Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my view you get spread when people stop assuming everyone had Covid. If you just make that assumption, you will naturally take precautions if you wish to avoid it.

What you really want to know is of the X number of people admitted to the hospital on any given day for a car accident or falling off a ladder or something like that, how many of them test positive.
That gives you an idea of how bad the community spread is.

Surely every patient admitted to hospital these days is tested for Covid. Nothing worse than admitting Covid patients into non-Covid wards and exposing sick and injured people to them.

The CDC is monitoring community incidence through seroprevalence. They are slow to cough up the data. Last study I could find from the blood donor population was still less than 10% (more like 4%). Blood donors due tend to be more careful and likely represent a number less than the general population. I think the trends would be the interesting part.

Wonder what today's numbers are, and what the trend is?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/blood-bank-serosurvey.html

CDC is conducting a nationwide COVID-19 seroprevalence survey of blood donors to:

• Understand the percentage of people in the United States who have antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • Track how this percentage changes over time.

On NPR this morning it was reported that Sweden's experiment has not worked (they have had many more cases and deaths than neighboring countries without the expected economic benefits) so that Sweden is changing its tactics--more closures, no gatherings larger than 8 people, etc.

I give blood, the antibody test they automatically do is a bonus. Still no exposure. I have yet to have any friends come back positive on those tests. So many people I know are like SO SO sure they have had it already, I've gotten a few to give blood because of the free testing and they were like oh, I showed negative. Hoping it changes their behavior.. since if you believe you already had it, you assume you are immune and thus took no precautions.

Hoping it changes their behavior.. since if you believe you already had it, you assume you are immune and thus took no precautions.
That would be my sister.

We have discussed blood donation and she said she would do it, but keeps dragging her feet.

I think she's keeping the blinders up because she feels she can be riskier because she "knows" she had it after a visit to Seattle last February. You'd think she would want the verification, but I think she's afraid of a negative test result and wouldn't have the excuse to live "out there" anymore.

Really weird psychology. We are so different.

On NPR this morning it was reported that Sweden's experiment has not worked (they have had many more cases and deaths than neighboring countries without the expected economic benefits) so that Sweden is changing its tactics--more closures, no gatherings larger than 8 people, etc.
Sweden has a large surge happening right now. Population not confident with policy, and government is increasing restrictions to battle their second wave.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...s-strategy-to-combat-the-pandemic-11606395323
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ategy-sidelined-government.html?ITO=applenews

Last edited:
My dear family (10 in all) returning from Florida. We'll see in 10-14 days if it was worth the Thanksgiving vacation. We stayed home.

Why did that make me think of this?

Attachments

• Barn.jpg
    Barn.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Horses.jpg
    Horses.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 42
My dear family (10 in all) returning from Florida. We'll see in 10-14 days if it was worth the Thanksgiving vacation. We stayed home.
My wife and I enjoyed our day together and the relaxing virus free phone calls to family. I know it would be worth it to me not to have the stress and worry for the days leading up to the thought of being exposed and the 2 weeks after returning.

We did without and saved for decades to retire. Now we miss the travel we looked forward to but the past 10-11 months haven't really been much of a problem as we stayed at home. We are thankful that we have been able to avoid the virus and enjoy our backyard with it's pergola and garden, riding bikes or walking everyday, walking through the zoo while avoiding people or picnicking on isolated hiking trails, and the occasional trips to the commissary/grocery with masks on. It just hasn't been that much of an inconvenience.

The people that are fighting this virus, the doctors and nurses, those that have lost their jobs or don't have a place to live or are going hungry have something to be concerned about. Everyone else are just whiners.

Cheers!

Reactions: jj
My wife and I enjoyed our day together and the relaxing virus free phone calls to family. I know it would be worth it to me not to have the stress and worry for the days leading up to the thought of being exposed and the 2 weeks after returning.

We did without and saved for decades to retire. Now we miss the travel we looked forward to but the past 10-11 months haven't really been much of a problem as we stayed at home. We are thankful that we have been able to avoid the virus and enjoy our backyard with it's pergola and garden, riding bikes or walking everyday, walking through the zoo while avoiding people or picnicking on isolated hiking trails, and the occasional trips to the commissary/grocery with masks on. It just hasn't been that much of an inconvenience.

The people that are fighting this virus, the doctors and nurses, those that have lost their jobs or don't have a place to live or are going hungry have something to be concerned about. Everyone else are just whiners.

Cheers!

+100

SIL tested positive a week or so ago and is recovering. BIL was ill also but dr told not to bother with testing. If she has it - he has it. He started having trouble breathing and went to dr where he tested negative for pneumonia but positive for Covid. He seems to be getting better.

DW’s cousin tested positive and had been visiting his sister and 95 yo father. So far sister and father are ok. sister also visited us, but we are ok here.

And a friend just got sick and tested - results not back yet. But he has headaches and vision problems.

Our county had 11 deaths as of a week ago, and then 5 died in a single day.

SIL tested positive a week or so ago and is recovering. BIL was ill also but dr told not to bother with testing. If she has it - he has it.
I'll bet there is a lot of that.... That and all the asymptomatic makes me wonder just how high the real numbers are.... Double, triple, or more....

Wish you all the best.

That would be my sister.

I think she's keeping the blinders up because she feels she can be riskier because she "knows" she had it after a visit to Seattle last February
I know lots of guys who live here, who have been going to work pretty close to daily and who have not caught Covid. It just seems to be a mystery.

Ha

I know lots of guys who live here, who have been going to work pretty close to daily and who have not caught Covid. It just seems to be a mystery.

Might be more accurate to say "haven't had any Covid symptoms". The number of of asymptomatic cases is the mystery.

Nice to see you posting again...

The CDC is monitoring community incidence through seroprevalence. They are slow to cough up the data. Last study I could find from the blood donor population was still less than 10% (more like 4%). Blood donors due tend to be more careful and likely represent a number less than the general population. I think the trends would be the interesting part.

Wonder what today's numbers are, and what the trend is?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/blood-bank-serosurvey.html

My husband is a regular blood donor but stopped due to fear of covid risk while donating. Where he donates it's a converted bus... He recently donated again for the first time since covid.

Pre-covid: 4 blood bank workers. 6 donors at a time, plus one eating cookies and drinking juice, and another 1-2 doing intake BP, iron test, questionaire. Pretty crowded for the small space.

He donated 2 weeks ago - still 4 workers. 3 actively donating (appt only). Plus an intake donor. The cookie and juice were done outside. Still pretty crowded. Even though everyone was masked up. Hubby was convinced his potential exposure was high.

He's made the decision not to donate until he's vaccinated.

(I don't donate because I tend towards iron deficiency and get rejected about 50% of the time.)

His antibodies showed negative...

I wonder if blood donors, as a group, tend to be more cautious types?

My husband is a regular blood donor but stopped due to fear of covid risk while donating. Where he donates it's a converted bus... He recently donated again for the first time since covid.

Pre-covid: 4 blood bank workers. 6 donors at a time, plus one eating cookies and drinking juice, and another 1-2 doing intake BP, iron test, questionaire. Pretty crowded for the small space.

He donated 2 weeks ago - still 4 workers. 3 actively donating (appt only). Plus an intake donor. The cookie and juice were done outside. Still pretty crowded. Even though everyone was masked up. Hubby was convinced his potential exposure was high.

(I don't donate because I tend towards iron deficiency and get rejected about 50% of the time.)

His antibodies showed negative...

I am also a regular donor, with over 8 gallons donated to date, but I'm also not going in again until I've been vaccinated. An hour or so in a relatively small indoor space, even if people are masked, carries a risk of infection.

Ha
Glad to see you posting. We missed your sensible outlook and views.

It is indeed a mystery. We have eaten lunch inside a restaurant 188 of the 199 days since this May 15th when it was first allowed once again here. Neither of us have even had a cold or virus of any kind since before the pandemic.

As REW points out, maybe we have had asymptomatic COVID. But one would think that with us being in the most vulnerable subset (old, obese, diabetic, high BP, etc), we'd at least notice. Nope.

In New Orleans, only 2.2% of COVID tests come out positive. We have not been tested but I suspect that if tested, we would be in the 97.8% fraction instead of the 2.2%. That said, we have followed all the rules like masking and social distancing.

Covid is not easily spread by all of those who have it. All folks do not have the same susceptibility to it.

And some of us are immune.

I am also a regular donor, with over 8 gallons donated to date, but I'm also not going in again until I've been vaccinated. An hour or so in a relatively small indoor space, even if people are masked, carries a risk of infection.
Gumby and rodi's DH: thank you for your donations. There is absolutely no shame in not donating during this pandemic. It's OK. Join up again when things get better.

I would avoid bus/bloodmobiles at all cost. I'm donating because my center is cavernous. See picture below.
20180723-RaleighCenter-071.jpg

There is a good 30 feet between the foot of these beds and the foot of the beds on the opposite side, where a similar setup exists.

That said, this is not a zero risk situation. I'm doing this only because I have low risk factors for severe disease, and I have a few N95s I saved just for this purpose. Platelet donation has an extra risk since I'm hooked up for nearly 2 hours. But, I was blessed with the mother of all bleeding veins, and it is just something I can do. I never served as a cop, firefighter, or soldier. This is my thing for society. Not everyone can or should do this.

BTW: as far as donors being cautions, the answer is YES. Donors tend to not exhibit risky behaviors such as drug use or visiting sketchy tattoo parlors.

Last edited:
That would be my sister.

We have discussed blood donation and she said she would do it, but keeps dragging her feet.

I think she's keeping the blinders up because she feels she can be riskier because she "knows" she had it after a visit to Seattle last February. You'd think she would want the verification, but I think she's afraid of a negative test result and wouldn't have the excuse to live "out there" anymore.

Really weird psychology. We are so different.

It would most likely be negative if she got it in February. The antibodies only last a few months. T cell immunity etc. seems to last much longer.

I just received an email from Primis Medical.
15% off using code CYBER15.
https://primismedical.com/
They currently have Made in USA N95.

Received a box of 50 Honeywell n95 masks from Primis Medical today. Inside was a tag indicating they were made in China. It's disappointing because we're doing our best not to reward China with any of our money going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom