break even' type of problem. I now think of it as you get to spend more money in your 60's by delaying SS. IOW - you are not worried about hoarding the pile, because you know you've got a bigger COLA check coming at age 70.

So even if you die in your early 70's and 'don't break even' you are better off, because you got to spend more! This was the realization that clinched it for me! ;)

... assuming you have no heirs for whom you are trying to polish or at least guard the nest egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom