Your best trips for ultra-light packing/bags/luggage?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm planning an extended trip in 2022, a few months or longer, outside of the US.

I would very much appreciate if you could share your best packing tips, with an eye toward packing light -

examples -

one item that can serve multiple functions

brands that are known for being durable but lightweight

anything along these lines. Thanks!

Last edited:
In 2019 my wife and I took a two week trip to Italy. We were always packing way too much "stuff", too many bags and heavy bags. . We read Rick Steves' books and decided to take his challenge to pack everything in one carry on bag each. It worked well.

Pre covid we did two 7-9 week trips per year. Since retirement we have each traveled with an international size carry on roller each. Anywhere from 17-22lbs.

Winters have been in Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia and a few weeks in Australia.

Fall can be anywhere. Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal...whatever. Occasionally we pick up a last minute cruise. Could be 10 days, bagged one in Oz for 21 days.

It was a challenge at first. The reality is that when we travel for that long it is impossible to pack for the entire time. Our problem was that we are independent and spontaneous travelers. We can only realistically travel with luggage that we can each easily physically handle. It could be climbing two floors to a B&B, on trains, ferries, carrying it in and out of rental cars or along cobbled streets, or in the case of Thailand in and out of long tail boats, or ferries.

First thing to go was shoes. We take two pair. One on our feet, the other in the bag. All of our clothing is geared to travel. Lightweight, easy care, and layered. In Asia and in Europe it is very easy to drop laundry at a laudromat in the AM and pick it up in the afternoon....washed, folded, etc.

We bought the international size carry-ons. What fit in the bag went. That was how we did it. First time was brutal but we soon learned that for us, the benefit far exceeded the effort to downsize.

When we return from a trip we take not of anything that we did not use very often. It gets tossed next time and replaced by something else.

This has worked for us for the past 10 years of retirement. The only time we do not do this is if we are doing a car trip from home. We have met more and more people in our travels who are doing the same thing for the same reasons. Not for everyone though. There is not right way.

Last edited:
The longest trip I've been on is 3 weeks, but I think the concepts are still the same. Meaning, you basically pack for a week or so and plan to do laundry.

I typically prefer to travel with carry on luggage sizes, even when I ship through a bag.

My questions would be:
Are you expecting to travel to varied climates?
Will you want clothes for a variety of experiences (such as dressy clothes, swimming, hiking, etc)?

I typically take 3 dresses that have a very simple line and fabric, that can be dressed up or down. I use them for a nightgown, beach cover-up and dress. Basically a dress like this (I use this brand): https://smile.amazon.com/Jostar-Sle...hort/dp/B008NEDUCU?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
I have one in solid black, one more floral and one geometric. They don't wrinkly, was easy and are versatile. They wash easy in the sink.
I bring this jacket: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089GDNS8S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I wear it with jeans, and also to dress up the dresses above.
I also bring along a pair of bike shorts. I can wear them under the dresses or use for hiking with a tee.

I need very supportive shoes for every day use. I wear a pair of black sneakers and pack a supportive sandal that can be used for a lot of walking as well. Then I pack a pair of croc flats.....I wear with the dresses for dinner, with nice pants as well as at the beach or pool.

My preferred color schemes tend to be navy + taupe for bottoms or navy + black. Then I added in varied tops that match, and use stripes, solid colors and floral, with varied styles. I usually bring a pair of jeggings rather than jeans because they pack lighter and dry faster.

If you are doing wash in your sink, after you wash, wring well and then roll in a towel. Then, the real secret is to walk on the towel! That really gets the water out and allows it to dry faster.

I often pack a cold weather kit when I'm not sure of the weather. It is includes a pair of magic gloves (the kind you get from Target for a buck or two), a cotton gaiter, a pashmina, a pair of sock liners, a cotton undershirt with a little lace and a pair of tights. This all fits in a gallon ziplock bag and it's pretty flat. If the weather is unexpectedly cold, I find these items really help, It gives me extra layers and with whatever jacket I have on that trip, my feet and hands can be warm, my neck is protected and I can use the pashmina as a scarf, or as a hood and scarf. And if it's not needed, you haven't wasted that much space.

I love this backpack: https://smile.amazon.com/Hynes-Eagl...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If you underpack it, it can even be an underseat bag on certain airlines.

"Lady light travel", she has some great ideas for packing light. (https://ladylighttravel.com/) I also recommend the packing forums on Rick Steves website (https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/packing). I also like "Her Packing List" (https://herpackinglist.com/). Googling "minimalistic packing" gets you some good sites.

We normally do a fair amount of hiking on our trips. So packing light is easy. Some lightweight hiking pants, t -shirts, jacket, one pair of hiking shoes. I get a lot of my clothes from REI. Very lightweight. And we stay in places that have washer/dryer on site.

Shoes seem to take up the most space.

If you can eliminate pairs of shoes you are off to a great start. Rolling and packing cubes are your friend.

I don't like schlepping around a suitcase in the airport/plane so I tend to check my bags even if carryon size. I find I can do a week in a carryon and plan a laundry night once a week whether in hotel or down the street. I can tell you from experience even the Champs Elysee has a coin laundry nearby!

That said, if you are going somewhere cold you will need a bigger suitcase for bulkier items to keep you warm!

I have traveled successfully for several weeks with just a carry on and doing laundry once a week and hand wash as needed. So all you need is to pack for a week; wash, rinse, repeat use. Shop for versatile clothing with layers. Dark colors hide dirt. For a woman, I find a simple dark blue or black knit tunic like dress, with or without leggings, goes pretty much everywhere and is super comfortable. Dress it up with a nice scarf. You can even sleep in it. Lowering your standards a bit from hyper-clean helps.

Colors! I did a longer trip for some academic research in France, and I kept the whole wardrobe to black and taupe. Everything could be worn together. However, this was not a big multipurpose trip, so I didn't have to pack for varied situations.

We normally do a fair amount of hiking on our trips. So packing light is easy. Some lightweight hiking pants, t -shirts, jacket, one pair of hiking shoes. I get a lot of my clothes from REI. Very lightweight. And we stay in places that have washer/dryer on site.

What do you do about boots? For tropical birding trips, I've usually worn low waterproof hikers, but I am going to a place soon that may need boots. I think I'm taking a low-calf pair of rubber boots - I know they'll be hot, but I won't need them all the time, and it's what the guides wear, and I don't want a heavy pair of higher hiking boots.

Also, packing for both high and low elevations, but not too many days at each? I'm thinking some unlined water-resistant nylon with some tights.

If you can eliminate pairs of shoes you are off to a great start.

Wear your bulkiest shoes and jacket for the flight. On you, not in your bag.

What do you do about boots? For tropical birding trips, I've usually worn low waterproof hikers, but I am going to a place soon that may need boots. I think I'm taking a low-calf pair of rubber boots - I know they'll be hot, but I won't need them all the time, and it's what the guides wear, and I don't want a heavy pair of higher hiking boots.

Also, packing for both high and low elevations, but not too many days at each? I'm thinking some unlined water-resistant nylon with some tights.

I've never packed boots. Or heavy high hiking boots. I only bring lightweight hiking shoes. I rarely run into a situation where I need anything else when I'm traveling.

But I can see where tropical birding trips would require them. Your low-calf pair of rubber boots is a good idea.

We travel with two carry-ons (mine and hers) and one checked bag (hers with a few of my items like a pocken knife) I would say that we are "medium" travelers with about 43 countries checked off. Some random thoughts:

Pay attention to bag weight. My carry-on is an expensive spinner from Zero that at the time was the lightest actual tough-sided bag available at just under 4#. It is very easy to own a bag weighing double that if you are not paying attention.

Pack by folding your clothes exactly into the bag; for a shirt, lay the shirt flat on the open bag and make the side folds so the folded shirt ends up exactly the width of the bag. Alternate positions heads up/down to smooth out the clothing layer. If, at the end, you have gaps beside or above the clothes you have failed the exercise.

Shaving, drugs, etc. I have one of these: https://www.ebags.com/accessories/t...sic-pack-it-flat-toiletry-kit/117873XXXX.html. It fits crosswise in the bag and completely fills the space.

Cases, particularly hard-shell cases are verboten. Use soft cloth bags, scuba neoprene bags if padding is absolutely necessary. But remember that just putting those binos in with the clothes is nestling them in padding.

Assume that you'll be able to do laundry or have laundry done every few days. Two or three pairs of pants and two or three shirts does it for me on almost any trip. Laundromat soap can be difficult to get and expensive. I carry these soap sheets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2UFT20 in a zip-loc bag. They take no space and work just fine.

Shoes are death of course. I travel only with the pair I have on. If you must have a light pair and a heavy pair, wear the heavy pair. The light pair will take less space in your bag.

If you are holding something you might need and wondering whether to pack it, say to yourself "They have stores there." over and over until you put the item back in your closet. Obviously this depends on destination but even third world countries have cities with stores.

Carry two camera battery chargers an a bunch of spare batteries. A camera without a working charger and only dead batteries is a useless paperweight.

Your outside bag tag, name, address, etc. should also contain a folded piece of paper with your entire itinerary and contact information for each stop. This is especially important with a checked bag. Speaking of checked bags, assume that you will not have access to your (lost) bag for a day or two after arrival. Pack the carry-ons accordingly.

If you are carrying medications, spread them around among the bags rather than keeping them all in one place. DW likes the prepackaged Amazon "Pillpacks" as a space-saver. Laid out as flat strips they take almost no space.

Standardize on AA size batteries for all gadgets. These are easily available anywhere. I learned this the hard way, trying to find an "N" cell in St. Petersburg Russia.

Wondering if any of you light weight travelers use those vacuum bags. I don’t travel light, but I do like the bags that seal up and then you can squeeze the air out. You’re supposed to roll them, but I just sit on them. Them seem to compact very well.

Wondering if any of you light weight travelers use those vacuum bags. I don’t travel light, but I do like the bags that seal up and then you can squeeze the air out. You’re supposed to roll them, but I just sit on them. Them seem to compact very well.
DW used those for a while but has stopped. I think the problem is that there is always some trapped air in the bag, air that is not squeezed out when the suitcase is closed. Unbagged clothing ends up actually taking less volume because it can be completely compressed.

Last edited:
Lots of good tips in this thread. As an OG lightweight backpacker, I carried only 12 lbs. (including a Fire tablet) for a 10-day autumn vacation in Japan. You may wish to dress more elegantly than I do, but if you're traveling on a budget, this will serve you from snowy Christmas Markets to sightseeing in national parks.

• During cool weather, layer a quick-drying t-shirt under a button-down shirt to reduce laundry. I use silk long underwear tops.
  • Woven fabrics almost always dry faster than knit ones.
  • Full-length nylon hiking trousers from LL Bean, North Face, ExOfficio can be washed in the sink, dry quickly, don't hold stains. But zip-off ones aren't very attractive and are difficult to camouflage as normal pants. ;)
  • Nylon "travel" shirts offer similar washability, but they are hot in the sun. Thin woven cotton or silk dries easily, and long sleeves can roll up or down depending on temperature.
  • Wool socks can be worn twice if needed and dry faster than cotton. I wear Darn Toughs, bought on sale.
  • One pair of walking shoes and one pair of Crocs sandals, the latter for the hotel room or to let walking shoes dry out after rain. Chinatowns around the world are a great source of cheap slippers/flip-flops.
  • A Buff (knitted tube) for emergency warm hat or scarf. I bring a crushable brimmed hat to protect my face from sun and have layered the Buff under it as needed - not fashionable, but warm!
  • Layer a hooded raincoat/windbreaker over an insulating layer (down puff, fleece, wool sweater, depending on weather) for rain/snow/wind.
  • My newest acquisition is a pair of chlorine-proof Lands' End bike shorts. I plan to use them as swim bottoms with a black jogbra, under skirts for long walks, or for laundry-day garb.
  • Have an idea of what you can buy cheaply or easily in the country you're visiting. Example: $5 umbrellas in Japan, but sunscreen is expensive, so I'll bring sunscreen but buy an umbrella if needed. Cheap clothes in India, but shoes are not so great...
Have fun!

Lots of good suggestions here already. Here are a few more.

1. Because you're going to limit yourself to a couple of pairs of shoes, really test them before you travel. Spend a day walking around in each pair and make sure they're fit for purpose and don't cause blisters, foot pain or back trouble. Test your socks, too.

2. Choose clothes that can handle lint, wrinkles and the odd stain and still look good. I avoid pure black and pure white, for example: charcoal grey and heathered colours are more forgiving. I also avoid anything that needs careful ironing.

3. Fabrics with a little (not too much) stretch will be more comfortable. My favourite travel pants are the Travex / Horizon pants by Eddie Bauer (fleece-lined winter pants and lightweight summer pants). They have stretch, wrinkles hang out, and they dry quickly.

4. Test your suitcase and other bags, too. I once embarked on a 10-day trip to Europe with a super lightweight suitcase only to discover that the zipper constantly broke. I had to buy a new one. Pack your suitcase and your shoulder bag or backpack with the stuff you expect to take, and then schlep it around up and downstairs, around the block and on and off the bus to make sure it's truly useable.

5. I pack a lightweight pair of pajamas and change into them whenever I'm in my hotel room or BnB. It reduces the frequency with which I need to wash my other clothes.

6. Except in summer (or travel to summer climates), I always wear or pack the following: polar fleece gloves, a black polar fleece jacket or a nano-puff vest, and a black polar fleece scarf. These items add instant warmth to my outfits. I also travel (all seasons) with a super-lightweight/low volume but warm shawl, which is great for the plane, for naps in my hotel room and for going out in the evening.

Our very best trip for ultralight packing are our two month Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia snowbird trips.

We leave town (snowbelt) in jeans, ss shirt, cotton sweater, nylon wind cheater.

I pack several pairs of shorts, a four easy care shirts, some underwear, 2 pairs of socks, bathing suit, ipad, sunglasses, visor, and a pair of lightweight Teva sandals. Plus the usual razor, etc. 100ml of sP40 sun block. That is it.

Other than when are on flights, I wear shorts, collared shirt, and sandals for just about the entire 8 weeks.

All goes in my international size carry on, plus some of DW's things that do not fit in hers. Weight for each of our bags is usually 8KG give or take.

This has been my regime for six winters of our snowbird winters.

Fall trips to Greece/Southern Europe are not much different. The jeans get dropped in favor of lightweight slacks plus another pair of socks.

DW is the same. Lightweight easy care tops or blouses. She takes an extra pair of shoes and some small amounts of cosmetics that invariably end up in my bag.

Last edited:
For those of you who use a travel backpack rather than a roller, what do you use for a second/personal item?

I've been searching for a good messenger bag but they are either too large (read: 17" wide for real messengers with 17" laptops) or too small (marketed as travel crossbody bags, won't hold an iPad in its case).

I am also downsizing from my Osprey Porter 46 but am having a hard time finding a travel backpack with a good hip belt (I don't care for the Osprey Farpoint/Fairvew). Something in the 35-40L range, international carry on dimensions....

Ignore those claims of lightweight on in store baggage tags. Look for the weight and/or weight them yourself.

We have found many of the claims to be meaningless and in some instances misleading.

For those of you who use a travel backpack rather than a roller, what do you use for a second/personal item?

I've been searching for a good messenger bag but they are either too large (read: 17" wide for real messengers with 17" laptops) or too small (marketed as travel crossbody bags, won't hold an iPad in its case).

I have a Timbuk2 bag that fits my 15" laptop. I like it a lot. Bought it 2 years ago for a Europe trip that got cancelled. So I haven't travelled with it. It's an everyday bag for me. It has a pocket on the back that you can use as a pocket, or unzip the top & bottom to slip over your roller handle. Probably 3 different pockets on the inside. And it feels good as a sling bag on your back.

edit: I don't remember the size of my bag. Probably Large. They have several different sizes (S,M,L, XL)

Remember the empty weight of the bag you’re carrying. For years, I used a suitcase, in domestic carry-on size, that was extremely heavy.

Several years ago, I decided to limit it to car travel. It reduced my personal wear and tear from travel quite a bit.

I use the compression packs, the ones that close with Velcro not the vacuum ones. I can get a whole weeks worth of cloths in one sleeve. I take two. We did a European cruise with formal nights and we both got everything in one carry on size bag each.
Hand washable underwear, light wool base layers that don’t retain odors, mix and match colors, a travel size of Febreze all help.

Last edited:
... I've been searching for a good messenger bag but they are either too large (read: 17" wide for real messengers with 17" laptops) or too small (marketed as travel crossbody bags, won't hold an iPad in its case).

I am also downsizing from my Osprey Porter 46 but am having a hard time finding a travel backpack with a good hip belt (I don't care for the Osprey Farpoint/Fairvew). Something in the 35-40L range, international carry on dimensions....
You might want to check out the "tactical" market (aka tacti-cool). https://www.maxpedition.com/ is a good place to start, to see the variety available. Their products tend to emphasize ruggedness over light weight and tend to be expensive. Most of the products, though, have been knocked off by lower-cost suppliers using lighter weight materials --- better for us travelers. https://lapolicegear.com/bags-packs.html has maybe the broadest range of tacti-cool on the internet.

I have had inexpensive "Condor" brand bags and the LAPG house brand and have been very satisfied. My current travel backpack is similar to this one: https://lapolicegear.com/tactical-ambidextrous-sling-bag.html except it has regular backpack straps rather than being a sling.

If you are fashion-conscious and like bright colors, you will get bored with this stuff very quickly.

Last edited:
When traveling in winter, I still bring medium/light weight shirts that don't take up much room and use a jacket or sweater for warmth. I like the packing bags for shirts and underwear. For trips where I'll do a lot of outdoor hiking, I wear my waterproof hiking shoes and pack a pair of casual flats for non-hiking or at the hotel. I tend to sleep in a t shirt and pants that can double as lounge clothes when I'm at the hotel.

... a jacket or sweater for warmth ...
I have a lightweight thing that was marketed as a goose down "sweater." Packed into its stuff sack it takes very little space. Worn underneath a good wind breaker, which I need anyway, it's like a good warm jacket. Worn alone it's good for cool but not cold. The material is lightweight/doesn't appear to be very tough but I have not had any catches or tears.

I'm too lazy to dig it out of its stuff sack to get the brand, but it's like this one: https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-down-sweater-jacket/84674.html

Back
Top Bottom