Why Upgrade Razors?

Wait until all you straight razor guys get a lot older and have shaky hands. You will either cut off an ear or switch to electric! :LOL:

Have a older electric razor and am wondering if latest/greatest electric's are that much better. If so, which brand do you suggest?

I've used a Norelco for about 40 years and still happy with them. I originally went with that brand simply because it's by far the quietest, and I just don't want any excess noise when I first get up in the morning.

I replace the blades (three rotary cutters) every year in my birthday month.

This is the current one:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-Shaver-Model-AT810/dp/B006GQYSC8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2KDD01IEHTAJ6&keywords=norelco+aquatec+at810&qid=1646084864&s=beauty&sprefix=norelco+aquatec+at810%2Cbeauty%2C77&sr=1-5

Attachments

• AT810.jpg
    AT810.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 15
Another for Mach3.. buy in bulk every few years. Tried a few other 5 bladed and store brand and they all stunk and sit in a drawer. Shave 2-3 times a week.

This is me exactly. I also use Edge Sensitive Skin Shaving gel and shave wet in the shower. I use Nivea Sensitive Skin After Shave Balm.

My Frugal Brand (don't laugh)

So a few years ago I had tried the triple-blade, quad-blade razors being all the rage and the only way I did so was because I got a BOGO or FREE coupon in the mail. They were decent and I didn't get any nicks as I recall but they took longer to get a close shave (for me anyway).

One day I was checking out the clearance aisle at my local Wal-Mart as I do a side hustle (my wife really does it but I do the retail arbitrage) ...anyhow I came across a large box of Lady Schick "Smooth" razors in 6 packs (5+1 bonus) and they were selling each pack for 25 cents each (normal retail at the time was $4.99. Thinking this would sell pretty easy on eBay / Amazon / etc. I figured hey list them in multiples of two and sell at $3.99 and cha-ching!

So one day I am outta razors and I need to shave quick. I see my wife has a pack opened in the bathroom cabinet so I help myself to a less-feminine "Mint Green" handled twin razor. Thinking if these work well on a ladie's underarm bristle (and nether region):angel:, it should handle my grizzle ok enough. To my surprise:LOL: it worked really, really well. And these things last for weeks.

So I've stashed about 6-6 packs that should last me until 2027-28. Amazing what you'll discover when you take a chance. Now only thing is if I go to the gym and the guys see me using the pink or lavendar handle, I may get some snickers. But hey at around a nickel a piece and they last for weeks, I don't mind. Maybe I'll start using the unscented Olay clone moisturizer when I step out of the shower that I scored for a song at Wal Mart.

Life is full of possibilities. :rolleyes:

I also like the Norelco triple headers. Guess I need new blades, it is not working as well as it could. I just find it annoying that the blades cost around half what a while new unit costs. But the aftermarket ones I tried were not as good. Use a cheap disposable to clean up what it misses.

I’m a Fusion guy who finds the sixth trimming blade essential for shaving under the nose. I don’t know how to get to that area otherwise. Or maybe I have a big nose.

A single cartridge lasts for months, so the unit cost is irrelevant. The trick is to dry the razor off on a towel every time.

And I use three drops of shaving oil instead of foam or gel. A tiny bottle lasts a year.

I use Dorco, Got started many years ago when they had a special deal that gave you a handle and several packs of every type they use. It has taken me years to use them all, in fact I just finished the last pack now. I couldn't tell that much difference between the different blade numbers I bought the four blade Dorco a 16 cartridges for $23 on Amazon. I shave electric 4 days a week and blade 3 using Creamo and change blades on the change of seasons (every 3 months) still seem to be working ok when I switch. So I now have 4 years supply before I have to decide if I want to change.

I just ran out of blades for my Gillette Mach 3 razor, and before ordering I stopped to look at the history - I've been using the Mach 3 for 24 years!
I started shaving in 1974, with Trac II -- and I used Trac II until I got a Panasonic electric razor about 3-4 years ago. So I'm about tied with you.

But I don't put much mileage on the Panasonic these days. Some women converted to yoga pants when the pandemic hit, and I quit shaving. :LOL: I figured, in the rare times when I see anyone, I've got a mask on anyway!!

I too have been using the Mach 3 for YEARS. Nonetheless, the last package I purchased from Coscto have been less than stellar. I bought them from Costco online, so they arrived in a cardboard box...unlike what you get in the store. I can only use these blades a few times before they really tear up my face. They don't seem to be counterfeit or otherwise "fake", but the quality is definitely different. Next time I go to Costco, I will return these and purchase the instore version and hope it's the quality I have used for so many years. I would HATE to try and find a new razor!
I bought the Costco cardboard box too. There was a Gillette sticker inside the box so I assume they’re authentic, I trust Costco. I don’t shave every day anymore, so the blades may be more challenged now - but my last bulk buy the blades seems to dull quicker than I expected as well. Oh well, I don’t have to decide anything for several years now…

I’ve had a Braun electric razor for about 20 years, and last year purchased a Braun series 9 razor. It works great!

I used a Braun electric (older model) when I worked and cared how I looked. I would wet shave with a razor but I would not shave against the grain. Then I’d go against the grain (mostly just my neck) with the electric razor. The combo worked pretty well and never got any razor burn/ingrown hairs.

No Upgrade for Me

I have no idea how long I've been using my Mach 3 razor but it's been a long time. Tried the 5 blade razors a few times over the years including Harry's but don't like them. I hope they never discontinue the blades for the Mach 3. MACH 3 to the grave!

I use two Gillette Double Edge razors, one called a Slim mfg date of 66 and my birthday razor a Gillette Super Shaver mfg date of 1949.
I use the same blades as ERD50.

Cheap, and works well

2 cents

Like literally refuse to use anything but the two bladed Mach 2 with the comfort strip. I even upgraded to the three blade and found that it gave me more cuts and no closer or shave. I just go on Amazon and bulk order whenever I can find them. I've got three razor handles and about 40 blades.

For about the last 15 to 20 years it almost feels like an imperative for every company to come out with slightly worse and worse products and charge a little bit more each iteration.

Razors don't seem to be any different

I use DollarShaveClub razors that I pick up on ebay. They are 6 blade cartridges that come in four packs for about 9 bucks. I have a soft beard and generally shave every other day. 8 cartridges last me about a year. I do find these provide a closer shave than the Mach products that I've used over the years, and I very rarely nick myself.

Many people aren’t aware of “stropping”. It’s basically what an old time barber would do to hone the edge of a razor. I run the razor up the inside of my forearm 30-40 times, reverse of the cutting edge, obviously. Also, drying the razor afterwards helps to keep it going. I’ve been using the same 3 blade Gillette for many months.

I learned a valuable trick some years ago regarding razor blades - after I shave I rinse the blade very well and then dunk it in a small jar of rubbing alcohol I
keep under the sink. Turns out razor blades dull from microscopic rust that occurs as the blade dries out. The alcohol drives the residual water away resulting in
a blade that stays sharp 5X longer.

I love my Harry's products and can't imagine switching to anything else. Best shave I have had and blades last a looooong time. I think I have only used two or three in a year (although I only shave about once a week).

Just found this statement from Gillette, never seen it before!

“Each [Mach3] razor blade refill is engineered to last up to 15 comfortable shaves, so you can get the most of every shave.”

So if you shave twice a week, 20 Mach3 cartridges should last about 3 years. Three times a week about 2 years.

Last edited:
I learned a valuable trick some years ago regarding razor blades - after I shave I rinse the blade very well and then dunk it in a small jar of rubbing alcohol I
keep under the sink. Turns out razor blades dull from microscopic rust that occurs as the blade dries out. The alcohol drives the residual water away resulting in
a blade that stays sharp 5X longer.
I was going to call BS on this but turns out it might help. Micro rust isn’t a significant issue with stainless steel which I assumed Mach3 blades are - they are NOT, they’re just carbon steel! [There are premium blades that are stainless steel, but not Gillette cartridges] Further reading told me there’s no need to soak blades/cartridges in alcohol, in fact it’s preferable to rinse off all visible gunk with water then dunk, swish in alcohol and let air dry. Displaces water and kills cooties. I’ll try it, thanks.

Last edited:
Thread drift:confused:

My head is old guy style...clean on top & short around the edges. I use a #1 on a clipper about once a month. Was watching a show a month ago & a guy with short hair used an electric (battery powered) razor on the top of his head. A few moments over the sink & he was done. Similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174974478360

Any recommends on something like this? I'd prefer a #1....a zero is a bit short for me. (I remember when my hair was over my ears)

Thread drift:confused:

My head is old guy style...clean on top & short around the edges. I use a #1 on a clipper about once a month.

Much like me. I use a #2 on top and #1 on the sides, about every three weeks. Honestly, I'd prefer to simply shave it all off like that, but DW won't permit it.

Back
Top Bottom