Would Upgrading From 19 to 24 Inch Monitor Make Much Difference?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Recently, I went ahead and got assimilated, so now my main PC is on (gulp) Windows 10.

One thing I noticed, the text seems smaller than when I was on Win 7. This is most noticeable when I use File Explorer. As for browsing, I can increase the magnification but no so when using File Explorer.

Which leads me to the topic title. I now have a 19 inch 1440 x 900 resolution monitor but am thinking of going to a 24 inch 1920x1080 which fits my size and budget preference.

Would such an upgrade make that much difference? I don't want to end up with a bigger monitor but then all the texts end up tiny and difficult to read on the screen with better resolution, but then still having to squint.

Buy one locally to try it out & so returning is easy if you don't like it?

I bought the kid a 24" monitor for their senior year high school photography class, which they used with a mechanical keyboard & 13" MacBook Pro.

They're taking the same setup with them to university this fall.

If there are only certain things that you want to magnify you might want to try using the Magnifier under "Ease of Access".

Another option is to go a store and see what it looks like "in real life"

In the Windows 10 settings, under "System", click on "Display".

Under "Scale and Layout", there's a drop down menu for changing the size of text, apps, and other items. On my laptop, I have that set at 125% even though my resolution is 1920x1080. Apparently I could go as high as 175%.

Might be worth playing around with that a little? Unless you already have, of course.

From one person with aging eyes, to another who is squinting, my best wishes that you will end up being able to see things better.

I would recommend that you go with the 24" 1920x1080. That is pretty much standard these days on desktops - after switching I found my 22" monitor too small and passed it down to DS for use as a second monitor with his laptop.

When I redo my office I'm going with a 4K 40 inch curved. Off the desk, on the wall and really BIG - :)

Yes.

Yes.

I went to an Hp 27er (it was on sale, less expensive than the 25).

At first I thought it was too big. Now....I love it.

Why stop at 24"? I use an Acer G277HL as my main display - a 27" model (I used to have a 24 and found it too small!). Less than $200 for 1920 x 1080. I really like it and highly recommend.

Thanks for the tips.

I like the ideas of trying the magnification setting (didn't meet what I am looking for) on Win 10 and if getting a monitor, get one that is returnable in case doesn't work out.

Last edited:
In the Windows 10 settings, under "System", click on "Display".

Under "Scale and Layout", there's a drop down menu for changing the size of text, apps, and other items. On my laptop, I have that set at 125% even though my resolution is 1920x1080. Apparently I could go as high as 175%.

Might be worth playing around with that a little? Unless you already have, of course.

From one person with aging eyes, to another who is squinting, my best wishes that you will end up being able to see things better.

This ^^. There are settings to increase the font size. Try it on your current monitor.

When I redo my office I'm going with a 4K 40 inch curved. Off the desk, on the wall and really BIG - :)

This^^ :) :dance: ::cool:

My next monitor will be very large. In fact, I’m going to hook up my 40” tv and see how that works. It’s new enough that I think it will work fine. I just want a bigger tv in the living room. If it doesn’t work well, I have my eye on a 30+ inch monitor at Costco.

Reactions: W2R
Are you folks with the large large monitors seating on the sofa across the room or at computer desk? :popcorn:

I bought a Samsung 32" UHD (3840x2160) monitor a couple of months ago. This monitor is an absolute beauty. Photos and documents look sensational. I replaced two 23" 1080P monitors with this one. If you have the GPU and CPU horsepower, go for a UHD monitor.

Are you folks with the large large monitors seating on the sofa across the room or at computer desk? :popcorn:

I’m at a desk. I want the real estate for multiple open windows. Totally not necessary but one of my wants. Plus, as with the OP, I want things to be bigger so I don’t have to have my glasses on to read.

Monitor is on the corner of my desk. 24 inches from my eyes. Perfect...with my previous pair of glasses.

I agree. Don't bother with 24 or 25. Go big. You will not regret it (as long as you have the space)

Mine is a 27" wide screen with a slight curve. Always go as big as comfort and budget permit. And if budget is the issue, wait 60 days and the size you want will be within it.

Would such an upgrade make that much difference? I don't want to end up with a bigger monitor but then all the texts end up tiny and difficult to read on the screen with better resolution, but then still having to squint.

Look at the numbers you posted - the pixel count goes up with the size, so ~ same Dots Per Inch, so I'd expect the text to be the same size regardless. You just get more screen real estate (filled with more text that is too small to read!).

Try the magnification settings that were recommended. You want things bigger on the screen, not necessarily more screen. If the screen real estate is too small once you get a text size you like, then look at a larger monitor, using those settings..

-ERD50

Look at the numbers you posted - the pixel count goes up with the size, so ~ same Dots Per Inch, so I'd expect the text to be the same size regardless. You just get more screen real estate (filled with more text that is too small to read!).

Try the magnification settings that were recommended. You want things bigger on the screen, not necessarily more screen. If the screen real estate is too small once you get a text size you like, then look at a larger monitor, using those settings..

-ERD50

That's what I'm afraid of. Bigger screen but same tiny text. Higher resolution but still tiny.

I tried the magnification, but didn't like. Magnified did add some blur (like to the icons on the desktop). On a browser page, magnified made the look, to me feel like I cut off areas of what I wanted to see.

Did you try picking a different screen resolution setting in Windows 10 and see what it looks like?

Unless monitors have changed drastically recently, there is a "native mode" resolution that is quoted in the monitor's description, but will run fine at most other resolutions.

In Windows 10: Settings -> Ease of Access -> Display, then under Related Settings choose Additional Display Settings, then pick a different resolution out of the table, starting close to what it is showing there now.

I have 19" diagonal 5:4 aspect ratio monitor. With my eyesight, I run it at 1024 x 768. When my old fluorescent-backlit monitor's fluorescent tubes started to go, I thought of getting a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. But a 16:9 has a very shallow-sloped diagonal, meaning it would take a very big 16:9 to get the same vertical screen height as my 5:4 19". So I was able to find another 5:4 with LED backlighting, which I've had for a few years.

I need vertical screen height, so I can use a reasonable (for MY eyes) resolution and have lots of text lines on the screen, not scrolling constantly. People with young eyes just run 16:9 monitors with a resolution setting that gives them a decent number of text lines, but the text, icons, everything, is microscopic to me.

Last edited:
Why stop at 24"? I use an Acer G277HL as my main display - a 27" model (I used to have a 24 and found it too small!). Less than $200 for 1920 x 1080. I really like it and highly recommend.

For several years I used a laptop with a 17" screen to edit photos. Last year I got a new desktop for that, and I was going to go with a 24" monitor, thinking that was plenty big enough. While shopping for the hardware around Thanksgiving, there was a special deal on a Dell 27" 4K monitor for $400. That is what I got and it is awesome. (from the desk)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom