Would you hire day laborers from the Home Depot parking lot?

I wouldn't hire a stranger to work around the house that wasn't licensed and insured. I want to minimize my chances of getting sued. It is not worth the risk to me to save a few bucks in the short term.

I have hired some guys to place concrete. But I just handed my card to some guys who were working another job, and got their names. I figured since they already had a 'real' job, they had more to lose than a guy hustling outside the home center. Sort of like telephone calls...If I initiate the connection, I'm much more confident than if someone else does.

I think you all are right, the risk isn't worth the savings for the work I need done.

I did a rental rehab with 2 guys from a homeless shelter. The woman i hired to paint worked at the shelter so she hand picked them. Even with her "screening" one kid only lasted a couple days. The other worked out great (I'll use him again).

I have paid cash to laborers from Mexico and Central America quite a few times, but this was for strictly unskilled labor. Mostly moving, loading, digging or basic yard work. I have only had good luck and actually a good time talking with them about their experiences in the USA. Due to language skills, I have always been the intermediary when helping friends who needed some unskilled labor for the day.

Back
Top Bottom