Your Favorite Beer

Washington, Idaho and Oregon are the top three. That's why some of the leading varieties have names like Cascade, Willamette and Mount Hood.

Wisconsin was a big hop producer a century ago but disease wiped it out. Hops propagate through rhizomes, so the transplant is basically a clone of the parent. So, like potatoes, when a deadly blight moved in, the plants were very vulnerable.

I still see hop sheds standing on older farmsteads. They're quite distinctive -- small two-story buildings with an external stairway.

I stand corrected
MI is #4
and the measurement is based on acres harvested (so MI is 4th in hops acres harvested).

Ichnusa Unfiltered (Non Filtrata), from Sardinia. Love it when visiting the beaches there and can buy it over the border in Italy as well. It's a fairly hoppy little lager, brewed and bottled near the capital, Cagliari. The brewer was independent for many years; but Heineken International owns them now.

-BB

Another beer worth mentioning is Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites and packed with roasty, creamy flavor.

It's also the base of my favorite chocolate cake. 8 oz into the batter, leaves half the bottle for the cook :)

Chocolate Stout Cake | Oven 350 F

Pan Prep: Grease 9 inch spring form, cheesecake (or other 3 inch deep) pan and line bottom with parchment.

Ingredients
1 cup stout beer (Sam Smiths oatmeal is nice)
1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder

2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sour cream (full fat, no fillers)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Assembly
In a large saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted.
Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended.

Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture.

Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack IN THE PAN. Remove sides of pan only after cooled and preferably after the cake has had a few hours to rest. Invert and sprinkle with powdered sugar or (if you must) top with Cream cheese icing scented with a little Irish whiskey. Powdered sugar is best.

Notes:
this cake freezes well (un-iced)!
No crap beer or lame sour cream!
Drink the other half of the beer - no waste :)

Pass the whipped cream.

Attachments

• cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 96
I am embarrassed that the U.S. has the worse beer of any developed country I have ever been in. Even Mexican beer is superior in quality. I always knew that Canadian beer was great, but $12.99 for the cheapest beer plus 15% sales tax there priced me out of the market when traveling up there.

I'm sitting here in Barcelona drinking a tall boy Heiniken that was 1 Euro ($1.12 US) including the VAT from a grocery. That is a whole lot less than we pay for poor quality U.S. beer.

But upon our return home, we will go back to teetotaling to keep down blood sugars for long term health.

But upon our return home, we will go back to teetotaling to keep down blood sugars for long term health.
I never thought that drinking a beer with a meal had much of a glycemic effect beyond that of the food, but I've never checked. I'm not diabetic or even near it, so haven't worried about it.

But lately, I've cut down on drinking "just ok" beers, instead drinking fewer of only special ones. The reason for this is I realized that even two beers with dinner, my heart rate is 15% or 20% faster during the night. All night long! It's VERY obvious in the data if I've had two beers, and even detectable with one. As I've gotten older, I've realized that on the day after 3 or more beers, I'm noticeably "less good" (unlike my younger days, when a night out wouldn't be noticeable the next day). Now, with my latest toy (a sleep monitor ring), I'm getting data that's saying beer has a less obvious effect at a lower "dose". That's really sad news because I love beer. Oh, the idea, maybe not consensus opinion, is that if you're getting your most restorative sleep, your heart rate is lower.

Anyway, I think I've already mentioned in this thread several of my favorite beers, but I will never turn down a Duvel or obviously a Westvleteren. Publix mistakenly priced the 4 pack of Duvel $9.99 (the price it was "supposed" to be was $16.99). I bought all they had!

I am embarrassed that the U.S. has the worse beer of any developed country I have ever been in. Even Mexican beer is superior in quality. I always knew that Canadian beer was great, but $12.99 for the cheapest beer plus 15% sales tax there priced me out of the market when traveling up there.

I'm sitting here in Barcelona drinking a tall boy Heiniken that was 1 Euro ($1.12 US) including the VAT from a grocery. That is a whole lot less than we pay for poor quality U.S. beer.

Don't know where you are getting this from, but the U.S. has some of the best beers in the world. The craft brewing scene in the United States has exploded over the last twenty years and there are now over 7,000 breweries operating here.

My home brew is far far superior than Heineken (note the proper spelling) commercial output, regardless of the country it is brewed in.

You poor guy if you think a Heineken is superior to all the craft brews in the USA. You need to get out more in the US [emoji16][emoji16]

I am embarrassed that the U.S. has the worse beer of any developed country I have ever been in.

Alas, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Sad, but try to get out more and you’ll discover an amazing variety of great beers, many brewed within driving distance of where you live.

American beer was God awful until maybe 10 years ago. IMHO the big brands are still crap.
I rarely buy an import these days as so many smaller brewers have come out or stepped up their game. Drinking a Saranac Legacy IPA now. $7.99 for good beer from the same people that brewed Utica Club and Maximus Super as their big sellers not long ago.

Another beer worth mentioning is Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites and packed with roasty, creamy flavor.

It's also the base of my favorite chocolate cake. 8 oz into the batter, leaves half the bottle for the cook :)

Chocolate Stout Cake | Oven 350 F

Pan Prep: Grease 9 inch spring form, cheesecake (or other 3 inch deep) pan and line bottom with parchment.

Ingredients
1 cup stout beer (Sam Smiths oatmeal is nice)
1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder

2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sour cream (full fat, no fillers)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Assembly
In a large saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted.
Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended.

Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture.

Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack IN THE PAN. Remove sides of pan only after cooled and preferably after the cake has had a few hours to rest. Invert and sprinkle with powdered sugar or (if you must) top with Cream cheese icing scented with a little Irish whiskey. Powdered sugar is best.

Notes:
this cake freezes well (un-iced)!
No crap beer or lame sour cream!
Drink the other half of the beer - no waste :)

Pass the whipped cream.

A similar recipe for irish car bomb cupcakes

old family recipe...

A few of you have asked for the recipe for The Irish Car Bomb cupcakes that I posted yesterday. Here it is.

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour + (cooling time between steps)

(Note: The actual time to prepare and cook is probably only an hour but you'll need to allow time for cooling - between adding the ganache filling to the cupcakes and then frosting them. It's really a 'morning project' start to finish to help you plan on setting aside time)

IrIngredients:
For the Cupcakes:
1 cup Guinness stout
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoons salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

For the Whiskey Ganache Filling:
8 ounces Dark chocolate (either 30%or 60%) can also use semisweet.
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons Irish whiskey

For the Baileys Frosting:
2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Directions:

1. To Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners. Bring the Guinness and butter to a simmer in a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl to combine. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sour cream on medium speed until combined. Add the Guinness-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat just to combine. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and beat briefly. Using a rubber spatula, fold the batter until completely combined. Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Check after 18 mins. Cool the cupcakes on a rack.

3. To Make the Whiskey Ganache Filling: Finely chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then, using a rubber spatula, stir it from the center outward until smooth. Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined. Let the ganache cool until thick but still soft enough to be piped.

4. To Fill the Cupcakes: Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter (or the bottom of a large decorating tip), cut the centers out of the cooled cupcakes, going about two-thirds of the way down. Transfer the ganache to a piping bag with a wide tip and fill the holes in each cupcake to the top.

5. To Make the Baileys Frosting: Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Reduce the speed to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar until all of it is incorporated. Add the Baileys, increase the speed to medium-high and whip for another 2 to 3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.

6. Using your favorite decorating tip, or an offset spatula, frost the cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container.

American beer was God awful until maybe 10 years ago. IMHO the big brands are still crap.
I rarely buy an import these days as so many smaller brewers have come out or stepped up their game. Drinking a Saranac Legacy IPA now. $7.99 for good beer from the same people that brewed Utica Club and Maximus Super as their big sellers not long ago.

OMG, someone else remembers Maximus Super? That was in huge demand back in college.

... snip.... Fortunately, as hoppy beers are now so popular there are many more areas all over the country growing hops. They don't do very well south of about 40° latitude, so that still restricts the areas somewhat. Extend the Mason-Dixon Line west through Salt Lake City and you get the idea.

... end snip.... My relatives in Texas only drink Bud lite or maybe sometimes Miller Lite. I brought a case of some microbrew (Fat Tire, maybe) once as a housewarming thing, and they were politely appreciative, but I was the only one drinking it! Win! I can't believe Bud Lite is now somewhere around $19 a ******* case :confused:?? Oh well, I hope it somehow subsidizes the good beer.... It's fine that people like Bud Lite, that's fine, but $19 a case:confused: Noooooo.......

I think the trend to the Bud/ Miller/ Coors Lite beers is be able to imbibe over a longer time without getting shellacked quicker. Remember the Shaefer jingle, " The one beer to have when you're having more than one!". Myself, I would rather drink 2 great beers, than 6 or 7 lite beers over a few hours.

I think the trend to the Bud/ Miller/ Coors Lite beers is be able to imbibe over a longer time without getting shellacked quicker. Remember the Shaefer jingle, " The one beer to have when you're having more than one!". Myself, I would rather drink 2 great beers, than 6 or 7 lite beers over a few hours.
They have great low alcohol Session IPAs with 4% alcohol which is less than a Bud light... So you can do both.

They have great low alcohol Session IPAs with 4% alcohol which is less than a Bud light... So you can do both.

There’s a good one on sale 4.99 a six pack at Trader joes now called farm island I think. Great value Imho

I spotted a new offering today at my local bottle shop from one of my favorite brewers, Unibroue of Chambly, Quebec. I happily ponied up $10 for a 4-pack.

It's called Ale Gateau Foret Noire. Turns out it's a 25th-anniversary brew, Unibroue's version of liquid Black Forest cake -- IF Black Forest cake had a 10.5% alcohol content.

It's powerful but sublime. Fruit esters everywhere in the finest Belgian tradition. If you see this at the store, do not hesitate. https://www.unibroue.com/en/our-beers/ale-gateau-foret-noire/40

It's summertime and it's 95 degrees in the daytime and the fridge is filled with Corona!

Update:

#1 - Is still Tiger (but only the Asian brewed variety and it's hard to get in the US)
#2 - Corona Light (not the regular Corona and certainly not the new Corona Premier)
#3 - None (I'd rather do without)

#1000+ - Budwiser - (I'd probably drink it but only if dying of thirst after several days in the desert and if someone else bought it.)

Last edited:
I missed the whole craft beer disruption as I quit drinking over 10 years ago...

BUT, when I did drink...

I enjoyed Summer Shanty when it was a nice warm day
I enjoyed Tecate when it was a nice warm day and I was near water
I enjoyed Blue Moon on occasion after dinner in the winter months
And, every other fleeting moment I enjoyed Budweiser...it was my go to beer.

Just typing this out right now makes me want to kind of gag a little though. I can't stand the calories these days and went from overweight alcoholic to alcohol free health nut.

Every now and then an Indian IPA would catch my fancy as well though. I liked beer WAAY too much lol

Back
Top Bottom