With your unannounced retirement looming did you still care?

I am in that period where no one knows and I could retire at any time. Due to our company's stage, my job has gotten much easier and work-related stress is much lower. I go into the office most days but usually just in the afternoon. I am well paid.

I make sure my responsibilities are covered, same as before. But less willing to entertain heroic efforts in doing so. There is just no need, and there truly never was.

I am definitely more candid about my views on company direction. I do care, but more for the folks whose jobs hang in the balance and who need those jobs.

All considered, it has been a good run. I know it will end soon and the end will be of.my choosing.

It is not a bad feeling.

Yes, but not as much.

I cared as much for our customers and I cared as much for the folks that reported to me.

No so much for the company though or our subk's and resellers.

Last edited:
What was your mindset when you knew your time was limited?

After I reached FI a few years ago and currently coasting, I feel I've been more honest and upfront. I am still responsible and accountable for myself and team, but I rarely sugarcoat the story due to an internal or external miss. The other leaders dislike being called out, but most I would not call a friend, so I don't stress over it.

I have found myself not following up to get others to meet their deadlines as much, don't need the headache. If a project is delayed, I point out the issue and suggest alternatives. It's usually overtime by various departments or revise the completion date. Notice, I didn't say my team or I work more. :D

Have not retired yet, but have changed jobs a few times over the years. I worked at relatively small businesses and gave roughly two weeks notice. (Knew from past experience they would think great, we'll save on her salary and not try to replace me until the - um - mud hit the fan.) I worked very hard to leave my files in good shape, prepare detailed exit memos, and sooth the clients who were attached to me. In fact, before I left my last job (16 years) I got pre-approval for some "projects" from the clients, for my co-workers who would be taking over for me. The time from which I gave notice until my last day was very stressful due to some toxic internal issues. In fact, I was the first of 1/2 of the professional staff to leave within a six month period.

Bottom line, I felt a responsibility to do my best for the clients, my co-workers who would be getting my files, and the business (whether or not the owners deserved that).

I'm still getting calls from time to time with questions on my old cases, lol.

Worked hard to the end, but pretty much knew a package was coming so a lot easier to do so.

I stopped doing any long term stuff which had been my strength. Just focused on clean up. Passed off anything of that long term nature to one of my colleagues.

When I was 56 I lost my then best friend, my father-in-law (who I was very close to) and my high school best friend all within a 3 month period. After the 3rd loss, I sat down with my boss and told him life was too short and that I wanted to be retired by the time a was 60.

When I was within 1 year of my planned departure he asked if I would work part time and I agreed to go to 3 days a week from home while he looked for a replacement. The company I worked for was a 3 person engineering company and I worked very independently on several projects so I knew I would need to be replaced by someone with a similar skillset. My boss did not look very aggressively and when my 61st birthday approached, I told him I was still serious about retiring. I retired on my 61st birthday and did no work for about 3 months. Then I got a phone call that one of his biggest clients wanted a new project and he wanted me to consult with him to get the job done. He was afraid they would dump him if hw did not take on the project. I agreed to help but I also told him I would get him in touch with a person I had worked with in the past that I knew would be a good fit. I said I didn't know his current status but that I knew he would be perfect. My boss said thanks he would consider it. Next thing I know he has hired someone (not the guy I suggested) and he asks if I can help get him up to speed. I said OK but the guy he hired was clueless and quits after one month. Long story short, I end up doing the project for him and then another project, and so forth.

When my 62nd birthday draws near my boss asks if I still want out. I say yes and he hires a new guy. This guy is even worse than the last and I get drawn back in to help out numerous more times. In the meantime, I get a call from my old colleague out of the blue (after not talking to him for almost 10 years) and he says he is not liking his current situation and he wants me to be a reference for him. I say OK and think that that ship has sailed. After about 6 months more of this going on, I get a call from the old colleague. He did not get the job he was looking for and is still not happy. I call my boss and tell him he must at least talk to this guy as I know he is a perfect fit. He is hesitant so I actually go into the office and sit in on the interview to introduce the two of them and to explain why I think this is a win-win hire. He hires him. He is a perfect fit. After 3 retirements and a near 7 year advance warning, I am free.

My boss continues to invite me to an annual Christmas dinner (including my former co-worker) where we catch up on all that has occurred in the past year.

In the last few months (I had not given advance notice) I cared about my work, but only to the extent of my direct responsibilities. There were long term changes that, ordinarily, I would have suggested. But the culture of my company was not interested, and my initial efforts would have fallen on deaf ears. It would have required persistence, and aggravation, to see any changes made. And that presumes the efforts would have ever succeeded.
Knowing what I did about the decision makers, I chose not to say anything and just focus on my responsibilities. For my situation, that was the better course.

This is my situation as well. It's really the main reason I cannot stay any longer. I can't invest more energy trying to convince the intellectually challenged of a better way to build the mouse trap. Essentially I give them enough rope to hang themselves, see how they do on their own. You can only spit into the wind so long.

I worked until the very last day. There was no letdown in caring about the job or the amount of effort I gave every day. But, when I walked out that door for the last time, I made a complete and final break. Suddenly the job was no longer my responsibility.

I am just making sure I meet deadlines and do not impact anyone elses deadlines that depend on me, within reason. I am trying to dodge new assignments and instead deflecting them to other workers.

It helps that a team member recently left Megacorp, and has not been replaced, so for a couple of months I can deflect/refuse certain requests with "since AAAA has gone, it is going to take us longer to accomplish certain things". This should work until my retirement. :)

What was your mindset when you knew your time was limited?
A month or so back, I let the gov't client know I was leaving FT work status early next year. Effectively, that put me in count-down-timer mode. Gov't was offering me a job, so I let them know of my planned end date. This eliminated any possibility of OMY.

My mindset overall has changed in that I now put more thought into what it will be like transitioning to retirement this time (had a previous tryout). But it hasn't really changed how I do work. I feel more satisfied in knowing that most office things are meaningless. I don't get involved much in the day-to-day nonsense. I moved to a window seat, and have a nice view of a parking lot being erected by a giant crane. Very-large precast concrete pieces are lifted into place, and locked down by tiny men (LOL). Just realized it is symbolic of my next life phase.

I have an offer for part-time work, and there is a possibility of telecommuting a day or two with current employer. So I'm pretty calm most days, and have no fear of an abyss or anything like that.

I gave my notice but told them I would stay on until they found a replacement. That took the better part of a a year. I did the job but it was really difficult to focus on the things I didn't like doing or anything that required long term strategy. It also changed the dynamic of my relationship with my team. After we found my replacement, it took another 4 months to get that person on seat (tied up on another project). When everyone knows you're leaving, you end up sidelined or not taken seriously. Depends on the job of course but all in all ... I think short transitions are much better than long drawn out ones.

As my last day on the j*b wound down, I had a lump in my throat the size of a softball. I was fortunate to have a sense of mission in my career, so when the end was in sight, I felt relief and regret in nearly equal measures. So yeah, I still did care, a lot.

For me it's the chicken and the egg issue. After 30 years of being a company man, I lost my dedication due to several organizational changes. This is probably the push I needed to retire. My glide path to retirement has been to use up about 200 hrs of PTO over my last 3 months. So I went from +40 hrs/week to about 16 hrs/week. I only do what needs to be done by me and push everything else to others as "transitioning" work load.

I had a feeling of detachment, almost amusement, as I'd sit in office meetings where they'd detail coming changes and put pressure on the troops to develop plans for the next year.

I had a feeling of detachment, almost amusement, as I'd sit in office meetings where they'd detail coming changes and put pressure on the troops to develop plans for the next year.
I wish I could detach, but I care. Still putting in extra time.

This is why I have to ER. I can never scale back. It is also why I will not go part time.

I plan to announce in about 4 weeks. We'll see what happens after that. I really need to not care anymore. I have a few moments in meetings like gcgang's, but in other meetings, I care.

Yes, in answer to the original question. That’s just the way I am. If it’s worth doing it’s worth doing to the utmost of my ability. Probably one of the many reasons I’ve been so stressed out. I guess it falls under the heading of “no good deed goes unpunished”. I’ve gotten so much additional workload in the last several years and yet no additional staffing. But I’m 9 months out from freedom...[emoji41]

Last edited:

Lots of great and interesting responses here as we all are cut from a different cloth and work in different enviroments but gcgang’s hit a nerve;

The Senior guy talks about the ‘new direction’. I smile but think to myself-this isnt new, it is repackaged old. I look around and the head bobbers bob. You’ll have to forgive me but I have unkind thoughts about them. I am amazingly bad at bobbing and have only continued to thrive because I deliver product.

Ill continue to deliver but I know it is time to leave. Im going to work 2 of 4 from home.

Change is the only constant

The Senior guy talks about the ‘new direction’. I smile but think to myself-this isnt new, it is repackaged old.

I remember when the 'new direction' was new... to me. I was fresh out of school, green as grass, in my first "career" j*b.

I also remember that, while the fast-track pinstripers presented their Case For Change, the Old F*rts of the day nodded obediently and kept their yaps shut.

I wonder when it really was new: The Industrial Revolution? The Renaissance? The Garden of Eden?

I look around and the head bobbers bob. You’ll have to forgive me but I have unkind thoughts about them. I am amazingly bad at bobbing .....

Great line! I too always had unkind thoughts about the head bobbers.

My megacorp is in the middle of an "organization transformation" complete with 'Experience Leaders'. How do they come up with this crap?

“Head bobbers”... great line. In my almost 3 decades at MegaCorp I have heard so much spin about new initiatives, that are really nothing more than repackaged old initiatives. Yeah we did that 4 years ago, 9 years ago 15 years ago and 22 years ago all of which were colossal failures, but you know this time it might actually work. Please, spare me. I know I’ve gotten somewhat more cynical over the years but also I know BS when I hear it...

Last edited:
4 months is a long time. Take it up with your manager - make it his/her headache.

I worked conscientiously till my last week. By then, I had transferred all my responsibilities and was just responding to the odd query. My colleagues had moved on - professionally speaking.

“Head bobbers”... great line. In my almost 3 decades at MegaCorp I have heard so much spin about new initiatives, that are really nothing more than repackaged old initiatives. Yeah we did that 4 years ago, 9 years ago 15 years ago and 22 years ago, but you know this time it might actually work. Please, spare me. I know I’ve gotten somewhat more cynical over the years but also I know BS when I hear it...

Head bobbers? Try chat-nosers. Many corporate meetings are on video these days, and most systems allow some sort of chat along with the video. Some of the chat is enough to make you puke. Beyond head bobbing or brown nosing. It is, I don't know, disturbing! Almost a kind of love expression to the Megacorp or head honchos. Some sort of cult like discussion. Like 1984 or something.

Great line! I too always had unkind thoughts about the head bobbers.

My megacorp is in the middle of an "organization transformation" complete with 'Experience Leaders'. How do they come up with this crap?

They recycle the old stuff but with a new name. I worked for a small (~800 people) company, but experienced the same cr*p.

They recycle the old stuff but with a new name. I worked for a small (~800 people) company, but experienced the same cr*p.

And paid big bucks to some consultant to come up with the rehashed program...

Back
Top Bottom