You aren't your job (News article)

Frugalityisthenewblack

Recycles dryer sheets
You aren't your job - thestar.com

I think I will take the author's advice "Introduce yourself to people you meet using something other than your occupation. Where you born, the hobbies you enjoy, the problems you like solve, anything really, as long as it isn't your job"

maybe.....Please to meet you, I'm Marg. I'm a reall sheetburner. (delivered with sly smile and wink) :cool:

Hi, I'm Rob. Not pleased to meet you....

ha

Frugalityisthenewblack said:

I think I will take the author's advice "Introduce yourself to people you meet using something other than your occupation. Where you born, the hobbies you enjoy, the problems you like solve, anything really, as long as it isn't your job"

maybe.....Please to meet you, I'm Marg. I'm a reall sheetburner. (delivered with sly smile and wink) :cool:

It could be that red ball of fire on her head that burns the sheets, rather than any employable skill on top of the 1000 count silk thread.

Thanks, FITNB--and now I'll always think of Ms. Taylor as the sheetburner with pearls of wisdom and a giant photo.

Thanks, FITNB--and now I'll always think of Ms. Taylor as the sheetburner with pearls of wisdom and a giant photo.

My first reaction to the term "sheetburner" as applied to this woman, was that after an encounter, a man might want to burn the sheets as part of the disinfection procedures to get rid of her cooties.

I know that's not what was meant... :2funny:

Please to meet you, I'm Marg. I'm a reall sheetburner. (delivered with sly smile and wink) :cool:
We used a very similar tern in Nam, consisting of a 55 barrel drum cut in half, fuel oil, and the "magic ingredient", starting with the letter "s" :D.

You have to make sure you don't stutter when you use similar sounding names :facepalm: ...

I've been training taekwondo with some people for over eight years, and I still don't know their occupations. I know all about their taekwondo skills, their families, and their other off-duty interests-- but not their occupations.

Not all Americans are obsessed with job descriptions and the pecking order.

My first reaction to the term "sheetburner" as applied to this woman, was that after an encounter, a man might want to burn the sheets as part of the disinfection procedures to get rid of her cooties.
You know you're going to have to add "sheetburner" to the acronyms & slang thread now...
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html

Nords said:
I've been training taekwondo with some people for over eight years, and I still don't know their occupations. I know all about their taekwondo skills, their families, and their other off-duty interests-- but not their occupations.

Not all Americans are obsessed with job descriptions and the pecking order.

You know you're going to have to add "sheetburner" to the acronyms & slang thread now...
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html

How did HaHa sneak out of all of this? He was the one who coined this term about that lady a couple days ago in a different thread!

Well, HaHa will have to supply the definition as he was the first to use the term. I have perhaps knowledge of the lexicon of euphemisms , gleaned from the terms bandied about on the shopfloor, but alas only second hand information about such things. I defer to the other forumsters with more experience on such matters. DH and I married 25 years ago and I have been mired in monogamy ever since.
And for that matter Trombone Al can illuminate the massses about what a "happy ending" is. I shall stay silent.

I think Ms. Taylor must be Marg Delahunty's daughter! :dance:

The article reminds of a time long ago. My then GF took me to party.

The hostess, after introductions, inquired: Just what do you do for a living. Having recently returned from two years of bumming around the USA in motorhome, I replied, I don't.

Her looks would have made a great photo.

The article reminds of a time long ago. My then GF took me to party.

The hostess, after introductions, inquired: Just what do you do for a living. Having recently returned from two years of bumming around the USA in motorhome, I replied, I don't.

Her looks would have made a great photo.

A friend brought a rather hoity-toity lady to an oyster roast we had years ago, who asked everyone upon being introduced "who are your people?". Let's just say that she got a lot of interesting answers that she was definitely not looking for!

Sarah in SC said:
A friend brought a rather hoity-toity lady to an oyster roast we had years ago, who asked everyone upon being introduced "who are your people?". Let's just say that she got a lot of interesting answers that she was definitely not looking for!

Oh, I love questions like that! It sort of flags the person asking as someone suitable for... Well...

"We're Reform Druids. We are allowed to worship at bushes."

"We're competitive ice fishermen. It's an interesting sport. Once on Mammoth Lake, we were competing for who could catch the longest ice eel..."

"French Canadian, from a long line of baby seal skinners..."

Think "improv" in an unconventional setting.

Hey give the gurl a break, but I agree, she's a two bagger.

Back
Top Bottom