When To Replace High Mileage Car?

Depends on its purpose. I have a '99 Silverado we use as a farm truck. Been through a motor and a cpl transmissions...amoungst other things...but it still serves its purpose as farm truck...if we had inspections it might pass..no rusted frame but its getting there.

I am a car enthusiast...so I "overspend" on cars...but I can afford it. We pay cash for them, I maintain them well, we live in a small city so don't drive many miles, and we keep them a long time (in years, not miles lol). I like having a "reliable" car...so when they get to about 120,000 miles (that's about 15 years or so lol) I start to think about a new one.

My 2007 Mustang GT500 is nearly that age. It's my "nice weather" car with only 19,000 miles on it. When I was still w*&*ing I decided to work "one more year" and set aside all the money I made that year for my next sports car. That year I made about $53k....and that money is now worth about $70k...so I have my car money saved. Believe it or not, the new GT500 (if that's what I end up buying) is $74k base price, so I'd still need some money from the sale of my '07...but the new one may be the last sports car I ever buy...I'll be 73 by the time I'm ready to get rid of it.

Maybe this belongs in the "blow that dough" thread lol. I budget a lot of money for my cars...the 1969 Camaro takes lots of "maintenance" and upgrades over time too.

I must admit though, when my wife met me in about 1990, and we went out on a date, I had to tell her "don't put your feet in the middle of the floor there...there is a rust hole there." She lifted up the carpet when we were going 30 MPH and could see the asphalt through a 4" diameter hole LMAO. I fixed that hole by pop-riveting in an old license plate and then applying tar to waterproof it. That was the old days, before I had any money lol.

This thread has me thinking about a newer car (2017 or later) for DW for the safety features. She loves her car, and though a 2011 it only has about 60K miles on it and no issues (other than her hitting things with it, she has a slight problem judging distances :)). She puts on less than 7K miles a year on it. Maybe early next year I will look at selling/trading it in for a newer model.

How much to rebuild the transmission? My 1997 Integra no longer goes into 5th gear.
Used GSR or Si transmissions can be had for $400-$700. That would be much cheaper than opening up your current transmission. You should also be able to sell your old transmission for $100 or more. Hopefully you have a GSR or ITR. I think B18B transmissions have different gearing.

Check engine lights come on for blown fuses, loose gas caps and low tire pressure and other easily addressed nonsense.
I'd suggest you research its CEL thoroughly.:)
Good luck!

Wrong. The Check Engine Light (CEL) only comes on for emissions related deficiencies, which basically is what is being sent out the tailpipe. This includes any malfunction that would cause an oxygen sensor to sense incorrect emissions parameters (cylinder misfire, EGR failure, Catalytic Converter loss of performance, etc, etc).

There are other Malfunction Indicator Lights (MIL's) for the other systems in the vehicles. There would include tire pressure sensors, traction control issues, low washer fluid, engine temperature out of range, etc, etc.

Wrong. The Check Engine Light (CEL) only comes on for emissions related deficiencies, which basically is what is being sent out the tailpipe. This includes any malfunction that would cause an oxygen sensor to sense incorrect emissions parameters (cylinder misfire, EGR failure, Catalytic Converter loss of performance, etc, etc).

There are other Malfunction Indicator Lights (MIL's) for the other systems in the vehicles. There would include tire pressure sensors, traction control issues, low washer fluid, engine temperature out of range, etc, etc.

I hobby flip autos for fun&money. I have for about 50 yrs, more now that I'm retired & increasing my already FI's certainties.
It keeps me busy.

CELs/Dash lights come on for numerous things aja8888

CELs come on for Ignition Coils, COIL wiring, and many other engine irregularities. Compromised idle vacuum hoses? MAF needs replacement? CELs come on & code. "ALL basic engine malfunctions" not ONLY emissions trigger CEL's to code.
I do not want to dispute auto Idiosyncrasies.
Good Luck to you though...;)

I do love driving!! :) DW drives a 2019 XC90 so the 15yr old XC90 is the car that's paid off and used for in-city driving. Our driveway looks like a Volvo ad with the first year XC90 and the latest XC90. Long trips are via a rental car and the new XC90 is for days that I need to huff some new car smell :cool:

A (really nice) new car in the house changes the equation imo--keep the 2004. And you already know what a new car has vs yours.

We traded in our 2007 Honda Civic two years ago (for a 2017 Accord) because DH wanted to keep the 2004 Acura MDX that had barely 100k miles on it. We should have traded in the Acura instead as stupid things (like the rear window washer broke for no reason) and bigger things started to go wrong; we traded it in this year on a 2019 RDX so we have two newer cars, which we do love.

I got rid of my 2003 Taurus with 59,000 miles on it because small things went wrong. Windshield washer broke was the straw. Before that is was a "door ajar" sensor that would trigger when wet. Yup, wash the car and get 2 weeks of "ding, ding ding, doors click locking, ding, ding, ding. Spent $250 to fix it and another one started dinging.

Craigslist, $1200, one day and he called me after and said the courtesy lights won't turn off (symptom of sensor problem) the proud new owner probably washed it when he got home. He'll learn - :)

I hobby flip autos for fun&money. I have for about 50 yrs, more now that I'm retired & increasing my already FI's certainties.
It keeps me busy.

CELs come on for Ignition Coils, COIL wiring, and many other engine irregularities. Compromised idle vacuum hoses? MAF needs replacement? CELs come on & code. "ALL basic engine malfunctions" not ONLY emissions trigger CEL's to code.

Yeah, I collect cars and restore them. The collection is being thinned since I am on the dark side of 70 and getting tired. Have been messing with cars for 50 years also. I'm not a flipper..no time for that.

IMHO, the OP ought to fix the Volvo and keep it as long as he can.

Last edited:
Obviously everyone has their own opinion. But I am shocked to see how often people change cars. I have been driving the same car given to me in 2006. It has over 330k miles on it. Why do I drive it? It reliably gets me from point A to point B. I choose to use the money I would be spending on a car payment to fund my investments or other hobbies.

We usually don't go super long, but we at least get 10 years, usually about 15. We are now in the 10 to 15 year mode and have no immediate plans to replace.

I think keeping cars for a long time (at least 10 yrs, longer if possible) is one of the secrets of LBYM and reaching ER.

If somebody gave me a new car I’d keep it forever too. The average age of cars on the road is between 11 and 12 years (and more than 16 years in Montana) so a 2006 is not that big of a deal https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...old-cars-trucks-20190628-story.html?_amp=true

Average length of time people keep a car is between 6 and 7 years. That’s a long time for “marketing” to be the cause of replacing a car.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion. But I am shocked to see how often people change cars. I have been driving the same car given to me in 2006. It has over 330k miles on it. Why do I drive it? It reliably gets me from point A to point B. I choose to use the money I would be spending on a car payment to fund my investments or other hobbies.

I imagine many did as you while saving for retirement. But now in retirement they have decided to enjoy their money. Buying a new car every few years is one way or funding different hobbies is another. I could buy less frequent and save more money for my nephews..... but I'm not. ;)

It keeps me busy.

+1

Just had to replace spark plugs and coils. The CEL was on and the code indicated an engine misfire.

I think the trick is to have a well maintained older car. Our last one lasted 20 years. The two that we currently have are both 13 years old.

We have never been stranded with car issues. We do a lot of driving in remote areas we cannot afford not to keep our vehicles maintained to the recommended levels.

We usually don't go super long, but we at least get 10 years, usually about 15. We are now in the 10 to 15 year mode and have no immediate plans to replace.

I think keeping cars for a long time (at least 10 yrs, longer if possible) is one of the secrets of LBYM and reaching ER.

I don't know how old you are, but do you see this changing as you get older? We always bought a slightly used car and drove it a long time. However since we are both closer to 70 then 60, last time we bought a new car with all the available safety features. back-up cam, LDW, blindspot warning and such.

It's 7 years old and in good shape but we want adaptive CC and a couple of other thing on the new models. We'll probably replace our car in the new year or so. It solely for the safety upgrade features, we love the vehicle.

I don't know how old you are, but do you see this changing as you get older? We always bought a slightly used car and drove it a long time. However since we are both closer to 70 then 60, last time we bought a new car with all the available safety features. back-up cam, LDW, blindspot warning and such.

It's 7 years old and in good shape but we want adaptive CC and a couple of other thing on the new models. We'll probably replace our car in the new year or so. It solely for the safety upgrade features, we love the vehicle.
This is a good point, ivinsfan.

We actually both replaced our last cars at little early for us near the 10 year mark because of massive safety improvements. The big one was side air bags. Having known a teenager who lost her life in a side impact because her head impacted the B-pillar probably was on our minds.

We are watching stuff. DW really wanted a rear-view camera. I retrofitted one and she is more than pleased with it. The other stuff is not as compelling -- YET. If the safety stuff becomes compelling, we'll jump.

Right now we need to save money for house stuff (roof, siding, HVAC), so we are going to Blow That Dough on something.

Just donated my oldest vehicle..a 20+ year old Subaru with ~200,000 city/urban miles...needed new brakes, suspension, new A/C system, power antenna, sunroof leaking, etc.

Will probably replace it with a relative's (made-in-Japan) Camry of the same age...~200,000 miles as well, but mostly highway, so it is in much better mechanical shape, though the clear-coat is peeling off, so will probably take it to the local MAACO...daily driver, but in-town only.

Last edited:
I love my new-ish car. It's a 2015 that I bought in 2016 after 1 owner had it for 10k miles. 3 years later it has 25k miles. I bought exactly what I wanted, after doing research, got the features and colors I wanted, some extras for free because it was a CPO.

I plan to keep it as long as it doesn't give me trouble. But the new safety features on it are greatly improved over my prior 2006. I only opted to go shopping then because it was 10 years old, high mileage from my commuting days, and needed a paint job (ocean air destroys the clear coat quickly). Didn't really want to sink a Maaco bill onto a 10 year old car.

And sure, I get the "i can look over my shoulder don't need a camera", but it's awful nice to have a well lit back view to help out, and sensors that notice something I don't, especially in busy parking lots where twits whiz by way too fast for comfort.

I also never even thought I'd want keyless entry, but there are plenty of times I'd rather not reach into my bag or pocket for a key if I don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom