10 Reasons Why 2013 Will Be The Year You Quit Your Job

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Though people who like their jobs are undoubtedly in the minority (and I really wish I knew what the %'s are/were), I often defend the minority position only because the 'work/boss is evil' sentiments are as expected prevalent here. And because I was lucky to have a career that was reasonably satisfying, it just got old after 35 years plus #4 below. I understand and can argue both POVs.

May seem somewhat uncharacteristic for me, but here's a good article that seems to provide a broad list of reasons most people really don't like their work and don't see much future in it. Though it's written for folks who haven't yet retired, the themes will probably be familiar to all adults.

It also points to what it's going to take in the future, nothing new there. FWIW...

10 Reasons Why 2013 Will Be The Year You Quit Your Job | TechCrunch

1) The middle class is dead.
2) You’ve been replaced.
3) Corporations don’t like you.
4) Money is not happiness.
5) Count right now how many people can make a major decision that can ruin your life.
6) Is your job satisfying your needs?
7) Your Retirement Plan is For ****.
8) Excuses.
9) It’s okay to take baby steps.
10) Abundance will never come from your job.

Wonderful article. Thanks for posting.

I wonder how many people who do what he suggests need to read an article like this to get started.

It is a very interesting article. However, none of those reasons were real big in my decision to retire. In my second career I worked as a nurse parttime at night on an orthopedic floor in a medium size hospital. Going through the 10 reasons and how they had little to do with me or my job or my decision to retire. Nurses are definitely one part of the middle class that is doing okay. Being replaced is not likely anytime soon and the pay is okay. Maybe the corporation/hospital board did not like me but my bosses were pretty nice to me. I would agree that money is not happiness but OTOH I was happy to be getting paid. The prospect of someone making a decision that could ruin my life was not there. If management had made changes that even remotely made me unhappy I could have retired earlier or taken one of the many other jobs in nursing that were being offered to me on a regular basis. Number 6, is your job satisfying your needs? is the one I could most easily identify with. At the start of my nursing career in 1995 I spent a lot more time with patients that I did late in my career when computer charting required me to spend too much time sitting at a computer terminal clacking away on the keys. Hey, thats what I am doing now so I will quit for now and go do something more productive......................

Articles like this, and postings here, lead me to conclude that I was indeed lucky to have the work I had. Local government utility (water and sewer) management. Until the last few years (new politicians I just couldn't stomach) it was generally personally rewarding and meaningful. Knowing my purpose was to direct something to continue to provide essential services at as low a cost as possible yet preserve assets for future. Pay was decent, but stagnant last five years. Downside? The 1% or so of customers who demanded special treatment from me or employees who were seen as incompetents who would be working in private sector if we could. That and a slavish devotion to diversity, political correctness, and low regard for those who kicked ass and made things work when all Hell broke loose.

So then I read stories like this or posts describing working for megacorps and realize my pains were minor. They were generally temporary and subsided in a day or two. So I can't really identify with the reasons given to quit.

I also think that because some can flee and thrive, it's a danger to prescribe all to try it. We are NOT all entrepreneurs at heart just waiting to be set free. Even many who are likely do not have the resources to sustain themselves waiting for success. If everyone in all megacorps just woke up one day an said "I'm outta here, I'm doing private consulting" I doubt there would be the demand to satisfy all that freed up talent and misery.

I guess what I'm saying is you can read a lot (as I have since I quit) that describes how people should have the courage to change their lives in many ways, often taking great risk. It certainly is applicable...for some. But not all.

Articles like this, and postings here, lead me to conclude that I was indeed lucky to have the work I had. Local government utility (water and sewer) management.

+1

The occupation for me was law enforcement, but pretty much the same outcome. I feel very fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom