Would you leave Russia?

No doubt the Iron Curtain is closing fast and only a matter of time until Putin stops people from leaving the country.

This is one of my thoughts. I’ve seen articles suggesting martial law and a closing of the Russian borders may be coming soon. My friend has often spoke of leaving and has been saving like an ER advocate. But saying and actually doing are two different things.

Even without borders closing its getting harder. flight to places like Istanbul ar3 booked for days as well as trains out to places like Helsinki.

I’m not talking about investments like the other thread. I mean physically leaving if you were a Russian citizen. I have a young friend there who asked me that last night. She fears they will become, in her words, North Korea. She’s thinking about packing up and getting out forever.

I know there are members here who have done that kind of thing. I was wondering how you would advise someone? Advice, tips, warnings, etc.

I’ve often thought about how hard this would be when I am doing genealogy research and I get to the ancestors who made that leap.
yes, if it were me I'd like to think that I would get the heck outta there pronto. it's only going to get worse.

yes, if it were me I'd like to think that I would get the heck outta there pronto. it's only going to get worse.

Where can a Russian citizen actually go make a new life. I think Ukrainians have a shot at asylum in some countries,but I don't think Russians have that opportunity.

I considered this when the riots of Minneapolis were going on. I don't live in Minneapolis, but even that smaller scale destruction was hard to watch and had me considering.

I've been to Minneapolis twice since the destruction, all the looting, burning of buildings etc...it was "like" a war zone.

I would leave Russia, but I might not know what I am leaving to, and not knowing that it would be better or worse, I could understand the tough choices. If I absolutely knew a better opportunity was waiting for me somewhere else, depending how much better, I would consider leaving my home state today. I did this when I was younger 4 times and kept coming back home.

I am just thankful I don't "need" to make those choices and am still pretty content with my suburbia lifestyle.

Where can a Russian citizen actually go make a new life. I think Ukrainians have a shot at asylum in some countries,but I don't think Russians have that opportunity.

Some were actually getting to Mexico, buying a cheap car to cross, and then ask for asylum. They’ve had both Russians and Ukrainians doing this. Apparently your odds are better when in a car! I think any opposition activity in Russia might qualify you.

I like the phone idea. Also I will stress “operational security”. A couple of her friends are heading to India. Another has German relatives and may head in that direction.

How do people get money out if they have some modest savings? Cash, gold coins? I’m talking well under 6 figures.

With digital assets like Bitcoin you can leave with just a password in your head and retrieve them on the other side.

A YouTube escaping China did this.

PS the discussion of the validity of crypto is not appropriate for this site. But it is an answer to this question

Between 1892 and 1893 my Jewish ancestors emigrated from Ukraine. They made a good choice, and there descendants avoided a lot of heck that was certainly worse than the heck they had already suffered.

So, my advice to someone there would be to go with your first guess. If they're thinking negative about their situation now, it won't be getting better.

I can't imagine being in that quandary - to leave my country of birth or to stay. From my safe vantage point here, I think I'd get out. But I have no idea what it would be like in reality. That's one of the many things I thank God I don't have to deal with. YMMV

It's no easy thing living as a stranger in a strange land, but I would think it's better than dying in your own. The younger your friend, the easier it will be for them.

It would be very hard to advise a Russian, we couldn't possibly know what it's like to live there, nor can we predict the future for the West. It would depend on family, age, transferable work skills, languages, and many other factors. There's no right answer for all Russians?

There are a lot of Russians living in my area. Several are here running a business that involves their relatives in Russia. How they will be affected by the new restrictions is beyond me.

IMO, leaving one's home which is full of family and friends is always a difficult choice.

Yeah, it's relatively easy for my wife's little sister as while she had a job it wasn't something she loved, and she didn't have a boyfriend or anything to tie her there besides her mom. For their mom, it's a much less clear choice as I outlined above.

The people in this position most certainly have my sympathy. DW and I were talking about our recent cruise trip that had a few nights in St Petersburg, and how that would not be happening again.
I realized that the people were quite welcoming and it was not their fault what's happening now. It was still an accurate observation we would not go back there after this war.

This thread reminds me of a time about 18 years ago I took an hour-long taxi ride home from Dulles airport. The guy driving was from one of the Mideast countries (I forget which one) and had a prominent sign near the rear view mirror that he was a naturalized U.S. citizen (and proud of it!) and I commented to him that it was a gutsy thing to do, to move to another country not knowing a soul or the language, or what he would do when he got there. He said something along the lines of "It is true that I did not know what I would find or what I would do when I got here. But I did know that there was no future where I was. That made the decision a lot easier."

And whenever I find myself thinking "poor, poor pitiful me" because of this, that or the other thing, I remind myself about that guy, who knew how bad things can be and was grateful to have a condominium apartment and a job driving a taxi in a place where no one was shooting at him.

The people in this position most certainly have my sympathy. DW and I were talking about our recent cruise trip that had a few nights in St Petersburg, and how that would not be happening again.
I realized that the people were quite welcoming and it was not their fault what's happening now. It was still an accurate observation we would not go back there after this war.

We've been talking for years about going to visit Russia so my wife could show me her country, but Covid happened, and now this so I have no idea if I will ever get to see where she grew up, etc.

This thread reminds me of a time about 18 years ago I took an hour-long taxi ride home from Dulles airport. The guy driving was from one of the Mideast countries (I forget which one) and had a prominent sign near the rear view mirror that he was a naturalized U.S. citizen (and proud of it!) and I commented to him that it was a gutsy thing to do, to move to another country not knowing a soul or the language, or what he would do when he got there. He said something along the lines of "It is true that I did not know what I would find or what I would do when I got here. But I did know that there was no future where I was. That made the decision a lot easier."

And whenever I find myself thinking "poor, poor pitiful me" because of this, that or the other thing, I remind myself about that guy, who knew how bad things can be and was grateful to have a condominium apartment and a job driving a taxi in a place where no one was shooting at him.

We had quite of few like that at Megacorp. Adjacent to me were the finance folks. One from Belarus, one from Bulgaria, and one from Poland. I think the CFO had a thing for Eastern European ladies! All great people and the Belarusian was so happy when she became a citizen. We had a nice celebration and cake that day.

We've been talking for years about going to visit Russia so my wife could show me her country, but Covid happened, and now this so I have no idea if I will ever get to see where she grew up, etc.
that sucks. We all do it, put off things or other priorities step up. I wish only the best for you and her and family that are stuck in this situation.

Interesting to read the thread.
As a legal immigrant, at age 17, from the days when the US had quotas, strict border enforcement, medical test requirements, interviews by US authorities before allowing my entry, it was a relatively rough time after arrival.
Strange culture, not understanding the language, took a good bit of effort to get with the program. Language was tough to learn, Spent several month with dictionaires to translate a two page center article from the NY Post. Got some small jobs washing neighbors cars, painting fences and basements.
Soon, Uncle Sam decided to draft me. Being a green card holder made me eligible for military service. Volunteered an extra year to get the MOS I wanted.
English learning accelarated rapidly in the Army. Failing to understand commands gave many opportunities for pushups. Learned much descriptive languge for everyday things and activites, many of the descriptors started with Fu.. or invoking the name of sevaral deities like Go*...... Finally after honorably exiting the service, ran the gauntlet of citizenship application, examination, finally a judge declered me and a few hundred other in lower Manhattan Federal Courthouse a Naturalized citizen. Then spent another 14 years in the active reserves.

In the end looking back 57 years later, was well worth the hassle and effort. Am comfortably retired for over 14 years. I have earned the right to vote as well as to criticize the gummint, I sure don't like the current trajectory of the US. However, being on the exit slope of life, I will let the more youthful population determine their future. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m not talking about investments like the other thread. I mean physically leaving if you were a Russian citizen. I have a young friend there who asked me that last night. She fears they will become, in her words, North Korea. She’s thinking about packing up and getting out forever.

I know there are members here who have done that kind of thing. I was wondering how you would advise someone? Advice, tips, warnings, etc.

I’ve often thought about how hard this would be when I am doing genealogy research and I get to the ancestors who made that leap.

Tell your friend *not* to carry her 'phone with her (or get a second, clean one) in Russia right now. I read that Russian police are randomly stopping people on the street and forcing them to give them access to their social media, email, etc. How ruthless.

-BB

Interesting to read the thread.
As a legal immigrant, at age 17, from the days when the US had quotas, strict border enforcement, medical test requirements, interviews by US authorities before allowing my entry, it was a relatively rough time after arrival.
Strange culture, not understanding the language, took a good bit of effort to get with the program. Language was tough to learn, Spent several month with dictionaires to translate a two page center article from the NY Post. Got some small jobs washing neighbors cars, painting fences and basements.
Soon, Uncle Sam decided to draft me. Being a green card holder made me eligible for military service. Volunteered an extra year to get the MOS I wanted.
English learning accelarated rapidly in the Army. Failing to understand commands gave many opportunities for pushups. Learned much descriptive languge for everyday things and activites, many of the descriptors started with Fu.. or invoking the name of sevaral deities like Go*...... Finally after honorably exiting the service, ran the gauntlet of citizenship application, examination, finally a judge declered me and a few hundred other in lower Manhattan Federal Courthouse a Naturalized citizen. Then spent another 14 years in the active reserves.

In the end looking back 57 years later, was well worth the hassle and effort. Am comfortably retired for over 14 years. I have earned the right to vote as well as to criticize the gummint, I sure don't like the current trajectory of the US. However, being on the exit slope of life, I will let the more youthful population determine their future. Good luck.

Wow! What a great story. I hope you are writing a book. We need to add your perspective to current perspectives about citizenship. Thanks and aloha.

Here is a video of a young Russian couple and their daughter that left Russia a couple of days ago. She also also changed her YouTube account name from MinimalRussianGirl to her actual name due to the amount of hate comments she was getting.

It’s an interesting perspective.

https://youtu.be/M6fZ3HgYwWI

And another young Russian who left days ago. He also interviewed a 27 year old Russian chemist who also left Russia.

https://youtu.be/43YNPB8py1s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom