Windows XP SP3, anyone?

That'll teach you to buy that AMD crap! :)
I still have byte marks!

We've had this one for nearly three years. It's been tweaked to death, and I don't look forward to the inevitable "upgrade"-- even though it'll undoubtedly be running on Intel chips.

I'm running an amd system and the upgrade was smooth. The only thing bothering me now is that an avg scan indicates that the following dlls have changed: kernel32.dll, wsock32.dll, user32.dll, shell32.dll, ntoskrnl.dll. Unfortunately, avg doesn't make it easy to tell whether or not these changes are legitimate. They should include a m5 hash check against the released windows versions. I don't understand why they don't do this. This is one of the reasons why people love Macs, your system files change, and you never know.

Thanks for posting that HP utility. I might need it for my mom.

I installed Service Pack 3 on my old XP home desktop computer in June. Absolutely no problems at all, other than the fact that it took 100 years to download and install, and so I was almost late in getting to the airport that day.

My agency is very conservative about upgrades. We don't get software upgrades until they are already obsolete. For example, at work we are still using the 2003 version of MS Office. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, our IT people finally approved the Service Pack 3 for XP and installed it in mid-August. I would say that is a vote of confidence for SP3.

I prefer Vista to XP, though, so I suppose you should keep that in mind when evaluating my opinion. :2funny:

I'm running an amd system and the upgrade was smooth. The only thing bothering me now is that an avg scan indicates that the following dlls have changed: kernel32.dll, wsock32.dll, user32.dll, shell32.dll, ntoskrnl.dll. Unfortunately, avg doesn't make it easy to tell whether or not these changes are legitimate. They should include a m5 hash check against the released windows versions. I don't understand why they don't do this. This is one of the reasons why people love Macs, your system files change, and you never know.

Thanks for posting that HP utility. I might need it for my mom.

I'm pretty sure those are all legitimate changes. This upgrade has a lot more going on under the hood than microsoft would admit... ;)

Back
Top Bottom