Where do we all live?

Coldville (aka Fargo), North Dakota

Hoping to change someday to Warmville, AZ.

Tampa FLA since retirement 18 months ago and loving it.

Champaign, Illinois - home of the University of Illinois C-U. One of the main reasons we like it here. Offers many diverse activities and great restaurants. Also DH/me alma mater. We met at Murphy's pub 37 years ago. We had a blast in the 80's. Best music, parties and sadly, preparation for the real world of work.

Dad was from Champagne--- I always liked the town and as you said the UICU was a large reason.

Last time through was 8years or so ago, as I took the "ole guy" for one final visit. Went by the different houses he lived in, mostly on Garfield Avenue and a couple roads around. At that time the houses were still in a nice state or repair.

My grandparents house was a true 1920s craftsman style. My brother took our father there about 15 years ago and got a tour of the place. All the original woodwork inside and out was still intact.

Southwest Riverside County, in Southern California, just up the road from the avocado capital of the world.

the frozen tundra of mpls, mn. last year at this time we were hosting the super bowl. can you imagine all the tourists coping with -24 temps and windchills of -54? they never would have allowed another superbowl in a northern city again.

About 1 year ago moved to SW Washington state. It is a small town in a rural community. The town supports the more rural residents living in driving distance. The least amount of diversity we have experienced and the first time in a majority blue collar community. While there are many positive features, the one that might stand out most is that the people are the friendliest we have met in terms of casual conversations. This might partially be a biased assessment moving here from the northeast where we felt people were the least friendly.

Sonoma County, CA...on a 1/2 acre lot that was carved out of an old zinfandel vineyard about 60 years ago. We've owned the place for 34 years, but lived overseas 9 of those years.

Pasadena CA except when traveling, first half of 2019 includes India, Italy, NYC and Moab UT. Lots more later I hope.

Both DW and I grew up and worked in MD just outside Washington, D.C. and saw the area change from a nice place to live to a horrid lifestyle of cramming people together and endless traffic jams. Upon retirement we moved to WV and found a much slower lifestyle, polite people (well, mostly) and reasonable housing prices. There is not enough money to make either one of us move back.

Howdy neighbor! :greetings10:

Hey, neighbor. We'll be coming down your way next Thursday evening for the Marin Speaker Series. Unfortunately we'll be continuing south to Cupertino after the talk to help organize my MIL's memorial service which is Saturday.

Silicon Valley, I love it here, though the character of the bay has changed over the last 20 years and there isn't nearly as much cool weirdness as there was when I arrived in 1999. My wife hates it, and wants to own a house, so I'm guessing our time here is limited.

The Woodlands, TX.

Been here 27 years and watched it grow. DW likes it because she is close to her children (previous marriage) and also because there are three major hospitals and many other medical facilities within a 2 mile radius of us.

I would prefer to be elsewhere without the 150,000 people breathing down my neck and terrible traffic everywhere.

But the way the voting is going, I'm losing. :blush:

Last edited:
Coldville (aka Fargo), North Dakota

Hoping to change someday to Warmville, AZ.

I think the coldest temperatures I ever encountered in the US were during a January visit to the University of North Dakota. Thought it was "cool" that the rental car company offered an extension cord for the block heater and the hotel had an outside power receptacles for guests to use! As long as you opt for Warmville and not Hotville here in AZ, you'll enjoy it.

Sedona, that seems to be some expensive real estate.
I guess it depends what you're used to. It is a bit more expensive than than where I currently live in Phoenix but it has a better climate, fantastic red rock scenery and cleaner air. There is also a sense of - dare I say spiritual - serenity even with the tourist bustle. We will almost certainly have many hiking trails nearby that won't require driving to. Although for a large sprawling city, Phoenix has some excellent and challenging hiking trails. Unfortunately, they are virtually unusable in the summer and we have numerous deaths each summer due to folks misjudging the danger of hiking in our summer heat.

Just outside of Oconomowoc, Wis. Developers have dubbed the area "the Lake Country," but I'm actually on the Rock River when the water is high.

Calvert County md, right on patuxent river hop skip and a jump from the bay,wonderful except for taxes ��

Back
Top Bottom