Your favorite car ?

Oh, I loved my Fiat X1/9. Mine was yellow.

X19.jpg

Coach

Last edited:
Favorite for what? Assorted hinged side door VW busses were great for camping or trips with a group - or doing the magic bus fantasy and picking up hitchers around Oakland. Did a few thousand miles on several campers with a bungie cord to hold the shiifter into 4th. '67 Datsun SPL1600 was a great 2 seater convertible roadster. VW bugs were lotsa fun with bigger motors and a set of Kadron cabs - or if they were wrecks fun to carve off the bent bodywork and crash around in the brush with. BMWs - my '83 533i was a fine highway cruiser that could corner and do triple digits with aplomb, the E30 was a tripleshot wakeup kick up to 90, the dual cam 318 sang pretty from 4500 up. Ol' Blue the '65 GMC truck was a tank, the Vega, the '65 Mustang, ... Only one car i really didn't get the warm fuzzies for - a urine yellow AMC Hornet - what an uninspired underpowered auto shift from soggy to sadsack pile that was - shoulda got the Simca instead and enjoyed it's quirks.

I had 2 favorites. My 1st car, a fire-engine red '69 Ford Galaxy 500 with black interior and black vinyl roof......that sucker was a tank! My other favorite was my '77 Dodge van that I bought as an empty box, and customized it myself.....it was waaaaay coooool! (until I totaled it out by wrapping it around a telephone pole one Easter Sunday........Oops!)

I really like my current ride too.....an '06 Chevy HHR.....but it can't compare to my other 2 faves!

My favorite was a Porshe 356. It was rusty and beat from too many Boston winters, but I sure felt cool driving it. This is not mine, mine was washed out silver.

img_693723_0_de98f7889eb1e0c76e5f62d85a3b91b5.jpg

Ha

This is my present, and third, 57 Chevy. No question they're my favorite.
57_side.jpg

I had a brand new 1980 Mazda RX7. Fun car to drive. The below pic is one I found on the net. Mine was a baby blue.:) Should have kept it.

img_693773_0_a2cae4642b3fb5a891b203be55cf242d.jpg

This is my present, and third, 57 Chevy. No question they're my favorite.

Great car! I'm partial to the 55s, though.

My older brother had a 54 Chevy back in high school; talk about a tank...

Oh, I loved my Fiat X1/9. Mine was yellow.

Coach

I hear ya Coach! We had a green X1/9 (our little frog) man that thing was fun to drive and, despite it's rediculously small 1400cc engine, it really moved and when it came to handling nomatter how robustly you threw it through a curve it stuck to the road like excrement sticks to a blanket :D

These days we have acquired a 1999 Jaguar 4-litre S-Type to tootle around in. Petrol(gas)-wise it's totally un-PC, but hey, it's fun and we deserve it. It's the grandchild we'll never have so we'll lavish our affection on it instead :D

Cheers - Mick

This is a recent photo of a childhood friend's favorite car. It was taken at a diner in Eagle, WI where people gather to show off their classic cars. Does anyone know the model & year of this convertible hardtop? BTW, it has a red interior and an unbelievably smooth ride.

Sure looks like a 1959 Ford Skyliner. (scroll down)

While 73ss454 finds his pictures, I'll post my favorite of HIS car, the 73 Chevelle! :D

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 119
  • SSa.jpg
    SSa.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 119
Favorite car was a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4D, three on the tree, 283 (I think) V8, in 1966. No A/C, no radio, but it had four wheels and ran.

Favorite vehicle though, was a 1955 Piper Tri-Pacer, bought in 1976. A four-place single-engine airplane.

Second favorite was a 1971 Yamaha 650 motorcycle. Top end was 120 mph on Rt. 340 west of Frederick, MD. No windshield, I had to hang on tight to keep from getting blown off it. When you're 21 you're invulnerable.

While 73ss454 finds his pictures, I'll post my favorite of HIS car, the 73 Chevelle! :D

Thanks Sarah, I can't seem to get my pictures posted.

This is my current car but I do like a bunch of muscle cars.

Any max wedge car gets my blood going and I also love the 1965 Z16 chevelle among others.

I love original cars although they are getting harder and harder to find. My 73 still has it's original paint, interior, mufflers and most other things are also original.

Thanks Sarah, I can't seem to get my pictures posted.

This is my current car but I do like a bunch of muscle cars.

Any max wedge car gets my blood going and I also love the 1965 Z16 chevelle among others.

I love original cars although they are getting harder and harder to find. My 73 still has it's original paint, interior, mufflers and most other things are also original.

I couldn't find a picture of my 67 Chevelle CONVERTIBLE, I wish I would have kept it, but traded it for college tuition..oh well.........:p

I couldn't find a picture of my 67 Chevelle CONVERTIBLE, I wish I would have kept it, but traded it for college tuition..oh well.........:p

I know all about selling cars for college tuition. Not for me but for DD.

I sold a 1969 GTX super track pack Hemi car (one of 99) with 21K original miles. Also a 1972 LT1 corvette with Air 13K original miles to pay for College and Grad school for DD.

Then the prices took off but what can you do.

The car I have now is also very rare and was the last year for the SS Chevelle. Only 600 454 4 speeds built that year. From 66 to 72, the big block Chevelle was built in large #'s. Mostly 30 to 100K a year so having a car that only 600 were built is pretty rare.

Oh yeah, in 1966 I bought a new 1966 SS 396 Chevelle when I was in HS. It was a 4 speed, regal red with a black interior and black vinyl top. Ah, to be young!

I think I have the photos working. Let's see

Attachments

• DSC01212.jpg
    DSC01212.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 2
I hear ya Coach! We had a green X1/9 (our little frog) man that thing was fun to drive and, despite it's rediculously small 1400cc engine, it really moved and when it came to handling nomatter how robustly you threw it through a curve it stuck to the road like excrement sticks to a blanket :D....

Looks a little different from the Fiat my co-worker fell in love with in 1973. She asked me to come along when she bought one (new) on our lunch hour. She didn't negotiate at all and paid full price for the only one they had on the lot. A lot of help I was coming along; IIRC we weren't even late getting back from lunch. I bought my two-year-old '70 Ford from a friend of a friend. I also didn't negotiate, thinking the asking price was a really good deal.

Kumquat, I think you got it--'59 Ford Farelane Skyliner retractable hardtop. It's hard to tell without a clear shot of the grill.

Like the Mini for "knock around town" fun!!

P8040001.JPG

.....but the Bimmer is a reaallll smooooth ride too....I'd say it's a tie!!

P8040002.JPG

I hear ya Coach! We had a green X1/9 (our little frog) man that thing was fun to drive and, despite it's rediculously small 1400cc engine, it really moved and when it came to handling nomatter how robustly you threw it through a curve it stuck to the road like excrement sticks to a blanket :D

You must not have been trying hard enough..... I did a test drive in one, but thought it was not for me... but the salesman was able to do a four wheel drift on a 360 highway entry ramp... LONG before drifting was the in thing...

I will only go with my experiences....

The one I owned was an 87 Firebird Formula 350... quick and handled great... but needed repairs more than I wanted....

As for others... some have been mentioned...

My neighbor had a 69 SS396 with cowl induction... with a number of mods... this was the second quickest car I have been inside... I remember us driving on the freeway and we were behind a car doing about 65... he hit the gas to pass and we were doing 85 beside him and almost 100 pulling in front!!!

I had a friend who had one of the old Firebirds... somehow got a 427 (IIRC), but it was geared for top end so it was not as 'quick' as the SS... but we think we could hit about 160 or more way back when... and it would cruise at 135 to 140 all day...

And the quickist car I was in (and drove for.... 6 to 10 feet).... When I worked at a gas station... one worker had a brother who raced cars... he souped up a 283 and set a national record with the engine... they put it in a Camaro... He drove me around in it a few times... One day he said, "go get some pizza for lunch" and gave me the keys... Well, for some reason it would not start in park... so I put it in 'neutral'... the cam was so radical it would stall if you were not giving it gas... so when I put it in gear it was about to stall... so I gave it gas... TOO MUCH gas... the front end lifted off the ground and I could not see in front of me!!! I slammed on the brakes and it slammed down and stalled... I got out and never got in it again...

Back
Top Bottom