Which London and Paris highlights to see?

Yep, use that or Apple Pay with one consistent card.

There's a daily limit on charges.

Ah yeah, the daily cap. It goes by the device (not the credit card the device is using), so don't tap in with your phone and tap out with your card. :LOL:

I think you can have one person use a card and the other use a phone (charging that same card) if you wanted to use the same credit card for a couple.

Ah yeah, the daily cap. It goes by the device (not the credit card the device is using), so don't tap in with your phone and tap out with your card. :LOL:

I think you can have one person use a card and the other use a phone (charging that same card) if you wanted to use the same credit card for a couple.

Just so there is no confusion, the "daily limit" refers to how much you can be charged for a day's worth of travel, not a limit on how much travel you can buy. I had a friend who worried he might get stuck in the tube if he exceeded his allowance. :LOL:

I've not offered my two cents, but I'll add a couple -- given your limited time, do you have any specific interests that could align with suggestions? Like, periods of history, art, food, etc? I've spent a lot of time in both cities, as my spouse had extensive time in the UK as a consultant and we now own in the south of France (and our friend gives us access to a pied-a-terre near Notre Dame).

What part of Normandy are you interested in? Some people are interested in the D-Day beaches (usually with a trip to Bayeux), others want to see Mont St. Michel. There are other places like the charming Honfleur and the larger Rouen --- or to Giverny.

For highlights, I'd mention the Tower Museum, Buckingham Palace, the British Museum and the British Library but also theatre in the West End. I'd plan for a good (british) Indian meal and to take high tea. There are also some excellent other museums, like the V&A, natural history, Tate Modern, the Wallace Collection.

In Paris itself, besides the Louvre, Eiffel, Musee d'Orsey, Orangerie, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, Champs Elysees etc you might consider Versailles, the marces aux puces (Clingancourt), catacombs, Pere Lachaise, take a food tour and some of the specialized museums (Rodin, Picasso, Louis Vuitton, Atelier des Lumieres, Pompadou). Some of the better food choices are outside of the tourist-heavy 6th and 7th and into the Marais, Canal St. Martin, Bastille and even further into the 11eme.

I've not offered my two cents, but I'll add a couple -- given your limited time, do you have any specific interests that could align with suggestions? Like, periods of history, art, food, etc? I've spent a lot of time in both cities, as my spouse had extensive time in the UK as a consultant and we now own in the south of France (and our friend gives us access to a pied-a-terre near Notre Dame).

What part of Normandy are you interested in? Some people are interested in the D-Day beaches (usually with a trip to Bayeux), others want to see Mont St. Michel. There are other places like the charming Honfleur and the larger Rouen --- or to Giverny.

For highlights, I'd mention the Tower Museum, Buckingham Palace, the British Museum and the British Library but also theatre in the West End. I'd plan for a good (british) Indian meal and to take high tea. There are also some excellent other museums, like the V&A, natural history, Tate Modern, the Wallace Collection.

In Paris itself, besides the Louvre, Eiffel, Musee d'Orsey, Orangerie, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, Champs Elysees etc you might consider Versailles, the marces aux puces (Clingancourt), catacombs, Pere Lachaise, take a food tour and some of the specialized museums (Rodin, Picasso, Louis Vuitton, Atelier des Lumieres, Pompadou). Some of the better food choices are outside of the tourist-heavy 6th and 7th and into the Marais, Canal St. Martin, Bastille and even further into the 11eme.

Thanks! DW and I are both interested in history, and she appeases my interest in old construction and bridges. Imperial War Museum in on our must-see, as is Tower Bridge. She is a retired Art teacher so it goes without saying we'll be going to the Louvre. I really really look forward to Normandy and the beaches. I've been working on an itinerary, based on the many helpful comments here. BTW, food is the least important interest for us. Pretty much anything edible, and not heavy, is all we need or want.

Fabulous thread. When is the best time to book such a trip?

Asking for a friend.

Fabulous thread. When is the best time to book such a trip?

Asking for a friend.

Best time is while you are still working and go there 1st class on a business trip. My mega corp was pretty good about letting us spend a weekend either before or after our overseas "business" trips. After a few trips to cities like London, I had seen it all for free. Actually better than free since I was getting paid.

Last edited:
Best time is while you are still working and go there 1st class on a business trip. My mega corp was pretty good about letting us spend a weekend either before or after our overseas "business" trips. After a few trips to cities like London, I had seen it all for free.
Well, I did that too while working. We had offices in London and Versailles.

But I was referring to the time of year of course. My wife has never been.

But I was referring to the time of year of course. My wife has never been.

Shoulder season. Spring and fall. That way you avoid the crowds of tourists, get better prices, and don't have to worry about European hotels that don't have air conditioning.

Personally, I would rather travel in winter, for the same reasons, but most people don't much like being tourists in cold weather.

Weather though should be a consideration.

Rainy weather could limit what you can do unless you plan to spend most of your time indoors in museums and the like.

Once went in late April or early May and it was so cold.

As noted earlier, we've lived in Paris for many years. Here's a serious language tip:

Say "Bonjour". Just walk into any store or restaurant and say “Bonjour” (it is really, really important to do this). Really.

“Bonjour” goes back to the old days where the shopkeepers lived in the back of the place. In the French mind, you are walking into their home. Imagine strangers walking into your kitchen and not even saying “Hello”!

If you say Bonjour and then struggle in limited French (or even just a bad Quebequois/Belgian accent!), 99% of the time they will switch to English and/or give you an English menu (un carte en Anglais). There are people with ‘attitude’ everywhere in the world, but we had nothing but good luck in Paris (provided you say Bonjour!).

If you don’t say ‘Bonjour’, they’re guaranteed to forget any English they know. Guaranteed. They’re insulted!! This goes for waiters, shopkeepers, taxi, police...everyone. Trust me! We once even had a cop berate us for not first saying Bonjour when asking directions (and we were speaking French!!) If they do switch to English, remember to speak slowly and use your " indoor voice".

As far as food, Bistros and Brasseries serve working class, reasonably priced meals that you can count on for being excellent. No need for the super fancy, expensive place! The French take great pride in their food and take it seriously. Any Brasserie or Bistro will be exceptional. But, if ordering steak, remember that their "medium" is more like our "rare".

Also while " all of France goes on holiday in August" is a bit of hyperbole, there will be some restaurants and shops closed.

Street closures for protest parades and transit strikes are an almost daily event. They're rarely dangerous and sometimes over in a matter of minutes. It's just what they do.

Last edited:
Thanks! DW and I are both interested in history, and she appeases my interest in old construction and bridges. Imperial War Museum in on our must-see, as is Tower Bridge. She is a retired Art teacher so it goes without saying we'll be going to the Louvre. I really really look forward to Normandy and the beaches. I've been working on an itinerary, based on the many helpful comments here. BTW, food is the least important interest for us. Pretty much anything edible, and not heavy, is all we need or want.

When you say itinerary are you including transit times and such...although some of these sites look quite close on a map getting between or to them is a different story. Even when google says 15 minutes on the tube it's not including in and out of the stations which can be a trek and tube schedule etc. So you like history and such... the V and A, the natural history museum and the science museum are within walking distance of each other.

Hotel location can be crucial to maximizing time as well. Very few museums and such are open past 5 or 6 pm...

In London, then, you should add the Tower of London, the British Museum and British Library (for rare historical volumes on display). Then determine with your wife what is her favorite period or artist so you can tailor your art museums to those interests. It can make ventures in Paris a bit more efficient. There are often specific floors, sections or even dedicated museums to certain artists. When you go to Normandy, plan to go to the museums and the cemetaries to really round out your visit. Many also stop in Bayeux to see the Tapestry. It's a long day trip.

When you say itinerary are you including transit times and such...although some of these sites look quite close on a map getting between or to them is a different story. Even when google says 15 minutes on the tube it's not including in and out of the stations which can be a trek and tube schedule etc. So you like history and such... the V and A, the natural history museum and the science museum are within walking distance of each other.

Hotel location can be crucial to maximizing time as well. Very few museums and such are open past 5 or 6 pm...

Well I booked a trip for September, including a few days in London.

You may be in for sticker shock at some of the hotel rates, though the Pound is much lower than it was when I previously visited -- last time was 2015 or 2016.

OP here. Attached is my spreadsheet for our planned itinerary. There's a 2nd Tab where I listed all possible sites to see, and we culled it down to this Itinerary. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions/advice, and to those whom I exchanged PM's with as well. This itinerary, of course, is not written in stone so I can change sequence, what to see etc. And we're basically 100% flexible on timing, although we for mid-April, even knowing the weather at that time.
If anyone wants to comment, I'm all ears, and thanks again. Everyone has been invaluable, and I truly appreciate all your help.

Attachments

• London Paris plans.xls
    31 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I like the tate modern museum in London. The refurbished power station it’s in is very interesting also .

Last edited:
OP here. Attached is my spreadsheet for our planned itinerary.

Even with your pared down list, that's still an ambitious itinerary. Best of luck making it all, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. You're going to be dazed and exhausted when you're ready to come home.

Looking at your list I'm exhausted.
That said - when you are in Montmartre - walk up the hill (and steps) to Sacre Coer. You can pay a few Euro to climb up inside the dome to the cupola. It puts you at eye level with the top of the Eiffel Tower (helps that Sacre Coer is at the top of a hill). I've done it twice and would do it again on my next trip to Paris - the view is that good.

I'm not sure what the state of Notre Dame is post fire/reconstruction... fortunately, Sainte Chappelle is right there. And it's on your list (maybe because I previously recommended it.)

Even with your pared down list, that's still an ambitious itinerary. Best of luck making it all, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. You're going to be dazed and exhausted when you're ready to come home.

Didn't read the itinerary, but jet lag also is a factor. One day per time zone to recover was always my experience.

Looking at your list I'm exhausted.
That said - when you are in Montmartre - walk up the hill (and steps) to Sacre Coer. You can pay a few Euro to climb up inside the dome to the cupola. It puts you at eye level with the top of the Eiffel Tower (helps that Sacre Coer is at the top of a hill). I've done it twice and would do it again on my next trip to Paris - the view is that good.

I'm not sure what the state of Notre Dame is post fire/reconstruction... fortunately, Sainte Chappelle is right there. And it's on your list (maybe because I previously recommended it.)

Basically, EVERYTHING was based on recommendations from you and our fellow ER.Org members! I know it's a tight list, but if need be we'll just cut one visit short, or skip something, if we feel we must. But DW and I know what we like, what we're capable of, and what we can miss without feeling deprived. For numerous reasons we don't want to extend the time away from home we will accept seeing whatever we can see.

Basically, EVERYTHING was based on recommendations from you and our fellow ER.Org members! I know it's a tight list, but if need be we'll just cut one visit short, or skip something, if we feel we must. But DW and I know what we like, what we're capable of, and what we can miss without feeling deprived. For numerous reasons we don't want to extend the time away from home we will accept seeing whatever we can see.

That's a good attitude can I ask if you have picked an area for your hotel, this can make a big difference. FYI at almost all museums and the like you will not be able to carry in any type of luggage...you might want to pay for an early check in so you can leave your luggage and freshen up before trying to visit places. You are going to want to book the express train from whatever airport you arrive at. The Heathrow LHR express will drop you at Paddington station which is convenient to many hotels. These details can make a big difference. We had an early arrival...expressed in got the tube to a hotel in Westminster...checked in early took a shower, freshened up and then got some fresh air walking along the River Thames ... an iconic walk and a good way to battle jet lag... I saw your spreadsheet and it's pretty full. Planning this out ahead of time will help you do the most you can comfortably do.

It's fine to say if you don't fit it in that you don't fit it in..but some micro planning can make things a lot less tiring.

Last edited:
Agree with the suggestion to pay attention to where your hotel is. I prefer staying near Russel Square in London because you can take a tube straight there from the airport. It also has good access to several tube lines. Even if you can't early check in, you can usually drop your luggage.

OP here. Just wanted to give a brief post-trip update. Everything went as planned. Yes, at end of each day we were quite bushed, and this insomniac had a great night's sleep every night. I even managed to "survive" an evening walking tour:dance: In the end, mission accomplished: all bucket list items seen and enjoyed. Thanks again to everyone for your guidance.

Back
Top Bottom