Which Retirement Date?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you count your retirement date as the day of your retirement party (tomorrow), the last day in the office (a week away) the last day on the books (10 days) or the day you get the first retirement check (4 to 6 weeks)? Or maybe several months earlier when you decided to retire or when you gave formal notice and became a ‘short timer’? Maybe when you hit FI?

I think I'll use the last day in the office. :cool:

Not like I'm counting:angel:
Customized counter

CONGRATULATIONS ... wish I was that close.

I'd agree with you, last day in the office, as long as they can't call you until the last day on the books. ;)

Enjoy it

Maybe also the day the last check clears the bank. Congratulations! Nothing wrong with celebrating all of them.

One thing for sure, you will be smiling a lot over the next few days. Last year about this time, I was beginning to smile a lot more. Retired in early April. :)

Unofficially, and the date I tell people, is the day that I walked out the door for the last time! 'Officially' the date used by the employer and pension people, was a whopping 3 days later.....on my 50th BD. But I prefer to say that I ER'd in my 40's. ;)

Congratulations and welcome to the FIRE club. Your letter with the secret decoder ring, handshake and special web sites will be in the mail shortly.

Your RE date is usually the last day you are employed...not necessarily the last day w*rked. In my case they were the same on ER #1 but different for ER #1.

Congratulations Yakers! I am glad to see that it is finally happening for you! Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to the club.
My answer comes from the movie Meatballs
'... it just doesn't matter .. it just doesn't matter ...'

Back
Top Bottom