Why do we spend so much on going out to eat?

I've been reading this thread with much interest and finally decided to jump in here. Really, I couldn't get a word in edgewise. To be honest, eating out is my favorite passtime. I has gotten to be a favorite of my wife's also. Although WE cook at home about half the time for dinner (this includes leftovers), we would both prefer to go out . I said WE because I do the cleanup, and that is half the battle.

It used to be we had to to cook at home because we thought we couldn't afford to go out. Not so anymore and we find it almost as cheap to eat out as it is to cook in, especially when you consider the work involved. I'm certainly not speaking for those that love to cook, and I can see the attraction. We can sit here during the day and watch cooking shows because we find it facinating and would love to do some of that. Then someone mentions that "yeah, someone else is cleaning up their mess".

As I said, we love to eat out, and by that I don't mean expensive places. Someone mentioned Wendy's which we love for lunch. Our Wendy's doesn't offer breakfast, so they open at 11AM for lunch, and you better get there early (before noon). It's a hell of a deal. A big lunch would be a Monterey chicken sandwich, sour cream and chive baked potato and a senior coke for me. Wife will get a chicken Ceasar wrap, a sour cream and chive baked potato and a senior coke. (We might get an order of chicken nuggets for the puppies). Since the senior drinks are free, we can get out of there for about $5.50 and no tip involved. Wendy's is the one fast food place I will visit. I'm going to check on the breakfast thing because in this 100% retirement community, it would go over big.

Going out BIG for us is to our country club and from everything I have read it is reasonable by comparison. One night a week is a buffet and it will vary greatly, is always good and well supported. Big salad bar, last night was carved ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potato cassrole, fresh cut steamed veggies, and rolls. It was great. I had a glass of wine, wife just had ice water. Total bill was $33.00 including tax and tip. At the club the tip is always added on at 17%. I generally round it up to an even amount by adding a buck or two and the odd change. They used to call it happy hour where the drinks and wine were two for the price of one (5$). For some reason they changed the wording and now it's $2.50 for any drink or wine from 4-7PM. I guess it doesn't force you to drink two.

I know we are spending more than we ever did on eating out but we enjoy it and will probably continue spending a good part of our monthly income on food in general and eating out in particular. Tomorrow is my 76th birthday and my daughter has offered to take us to breakfast. Dang, eating out again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom