which job would you choose

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
option 1: a high visibility consumer dot com company. very fast-paced, heavy workload, very demanding. good opportunity to add to my current skill set. pay: around $110k.

edit: no overtime required but the 8-hrs you're there, YOU WORK. maybe tough it out for a yr or so, it'll open up a lot of doors later.
Edit #2: the 6 interviwers all rushed thru their questions to get back to work. that is how fast-paced the environment is.

option 2: offer pending on final interview tomorrow(just formality), I already passed written test, and take home programming test, etc. small growing company. easier workload, family environment. pay: around $85k with a little wiggle room. this is slight less what I currently made, but enough to live on and save for retirement.

me: age=pushing 40, 2 kids, wife=SAHM.

just want to hear some thoughts from you guys.

... easier workload, family environment. pay: around $85k with a little wiggle room. this is slight less what I currently made, but enough to live on and save for retirement.

Definitely #2! Your kids are only kids for a short time, and if you can meet your retirement goals, the stress is NOT worth it for option #1! (if the pay were significantly higher, well, that might be justified!)

If Option 1 really requires no work beyond 40 hours a week and would be done for only a year or so, then with a SAHM mom I would probably take it if it wasn't too stressful and really would have significant future benefits.

The reason the SAHM mom is important is you probably wouldn't have much flexibility for kid related appointments, repair appointments at home etc during the day.

OTOH, I couldn't criticize anyone for option 2. And, if option 1 required significant weekend/evening work I would turn it down.

Personally, if I were not retired already I'd go for Option #1 in a heartbeat! Sounds like fun, and a stimulating work environment that (while not requiring over 40 hours) won't bore you at all during those 40 hours. All that and more money, and a chance to learn new skills? Sounds fabulous. :D

Your decision really depends on what you, as an individual, need and want. The fact that you are even considering Option #2 tells me that you really want that job instead. So, my suggestion is to take that one.

Last edited:
Vote for #1 as well. The difference in pay is significant and we're paid to work so the busier the better (IMHO) as long as the environment isn't toxic of course!

I'd also be a bit worried about #2 because it is a 'small growing company'. If your skillset isn't advanced with this company, if something happened and you had to find another job it would be tougher to find another job coming out of company #2 than company #1.

Personally, if I were not retired already I'd go for Option #1 in a heartbeat! Sounds like fun, and a stimulating work environment that (while not requiring over 40 hours) won't bore you at all during those 40 hours. All that and more money, and a chance to learn new skills? Sounds fabulous. :D

Your decision really depends on what you, as an individual, need and want. The fact that you are even considering Option #2 tells me that you really want that job instead. So, my suggestion is to take that one.

If this were 5 or even 3 yrs ago, I wouldn't even consider #2. I'm just concerned if or how well I can adjust to this kind of environment after having been spoiled by the current laid back, easy job. ~40 is not that old, right? but we're talking about a dot com where most coders are 20's, early 30's. So I need think/code as fast as those young guns if not faster.

If I could get $85K/yr(nearly twice the national average) for a low stress job, I'd jump at it. #2 without question.

At 40 yrs old I would take option 1 but only if you are familiar with high stress jobs already. You should know what you like by now. When I retired last December (at 55) reduced stress was the biggest benefit. Watch what happens with stress between now and retirement

While the startup does not require longer days, are you confident the people who will be your coworkers are only working 8 hour days? What happens when deadlines hit? A rushed interview process is a bad indicator, IMO.

Does your spending change when working in a high stress environment?

Can you use option #1 to get option #2 to offer more?

more info

While the startup does not require longer days, are you confident the people who will be your coworkers are only working 8 hour days?
Yes. The hiring manager stressed that no overtime is required of anyone except one or two rare occassions.

What happens when deadlines hit? A rushed interview process is a bad indicator, IMO.
the final interview was over 3 hrs with 6 people sequentially with majority of the interviwers rushed. This after I passed two 1-hr long phone interviews.

Does your spending change when working in a high stress environment?
No.

maybe 2, 3k more but that's it.

If you go with #1, would you still go to tomorrow's interview for #2 or would you just politely cancel it ?

If you are confident you will enjoy working with the employees at #1, that is what I would pick. I find a full and interesting work day is energizing, even when more stressful.

#1 also leaves you in a much stronger position if the job turns out to be a poor fit.

Continue the interview process with #2 until you have a singed offer letter and start date from #1. If #2 makes an offer, explain the situation and try to get more as well as time for consideration. Keep that offer on the table until you are confident you have employment from #1.

#1 would like me to confirm by end of today even though I told the agent that I'd like to answer by tomorrow. They are under the impression that I already had a firm offer from #2 and is eager to know what other demands I'd like them to meet.

+ 1 for number 1. It sounds as though they want you. Maybe they would negotiate in a few more days for vacation time which may soften the stress a bit :)

If they are wondering about demands have you negotiated on the salary and benefits yet? If not, presumably won't hurt to be gung ho for #1 but ask for even more than their offer and see if they shift up at all. Maybe get an extra week's vacation?

I'd take #1 for sure if they have made a real offer with more money and #2 is still tentative.

I'd choose the job where I slept better at night and looked forward to going to work each day. BUT, if you plan on moving on from either company you're better off putting 110k on your resume........having done some recruiting, a higher past income tends to get you a better offer unless an employer considers you "overqualified". Good luck!!!!!

Option #2
If the people at option #1 were too rushed to give a good interview, it must be high pressure, and you will not know the people you work with very well. If I did something for 40 hours per week, I would want the people around me to not suck.

I would choose Option 1 if I were really and truly convinced that no more than 40 hours per week would be required (I am skeptical though).

If you really could work 8 hours/day M-F, having a fast-paced environment would IMO just make the day go by faster, and reduce the chances you'll get bored. In my experience, however, it is rare to find that sort of environment that allows you to stick to a 9-5 schedule and be successful.

First, congratulations on having a choice! :flowers:

I think you can tell by the nearly even split that there is no right answer to your question. Hopefully, the points raised helped you think it through for yourself.

I always found the "4 quadrants" approach helpful in these kinds of situations - one choice in each column, positives/benefits for each choice on top row, negatives/concerns on second row. First pass is a brainstorm - dump out your first thoughts. Then put it aside and come back to it to add/subtract/edit/clarify your notes - several times over a day or two if possible. In most cases, this made the better choice pretty clear to me. (Somewhere I think I've seen this idea credited to Ben Franklin, but that may be just an urban myth.)

Finally, I have always tried to make "good" choices, not the "best" choice. Once you make the choice, go with it and learn from it regardless, and don't beat yourself up with "what ifs".

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

Back
Top Bottom