work from home small business

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Also, you could use the Old Testament and call it "Ask God." I would definitely want to be actively involved in the creation of that one. :D

--Greg

Uh Oh. Greg, I think you've taken this Alexander Haig thing just a little too far.... :eek:

REW

When we decided on the home business, we wanted something with low fixed and startup costs and good deductions. It also had to be someting that could be done while we are still holding on to the cube farm jobs. I read several small business tax guides to get an idea for what type of structure to look.

I had listed some conference proceedings books that were only good for propping up my futon from the floor. The stuff sold for more than a $100/piece. So we decided on selling used books online. Buying inventory is time consuming but low cost (just sold a $225 book today that I picked up for $1.50). Our start up expenses were less than $500. Our fixed expenses are less than $100/month (about 3% of revenue). The rest of our expenses are either direct expenses or converted personal to business expenses (second phone, internet, usage of home, utilities, mileage). Everything done according to the IRS rules.

I don't get phone calls during cube hours or at home and I can turn my inventory off when I go on vacation. We package orders after we get home and the post office comes to our house to pick it up. Our neighbor across the street just moved since his online business was getting too big. He started about three years ago. Went from $1000 to $25,000 revenue per month in that time. All he does is buy supplies for midwives wholesale and breaks it up in smaller quantities and sends it out after you order through his website. If you can think of the right thing to sell online, it is an easy thing to do.

Obvious red flags for the IRS are entertainment expenses and the like but we don't do that.

Vicky

Laurence,

I've been reading about people who blog for money.
I came across www.problogger.net whose owner claimed that he made $14k/mo recently. (it was his ft job)

Also, i read in Kiplinger mag about a guy who's website is about his personal finance.  i think he makes a good chunk of change from that site also.  (www.pfblog.com)

I wanted to start my own blog site, but so far have been too consumed with my property rehab project.  (i wanted to blog about that)

i think it's an interesting concept where you write about things that you already know so much about.. and while you keep your content fresh, it can help you generate money.  someone should start a blog about how to RE!  Another topic that's really popular is Poker.  If someone is a fanatic, this could get a lot of attention.

Good Luck.

My friend's family has run a photography business (while working as a teacher and retired). Another friend's dad runs a taxidermy business out of their basement. Another guy I know does small engine repair out of his garage (lots of mowers around though). A few people have doggie daycares and some do landscaping. Seems like there are lots of things to do and a lot have learned not to do a "regular job".

Back
Top Bottom