Windows 10 Fall Creator Update

Just four years old? Isn't it easier and less expensive to turn off the updates? I still run 20 year old equipment, no printer problems, no virii, works fine, what's not to like?
I could see turning off updates if the computer was never on the Internet. But a Windows machine NEEDS updates for security, esp on the net.

The last big Win10 update in the spring broke my scanner. Had to mess with the drivers to get it back.

My laptop locked up at the login screen- even when I let the power completely run out. Had to reboot by holding the on/off switch down until it self booted a couple times

OP here.

The Dell tech was here and installed a new drive with Windows 10. The only issue was that my DH doesn't know/can't find his authorization codes to use Office from the old drive, so he can't use it on the new drive and he's figuring that out.

This update re-lettered all of his drives, and will not allow re-lettering back to what they were....so he's getting use to that change. I've heard him mumbling about some other stuff changed too....but not sure what.

He purchased Windows 10 Pro. He thinks the updates are important, but wants more control that apparently comes with the professional version. The ranting about "The Arrogance of Microsoft" is becoming a little less. I hope for world peace soon.

I had an old Pentium 4 emachines from 2005 with XP on it. 512mb RAM I updated to 1.5gb, put in a 64gb SSD I had lying around. First I put Windows 8.1 on, then did the Win 10 update from the MS assistive technologies site. Amazingly it works! A bit slugglish but not bad considering how old it is. Only took me a day to get the sound and display working right.

Turned on my desktop a couple of days ago. It had not been in use for a month or two. Lots of disk activity, and the machine rebooted by itself when I was not there to see.

Whoa, the screen changed to humongous fonts on a 22" LCD monitor. Went in and saw that the software changed itself to 1024 res. What the heck! And that was the highest that it offered. Looked further and saw that it properly recognized the graphics board as well the LCD which both would do 1920 res. However, the software only offered 1024 res as the highest mode.

I did a graphic driver roll back, and everything seemed to be fine. I said "seemed to be" because I have not used this machine much since this incidence to know if anything else is missing. It was updated from Windows 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

By the way, in another thread we talked about experienced workers retiring leaving a skill gap at some companies. It was certainly true at the megacorp that I worked. In the case of Microsoft, similarly, I think their new young programmers did not know what they were doing.

Last edited:
The wireless HP printer stopped working on my wife's HP Laptop after the latest Win 10 update. Spent a day running all of the HP diagnostics and getting the latest drivers from HP etc etc. Nothing worked. Finally found a post from somebody with the same problem that ended up devising several changes to the registry that supposedly solved the problem. I'm reluctant to make registry changes so I ended up loading Linux mint on her computer. Problem solved - printer works beautifully

Back
Top Bottom