Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas!

I suppose that I could catch the virus sooner or later. I follow mask rules, but I’m not going to hunker down in my basement forever waiting for the virus to die down on it’s own.

I’m going to live my life as safe as possible, but doing the same things and going the same places as I did before Covid.

We’ve been on road trips, stayed in hotels, have eaten in restaurants - washing / sanitizing and wearing masks when necessary. I’m still a little wary of air travel and crowds, so we will stay away from planes and crowds for a while. But otherwise, life goes on.

It’s a serious concern. You stress out your medical personnel (already true), you load up so many cases that you don’t have enough doctors and nurses let alone facilities, more doctors and nurses start dying due to COVID exposure - this is just a giant downward spiral type recipe for disaster.
Yeah, seems like I've already seen this movie. Take care.

Please don't beat me up over this but does anybody really think they will come out of this unscathed? We are talking about a virus that isn't going anywhere. From what I understand, it's every bit as infectious as the common cold. It also appears to be able to be "caught" multiple times. Are we really willing to allow our fear, of what appears to be inevitable, to destroy our economy? I simply had to ask this question for my peace of mind.
Who is proposing to do away with money and/or barter to deal with the pandemic? How can you even destroy an economy? I think you are listening to fearmongers who have their own agenda.

How would the economy fare if we suddenly had tens of millions of people sick, hospitals overflowing, and body bags stacked up like cordwood? Worse than now, I assure you, as people in the ICU or the morgue do not work or shop any more. "The economy" is just the collective fiscal actions of the people, and if many of those people are sick or dying, their actions will most certainly be affected.

The real question is, do we want to "reopen the economy", in which case a lot more people will be dead and disabled and the economy will still suffer because of that, or do we want to shut down where we can to limit the spread of the disease, and reduce the number of people sick and dying, and have the economy suffer because we are trying to save lives? Even if "the economy" would do somewhat better in the former situation, I challenge you to choose who among those you know that you would choose to sacrifice to improve unemployment statistics or the GDP.

Please don't beat me up over this but does anybody really think they will come out of this unscathed? We are talking about a virus that isn't going anywhere. From what I understand, it's every bit as infectious as the common cold. It also appears to be able to be "caught" multiple times. Are we really willing to allow our fear, of what appears to be inevitable, to destroy our economy? I simply had to ask this question for my peace of mind.

I think we'd agree that it is not just fear - the virus, and its effects, is real. Unless you believe that the virus is a farce. I also don't think everybody catching it is inevitable. I trust that there will be a vaccine, and it will curb the spread. I will believe this until proven otherwise.

The term "destroying our economy" is a hyperbole, but there is a valid question of how do we manage our economy and the lives that the restrictions are having. The problem is the more we open up, the faster the spread will be, the greater the chance that there will be another shut down. On the other hand, the more closed and draconian the measures, the greater likelihood that we can get back to normal faster, which lessons the economic impact in the long run, the greater the call for more personal liberty.

Perhaps we can all move on, and back to simple discussions on the current state of covid, as this thread intended.

The "safety vs. the economy" debate, such as it is, is very 6-months-ago, and further discussion is not going to change any minds here now. Worse, it may lead to the types of disagreements that result in...well, ya know.

Last edited:
We should change the title of this thread from Wow, it's getting really scary in Texas to Wow, it's getting really scary nationwide.

My county's 7 day average of new infections has almost tripled since it's low back in early September. In slightly less than two months it has gone up 290%. The state's average has almost doubled in the last two month - up 180%. Very sad.

We should change the title of this thread from Wow, it's getting really scary in Texas to Wow, it's getting really scary nationwide.

My county's 7 day average of new infections has almost tripled since it's low back in early September. In slightly less than two months it has gone up 290%. The state's average has almost doubled in the last two month - up 180%. Very sad.
You can start a new thread? This Texas thread was started back in the summer when the major outbreak was concentrated in a few southern states plus CA.

Yes, very sad.

1. If we lift restrictions which lets everyone catch it at the same time, with the current limited treatments available hospitals will be overwhelmed. In addition to making it impossible for all the sick folks to get treated, thus far more deaths, this will also damage the economy - reduce economic activity. It could also really mess up the medical care system.
  2. The longer someone can avoid catching COVID-19, the better the chances of improved treatments and even preventative measures like vaccines. Who wants to risk some of the long term debilitating effects when in 6 months there is a chance one or more vaccines are available that at the very least reduce the risks of bad outcomes?
  3. It’s a myth that we can completely open and thus restore the economy in the middle of a raging epidemic where many people get really sick as well as easily infect others. Even if all government restrictions are lifted, individuals will hide out if they don’t feel safe, and that has a big negative impact on the economy. You can’t force individuals to ignore the virus and endanger their health/lives. The less safe the everyday world around them appears to be, the more individuals will retrench. Paradoxically it is most people following the safety guidelines that makes it possible for people to go out and interact more and allows much more of the economy to function. The countries that are seeing economic improvements are the countries that have gotten their case rates down so far they can lift most or all restrictions. It doesn’t work the other way around.

Agreed - or if I do it will be extremely minor due to vaccine or super treatments available.

I also believe that dose matters. I’m careful today because if I do get exposed, I prefer it be a very small dose that ends up being asymptomatic or an extremely mild case.
+1! I just don't understand why your succinct points seem so difficult for some folks to understand.

I am beyond thankful that I am financially able to stay home during the dark months ahead.

I just don't understand why your succinct points seem so difficult for some folks to understand.

Even if the people who want to "open the economy" do keep everything open, there is a sizeable portion of the population that will not participate. Buy groceries - yes. Eating inside a restaurant - no.
This alone will drag down that economy.

Those who want to "open the economy" need to understand basic psychology.
Telling people to do something when their instincts tell them to do otherwise won't get you anywhere.
The instinct for self preservation is primal.

1. If we lift restrictions which lets everyone catch it at the same time, with the current limited treatments available hospitals will be overwhelmed. In addition to making it impossible for all the sick folks to get treated, thus far more deaths, this will also damage the economy - reduce economic activity. It could also really mess up the medical care system.
  2. The longer someone can avoid catching COVID-19, the better the chances of improved treatments and even preventative measures like vaccines. Who wants to risk some of the long term debilitating effects when in 6 months there is a chance one or more vaccines are available that at the very least reduce the risks of bad outcomes?
  3. It’s a myth that we can completely open and thus restore the economy in the middle of a raging epidemic where many people get really sick as well as easily infect others. Even if all government restrictions are lifted, individuals will hide out if they don’t feel safe, and that has a big negative impact on the economy. You can’t force individuals to ignore the virus and endanger their health/lives. The less safe the everyday world around them appears to be, the more individuals will retrench. Paradoxically it is most people following the safety guidelines that makes it possible for people to go out and interact more and allows much more of the economy to function. The countries that are seeing economic improvements are the countries that have gotten their case rates down so far they can lift most or all restrictions. It doesn’t work the other way around.

Agreed - or if I do it will be extremely minor due to vaccine or super treatments available.

I also believe that dose matters. I’m careful today because if I do get exposed, I prefer it be a very small dose that ends up being asymptomatic or an extremely mild case.

+1. Extremely well put. This really aligns with the approach that our family has been taking. Do what you can to avoid the virus without completely becoming a recluse. Doing the recommended public health activities (mask and social distancing), is a small, but manageable price to pay for public safety.

We have resumed some of our activities. We see a few of our friends and go to restaurants when they aren’t busy. Everyone is handling this differently. My son and his wife haven’t done anything but a walk or drive since January. They will sit outside at our house but won’t come in. Winter is right around the corner so this will be ending. My youngest son moved in with us in April and started working in July. We only go shopping every few weeks.

I've been playing sr softball since July, and it ended in October. We had one teammate that tested positive after losing his sense of taste, but that was the extent of his symptoms and he was virus free the following week. He is 72 yo. Also we resumed our breakfast club about 3 weeks ago with ~ 15 friends, no one has any acquaintances that have had the virus and other than the one softball teammate, I do not know anyone who has contacted the virus. When you don't really see much in your personal sphere, it kind of makes you wonder where all these cases are coming from.

I've been playing sr softball since July, and it ended in October. We had one teammate that tested positive after losing his sense of taste, but that was the extent of his symptoms and he was virus free the following week. He is 72 yo. Also we resumed our breakfast club about 3 weeks ago with ~ 15 friends, no one has any acquaintances that have had the virus and other than the one softball teammate, I do not know anyone who has contacted the virus. When you don't really see much in your personal sphere, it kind of makes you wonder where all these cases are coming from.

You are so lucky that you have few friends with the virus. I know 3 people who have died from the virus and at least 12 others who have had the virus and 4 of those still have long term effects. These people are scattered all over my state and a few in other states. I am afraid that eventually everyone will know someone who has died from Covid.

Also we resumed our breakfast club about 3 weeks ago with ~ 15 friends, no one has any acquaintances that have had the virus and other than the one softball teammate, I do not know anyone who has contacted the virus. When you don't really see much in your personal sphere, it kind of makes you wonder where all these cases are coming from.

Well, in my area a lot came from the colleges in October, especially Greek Row. Since I have no college students or Greeks in my immediate circle it did not affect me much.

Our area goes on another governor imposed indoor dining/ bar shutdown starting tomorrow. From what I see, people are less apt to follow this mandate this time. Some restaurants are advertising that they are staying open.

We're lucky to be retired and in good health. We can abide by the rules and stay healthy without disrupting our lives. Working people, businesses, old people with health issues, and people with school age kids are going through some tough times.

That he knows of.

I doubt people are getting tested just for the heck of it.
He may have had friends who were asymptomatic.

I do suspect there are still many people that are relatively careful in terms of social distancing, washing hands, and wearing masks, so that may be a factor in avoiding the virus. However in north Texas all you hear about are exploding cases in Dallas and Tarrant counties, but call it luck or not, I have no friends, acquaintances or family that have become sick.

However in north Texas all you hear about are exploding cases in Dallas and Tarrant counties, but call it luck or not, I have no friends, acquaintances or family that have become sick.
Interesting... I thought I knew a lot of people but I don't anyone that has had the virus (so far).... I know people who say they know someone that has caught it, but I don't know anyone personally.

My son, 3 nephews and 2 nieces that I know of have had it. There may be others that I just haven't heard about. All the ones I know had it have all recovered with seemingly no lingering effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom