1950's mahogany bedroom suite: what to do?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can someone give me a good opinion on this:
I have a 1950 mahogany chest of drawers in good shape with matching high boy in good shape (except for a chip in it) and a full size bed frame. The shape of this stuff is still usable but, after looking on Ebay and Google, seems relatively unwanted by the masses overall. The 1950's furniture is not collectible compared to, say, the '40's or '60's (go figure?).
I'm not sure what to do with it? Try to sell it for a little amount or just give it away? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of trying to sell it and waste my time and money on this effort. I did that in Houston with a desk and ended up just donating it--even tho I had it professionally refinished and added a thick piece of glass on top (good desk, still looked good but just too costly to find the right buyer).
Has anyone here ever sold a 1950's mahogany bedroom suite maybe at a garage or estate sale? Did you get anything out of it? Or is that period of time just such a pain to sell that I should just give it away pronto?:blush:

Can someone give me a good opinion on this:
I have a 1950 mahogany chest of drawers in good shape with matching high boy in good shape (except for a chip in it) and a full size bed frame. The shape of this stuff is still usable but, after looking on Ebay and Google, seems relatively unwanted by the masses overall. The 1950's furniture is not collectible compared to, say, the '40's or '60's (go figure?).
I'm not sure what to do with it? Try to sell it for a little amount or just give it away? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of trying to sell it and waste my time and money on this effort. I did that in Houston with a desk and ended up just donating it--even tho I had it professionally refinished and added a thick piece of glass on top (good desk, still looked good but just too costly to find the right buyer).
Has anyone here ever sold a 1950's mahogany bedroom suite maybe at a garage or estate sale? Did you get anything out of it? Or is that period of time just such a pain to sell that I should just give it away pronto?:blush:

This thread is USELESS without pics...:D

Can you get the furniture appraised? If the appraisal value is substantially higher than the ebay value you can donate it and take the charitable donation. Organizations like the salvation army will pick it up.

Double beds are a hard sell. We had some 1920s bedroom sets that came with our first house. Sold them for peanuts a few years later.

Double beds are a hard sell. We had some 1920s bedroom sets that came with our first house. Sold them for peanuts a few years later.

Sometimes in big expensive cities so many people live in studios and 1 beds with tiny bedrooms that there is a market. I thought that I might have to use one of these in my very small bedroom, but it is big enough for a Queen, provided she is not too large. All I had to give up was a dresser.

For clothing I use boxes under the bed instead.

Ha

Sometimes in big expensive cities so many people live in studios and 1 beds with tiny bedrooms that there is a market. I thought that I might have to use one of these in my very small bedroom, but it is big enough for a Queen, provided she is not too large. All I had to give up was a dresser.

For clothing I use boxes under the bed instead.

Ha

If you have a laundry room you could put in shelves with baskets there. Then you could just put your clothing away so easily as you take it from the dryer. And, perhaps a rod across the end for hanging clothes too. That's my dream, anyway, and someday I will do it. I would have a combined laundry room, closet, and dressing room, with a pretty bench to sit on while putting on my socks and shoes. No need for any dresser or bureau in my bedroom, at all.

Sorry, just day-dreaming...

As for 50's furniture, I would buy it if it is pretty. I wouldn't buy the full size bed, but I have friends with kids who would.

My daughter is looking for a full size and a dresser, since she is moving out of her dorm into an apartment in a month. She's scoping out the thrift shops and also will be roaming the local apt complexes for others who are leaving furniture behind. So there may be a market for it, but not a very lucrative one. It's been kind of fun listening to the stories of her and her roomie scoping out the thrift shops.

Full size is also a good size for a guest room when you don't want guests getting too comfortable and staying too long.

If you have a laundry room you could put in shelves with baskets there.

I do have a laundry room. Unfortunately it is in the basement and shared with about 35 other people. :)

Ha

Hard to tell without pictures... Some 50's furniture can be "retro chic" and some can be just plain old. But if it is solid mahogany, I think that there could be a market for it.

I do have a laundry room. Unfortunately it is in the basement and shared with about 35 other people. :)

Ha

Oh well. That wouldn't work. It won't work for me, either. I have a washer and dryer, but they are in a closet in the hallway (the type of closet with folding doors, and no room for anything but the washer and dryer). Fooey.

But if/when I move, I will set things up that way some day! :) No need to buy much bedroom furniture (other than a bed) with that setup.

Did someone invoke FD’s mantra re pix?

OrchidFlower, your threads are always so much fun; while we are waiting for your photos:

This was part of my parent’s bedroom set although they always kept it in the living room. 34H 15W 7D Anyone know what era it comes from? ‘40s? I spent $90 shipping it UPS to my office and took it home in a cab.

Attachments

• IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 4
Did someone invoke FD’s mantra re pix?

OrchidFlower, your threads are always so much fun; while we are waiting for your photos:

This was part of my parent’s bedroom set although they always kept it in the living room. 34H 15W 7D Anyone know what era it comes from? ‘40s? I spent $90 shipping it UPS to my office and took it home in a cab.

Used to be in the antique business (side biz), but can't help you on that one. I'm sorry...

Yes, I know I should get out that camera and finally learn how to get the photo from digital to the computer...sigh. However, I can say that this bedroom set is pure strong mahogony but not chic...it's just older and well made.

***I'm hoping there is another board member who has sold a set from the '50's also in the last few years, but this might be a long shot.

I just had a friend over that said she'd sell it as it's in good shape, so maybe I will give it a try. It's so hard to decide what to do, but I know--if I needed a bedroom set--I'd buy it if it were cheap enough.

However, let me say: I have had a friend snottily (I'm coining that word) say I should just give it away after she came over, because "nobody but nobody wants a full size anymore." Well, count me as un-chic, because I gave my really good new queen size bed to my son and kept the full in my bedroom now. I want the bedroom floor space. If I meet Mr. Adequate and he wants a king or whatever, let him get us one...for now, I'm keeping my full size whether it's "in" or not. Guess I'm just un-cool.:blush: I just don't need this particular set I'm getting rid of one way or another.

Since I love older things that are vintage and antique, stories like this always bums me out. What a pity, eh?

Our antique bed (late 19th century) was really a full-size bed when we bought it but it was easily retrofitted to accommodate a queen-size box springs and mattress, so I wouldn't let that be a problem.

Oh, to only bump into the deal a friend of mine did years ago: got an antique well made, great brass double bed for $25! Man, am I still jealous of that one....:D

Seems like furniture is only valuable when I'm buying. Otherwise, it's usually worth pennies on the dollar.

Seems like furniture is only valuable when I'm buying. Otherwise, it's usually worth pennies on the dollar.

:LOL: Ditto, Winger!

Orchid---your furniture sounds very similar to what my parents had in their bedroom in my old childhood home. It was very well-made furniture from I believe Grand Rapids, MI. Suite had twin beds, highboy, dresser, vanity with bench, bedside tables and was very attractive. After my Dad died, my sister and I had much of the furniture auctioned as we were not settled enough ourselves at the time to keep so much stuff. I see similar pieces at a used furniture store near my office once in awhile for various prices depending on condition. Unfortunately, nice dressers such as you describe only fetch maybe a hundred to a hundred and fifty apiece if in excellent condition. I don't know about the double bed. I have a three bedroom house and have a queen in my room, a double in one guest room and a twin in the smallest room.

Craiglist is a possibility. There's an antique mall about 20 miles from my house. They rent out booth space. Place has tons of stuff. I've thought about seeing if I could get someone who rented space to take some of my stuff on a co-sign deal.

Used to be in the antique business (side biz), but can't help you on that one. I'm sorry...

Yes, I know I should get out that camera and finally learn how to get the photo from digital to the computer...sigh. However, I can say that this bedroom set is pure strong mahogony but not chic...it's just older and well made.

***I'm hoping there is another board member who has sold a set from the '50's also in the last few years, but this might be a long shot.

I just had a friend over that said she'd sell it as it's in good shape, so maybe I will give it a try. It's so hard to decide what to do, but I know--if I needed a bedroom set--I'd buy it if it were cheap enough.

However, let me say: I have had a friend snottily (I'm coining that word) say I should just give it away after she came over, because "nobody but nobody wants a full size anymore." Well, count me as un-chic, because I gave my really good new queen size bed to my son and kept the full in my bedroom now. I want the bedroom floor space. If I meet Mr. Adequate and he wants a king or whatever, let him get us one...for now, I'm keeping my full size whether it's "in" or not. Guess I'm just un-cool.:blush: I just don't need this particular set I'm getting rid of one way or another.

I am not good with computers. I found getting a digital camera, downloading pictures and posting them here was pretty simple. If you are going to sell this you might want to try Craigslist. Pictures of what you are selling are really important. I never even bother to look at an ad that doesn't have pictures.

:LOL: Ditto, Winger!

Orchid---your furniture sounds very similar to what my parents had in their bedroom in my old childhood home. It was very well-made furniture from I believe Grand Rapids, MI. Suite had twin beds, highboy, dresser, vanity with bench, bedside tables and was very attractive. After my Dad died, my sister and I had much of the furniture auctioned as we were not settled enough ourselves at the time to keep so much stuff. I see similar pieces at a used furniture store near my office once in awhile for various prices depending on condition. Unfortunately, nice dressers such as you describe only fetch maybe a hundred to a hundred and fifty apiece if in excellent condition. I don't know about the double bed. I have a three bedroom house and have a queen in my room, a double in one guest room and a twin in the smallest room.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I think--if I were looking at this to buy--I'd give $150 for the whole lot if I had a full mattress, so that's for the bed frame, high boy and chest of drawers. To me, that would be a good deal and I'd be happy with it.

I think I'll hit some junk stores today here and take a gander just for fun.

Seems to me you could buy these chests cheap, paint on them some and quadruple the price if you did some really creative things with them...hmmmmm...good idea for the future. But I'm always getting these creative urges..haha!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom