Why Upgrade Razors?

I down graded mine, use old (obsolete, ebay buy) Schick Injector. One thick heavy blade.

Like a straight razor, you only need one good blade - :)

For awhile I used Dorco - perfectly great 3-blade shave for a helluva lot cheaper than Gillette. Then I went retro w/ a safety razor from Target. Now shaving my head/face w/ shaving soap and a mug like it's the 40's. LOL

I wish I could use blades but I cut myself all the time when I do. I use a Phillips electric but I have learned they are a PITA. The blades will dull over time unless you take good care of them. Mine came with a cumbersome tank that you plug it in to clean. The solution runs out and must be replaced at $$. I dumped that and just use my water pic to clean the blades but - PITA. Also, you need to lubricate the blades frequently if you want long life, also PITA. Eventually you need to replace the head - $$

NOW.... I just use a small clipper to cut me down to a day old stubble look... maybe every 3 to 5 days... I do not need to be clean shaven... at least not often.

Same. I spend more time trimming than shaving, and the stubble look is stylish.

The razors are cheapos from Costco. They last me forever since my chosen style means I shave little. But modern razors tend to be overpriced over-engineered marketing marvels IMHO.

As someone else said, just need something cheap that works.

About a decade ago I was shocked to find out what I was spending for Gillette blades. They got to over $4/each so I started looking for alternatives.
I just bought 20 Mach 3 cartridges for $1.85 each, still seems expensive to me.

Guess I’ll re survey the shaving landscape again when I run out in 3-5 years…:blush:

NOW.... I just use a small clipper to cut me down to a day old stubble look... maybe every 3 to 5 days... I do not need to be clean shaven... at least not often.

What I do most of the time as well. When I do shave, I use a cheapo twin blade disposable.

I started shaving using my Dads old safety razor, learned of disposables in basic training. from then it was whatever was cheapest, didn't trash until it was pull out hair instead of cutting.
Several years ago DW picked up an AllMan Razor at Lidl and its been the go to ever since.

I grew a beard in 1971. A few years later I did start shaving my neck with the cheapest pack of razors I could find to keep the beard more styled. My wife gave me an inexpensive ($20) electric razor in 1990 that made it more convenient. I don't see the difference in cheap vs more expensive razors since I don't need or desire to shave more than every 2-3 days. I still have about 3-4 cheap razors left from a 6pk I bought 10+ years ago to use when traveling.

Cheers!

Blades last a lot longer if you pat dry with a cloth after each use. I might even give it a blast of air from my hair dryer. But, I am an elcheapo from way back.

Can't go wrong with the Mach 3's, which you can buy from Costco for just over $2 per cartridge. I go through two a month shaving daily but could probably stretch them further. Throw in some old-school Proraso shaving cream (from Amazon) and you have safety-razor quality without the nicks and cuts or having to switch to a cartridge razor anytime you travel (since DE blades aren't allowed in carry-on baggage).

The NYT "Wirecutter" product review service concurs:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-manual-razor/

I just ran out of blades for my Gillette Mach 3 razor, and before ordering I stopped to look at the history - I've been using the Mach 3 for 24 years! Gillette and others have introduced several new models since, but they're all more expensive (blades) and I doubt they actually shave any better (is 5 blades really better than 3?), so I ordered another 20 replacement blades. I usually welcome change, but not in all things I guess... :blush:

I am sure there will be some here who have been using the double edge safety razor blades all along - they were introduced in 1880! That is what my Dad bought me to [-]cut[/-] nick my face with as a young teen... :LOL:

I too have been using the Mach 3 for YEARS. Nonetheless, the last package I purchased from Coscto have been less than stellar. I bought them from Costco online, so they arrived in a cardboard box...unlike what you get in the store. I can only use these blades a few times before they really tear up my face. They don't seem to be counterfeit or otherwise "fake", but the quality is definitely different. Next time I go to Costco, I will return these and purchase the instore version and hope it's the quality I have used for so many years. I would HATE to try and find a new razor!

My routine is similar to others. I only shave every few days and tend to do it later in the day when my pore are nice and open. I learned the "dry the blade" trick from Clark Howard years ago and *could* get a couple of months out of a blade.

I have similar issues with the electric shaver. Doesn't get nearly close enough and tears up my face. No thanks.

I'll never forget the first shower in Basic Military Training. It was incredible to see 60 guys try to shave themselves in a matter of 30 seconds. Half had never learned how...it was a mess.

Ah, memories. I still have by blood stained ATO (Airman Training Order, basically the "bible" you had to carry everywhere during basic) after that first "YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO S*, SHOWER AND SHAVE!!!!!!!!!" day.

Last edited:
My facial hair is somewhat rough.
After many years of trying various stuff (disposable, single blade, multiblade, electric razor), I eventually settled on to the old fashioned safety razor. I bought a variety pack of razor blades and tried them all. Eventually I settled on:

Safety razor
Bigelow Shave Cream
Derby Extra blades

Not quite as old-school as Gumby, but I've been using this since 2010, DW just asked me to order one for her after trying mine.

Rarely nick myself, but it does happen occasionally.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00374F5CY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QY8QXM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WQH8SA

71Jf5vZ9mPS._SL1500_.jpg

61T5DIsL8qL._SL1200_.jpg

51qtGP3-BJL._SL1080_.jpg

Cheap, work well, and though a very small thing, environmentally friendly (far less packaging and materials).

-ERD50

I was using a good old-fashioned safety razor (just like my Dad) for years. First, a Merkur, like ERD50's, which fell apart after I dropped it in the shower. Then I got a NOS Van Der Hagen butterfly safety razor for $4 from eBay, which I still have.

When I got my camper van a few years ago, I wanted to be able to shave without using any water. I boondock exclusively, so minimal water usage is important. I don't use an inverter when camping, so everything either has to operate from 12V, or internal batteries. I found 2 portable electric shavers that operate from AA's (perhaps the most popular battery worldwide). First, I tried the Braun MobileShave M-60. It's a well-designed portable foil shaver, containing a safety guard that is integral to the case, as well as a place in the base to store a small brush for cleaning purposes. The only drawback, is that it doesn't cut errant log hairs; I had to clean those up with a safety razor. It's not really an issue, but I wanted something that would get both the stubble as well as the miscreant longer hairs. Enter the Phillips PQ206 portable electric shaver. Like the Braun, it operates from 2 AA batteries (I use Eneloop rechargeables). The 2 rotary heads catch the long hairs as well as the stubble. It's not quite as well designed as the Braun. The safety guard is separate and can be lost, as can the little cleaning brush. However, it's an all-in-one answer to my shaving needs when traveling. I use it at home as well. It takes a lot longer to shave than with a safety razor, but I use it when sitting in front of the computer and drinking coffee in the morning. Besides, all I have is time!

I still occasionally use the safety razor to clean up the baby fuzz on my neck.

I know this doesn't answer Midpack's question at all, but that's what we do here isn't it? A few of us answer the question, and are the truly helpful ones. The rest of us just open our mouths and talk about our own situations :LOL:

Last edited:

I do like the Cremo. I have the "cooling" version right now. Very refreshing and very slick. When I have time or when I've not shaved for more than 24 hours, I'll use the Cremo. Put some on and let it work for a few minutes. Nice stuff. Day to day, I just use some Edge.

Another for Mach3.. buy in bulk every few years. Tried a few other 5 bladed and store brand and they all stunk and sit in a drawer. Shave 2-3 times a week.

I like the fusion. Can’t remember the last time I nicked myself. That single blade at the top is great for trimming under your nose. They easily last a month and I shave very close even against the grain sometimes. Tend to shave in the shower by touch with no mirror. I like to live on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom