Yeah! ER nearly 2 years earlier than planned!

Dear All, in the interest of full disclosure, I should add that my employer offered me a job in another department, same title, same pay, but it would be a lot of "heavy lifting" since that department is not well run. They told me to "Sleep on it and don't refuse right away, think about it. At least try it out for 3 to 4 months and then you can always decide if you want to stay on longer term and you'd still be eligible for the severance if you choose to leave." So I did, I slept on it for 2 nights and my heart sank every time I thought of trying to fix things in the department that was offered to me to run. Then I looked over my financial calculations again even WITHOUT a penny from the my severance, I still already have enough to withdraw less than 3% so I politely declined the offer to stay on. Then my employer said how about coming back as a consultant to help fix that department. I said that I would consider contract work of 3 to 4 months duration etc. I did not want to burn any bridges. I do sincerely hope that my employer will not call me for any contract work. It's difficult to find a polite way to say what a mess this other dept is so I am going to simply state that I look forward to ER etc. and leave it at that.

I do feel a little bit guilty for leaving the money on the table but I value time more than money at this juncture. Having a little more money would not change how I live my life but having more time right now while I still have my health is immensely pleasurable for me and my dogs! So YEAH!!! I am going to ER at end of next month, period!

I look forward to doing many other activities that are not finance and audit related. I've been working very hard since I was a teenager. I am 52 now, not getting any younger, so it's time to take care of myself and my pets instead of megacorp.

Thank you ALL for your warm words. It is so wonderful to be part of this Forum. I am grateful for each and everyone of you for sharing your wisdom and humor!

Have a GREAT day!!!

(emphasis mine) The statement that I put in bold, proves to me that you are making the right decision. You are ready to retire! I was thinking exactly the same thing just before I retired. Sometimes the path ahead become SO clear. BTW, I haven't regretted leaving money on the table even one little tiny bit. The time I have gained has made these past 3+ years of retirement the best in my life.

(emphasis mine) The statement that I put in bold, proves to me that you are making the right decision. You are ready to retire! I was thinking exactly the same thing just before I retired. Sometimes the path ahead become SO clear. BTW, I haven't regretted leaving money on the table even one little tiny bit. The time I have gained has made these past 3+ years of retirement the best in my life.

Thank you W2R! Reading your posts since you've ER'd has made making my decision a lot easier. I kept living vicariously through you and F, having all those wonderful lunches in awesome New Orleans eateries and going to the gym during periods when the gym is not at all crowded, and taking your time to paint your house, etc. I smiled whenever those types of post from you. Very soon I will get to live that life too --- Thank you for being such an inspiration.

Congrats on the earlier than expected retirement! I'm sure the pups will be glad to have you around much more. My current pup (just turned 10 yrs old) has not had to experience being left alone on weekdays since I adopted him after I retired, but I always felt bad about leaving my previous lab on his own for 10+ hours a day.

Yes, one of my dogs is 14 years old. I feel so bad leaving her at home for all these long hours and now that I am ready to ER she is quite old and can hardly walk one block. I wish I had had the portfolio to ER sooner back when she was still healthy to enjoy running and walking. My other dog is 9 and still going strong so I will do for him what I failed to do for my older dog.

In anticipation of ER, I also adopted a cat from our shelter 6 months ago. She is a sweet lap cat, loves to curl up on my lap when I read financial statements (not the most enjoyable reading but the kitty does not know). She purred dreamily as if I were reading the classics! She'll transition in to ER seamlessly I bet :dance:

Congratulations!
Isn't it good to be prepared?

I am so jealous. My boss has told me yesterday that I am too valuable to be made redundant. Instead he announced that I will be promoted end of April - only by title, function and salary will remain the same.
I am still in the class of 2013.

Woo hoo! Titles are SO rewarding (not!). If your are FI, it seems to me that you might have some negotiating room here. A raise, reduced hours or more flexibility to go with your new elevated status.

Dear All, in the interest of full disclosure, I should add that my employer offered me a job in another department, same title, same pay, but it would be a lot of "heavy lifting" since that department is not well run. They told me to "Sleep on it and don't refuse right away, think about it. At least try it out for 3 to 4 months and then you can always decide if you want to stay on longer term and you'd still be eligible for the severance if you choose to leave." So I did, I slept on it for 2 nights and my heart sank every time I thought of trying to fix things in the department that was offered to me to run. Then I looked over my financial calculations again even WITHOUT a penny from the my severance, I still already have enough to withdraw less than 3% so I politely declined the offer to stay on. Then my employer said how about coming back as a consultant to help fix that department. I said that I would consider contract work of 3 to 4 months duration etc. I did not want to burn any bridges. I do sincerely hope that my employer will not call me for any contract work. It's difficult to find a polite way to say what a mess this other dept is so I am going to simply state that I look forward to ER etc. and leave it at that.

I do feel a little bit guilty for leaving the money on the table but I value time more than money at this juncture. Having a little more money would not change how I live my life but having more time right now while I still have my health is immensely pleasurable for me and my dogs! So YEAH!!! I am going to ER at end of next month, period!

I look forward to doing many other activities that are not finance and audit related. I've been working very hard since I was a teenager. I am 52 now, not getting any younger, so it's time to take care of myself and my pets instead of megacorp.

Thank you ALL for your warm words. It is so wonderful to be part of this Forum. I am grateful for each and everyone of you for sharing your wisdom and humor!

Have a GREAT day!!!

Good for you for realizing what is really important to you, and for being prepared to confidently say no! Congratulations!

Congrats!!!! You have the freedom to decide about the consulting gig rather than being forced into it to survive.
As old saying goes, luck favors the soul who prepares.

Most of us left a lot of money on the table by retiring early. I can assure, you will get over the guilt. ;)

Congratulations my friend!
emoticon-animal-057.gif

Good for you. You might think carefully before returning to old workplace for consulting. I had the same plan, but couldn't quite pull the trigger when I had to make a final decision. Having experienced the freedom in my daily schedule, the many additional things I could do with friends and family and not really needing the extra income for the necessities of life, jumping back into the arena with the old familiar problems just didn't seem to fit into my new life. Best of luck in your new adventures.

When I left, I wasn't tactful as far as leaving a door open for possible contracting. I decided if I burned bridges, there was no plan to walk on that bridge again anyhow.

So, when I called it a career and some of my co-w*rkers hinted if they had immediate questions, could they call me, I kind of responded "Um..what part of I'm retiring don't you understand?" :LOL:

But I did leave with a very nice, courteous goodbye/thank you, letter on close to my last day.

Back
Top Bottom