A cousin is homeless

True, it was not a perfect solution. But, without it she might have been wiped out in only a few years. Or so I am told.
I'm pullin' your chain, but yeah, some people are drawn to bankruptcy like a moth to a flame.

It really struck me how many people I know really hate their jobs after being around less retired and more employed people than we usually are around on Thanksgiving. Maybe the van people really are happier.

The saddest stories I read on this board (to me at least) are those of folks who hate their current jobs but due to golden handcuffs, needing more money in the portfolio, needing medical coverage or whatever are going to stay on for additional years. Sometimes it seems like good career planning and the good fortune of getting into a career you enjoy are as important as retirement planning, maybe more so.

I didn't get to FIRE until 58. DW FIRE'd at 55. Certainly not young by the standards of this board. But we were both doing things we liked (to some varying extent or the other depending on the day) and never felt like we were in hell while working. I can't imagine spending years and years toiling at something you really dislike because you think it's going to enable you to RE.

I'm sure everyone's thoughts on this will vary......

Last edited:
Haha, I'm sorry to hear of what you are going through. I am going through something similar with a friend I recently connected with on Facebook. She lives on the east coast and has what looks to be schizophrenia. I have spoken to mutual friends who live back their and they have all counseled me to stay away from her, that she is beyond my abilities. After reading her rants on FB, I have come to the same conclusion.

I knew she had a terrible childhood, but now I see how much she is suffering as an adult. She is on SSDI, has subsidized housing, food stamps and a part time job. She is better off than many, but she still dumpster dives for cans.

I have decided to send her some money anonymously, in hopes that it will add a little quality to her life. I am not sure what else I could do that would be prudent.

I hope you keep us posted, Haha.

I have decided to send her some money anonymously, in hopes that it will add a little quality to her life. I am not sure what else I could do that would be prudent.

If you know or can find out some things she really enjoys but can't normally afford, send her some. Stuff instead of cash might be a good idea.

My dad always helped his long widowed, destitute aunt. She was a sweetheart and a pleasure to be around even well into her 80's. When dad died, I wasn't sure what to do. Eventually we figured out that inviting her (which involved a tedious journey into the city to pick her up) to a few family gatherings and sending her home with boxes of groceries and household goods made her the happiest little old lady to ever live in public housing on the wrong side of the tracks....... When we gave her cash, we were never quite sure what she did with it.

Last edited:
The saddest stories I read on this board (to me at least) are those of folks who hate their current jobs but due to golden handcuffs, needing more money in the portfolio, needing medical coverage or whatever are going to stay on for additional years. Sometimes it seems like good career planning and the good fortune of getting into a career you enjoy are as important as retirement planning, maybe more so.

I'm sure everyone's thoughts on this will vary......

Youbet...I was one of the Golden Handcuffs and not crazy about the job. You are absolutely right. Been there. It can drive you crazy. Not any more!

They wrote a song for these funny, sad people:

I had forgotten about that song. I really think life success boils down to so many things that are not enjoyable for some people . Everyone recognizes confidence and self esteem. Some people do not have the tough determination and stick with it attitude it takes to make it in this tough World. Instead of trying something else when failure comes they give up . They lose that inner drive that is so vital to success.

Ha,
Sounds similar to a situation I went through, my daughter had a foster child that really struggled with responsibility and sued to be given independence and was then homeless for several months living in homeless shelters.

After that I worked with my daughter and paid for one year's rent in a very meager apartment, rent was $550 a month. Paid through my daughter who then told him they were paying for one year and he had to get himself back up to fend for himself. After a year he did and now has a full time job with benefits. Sometimes the experience of being homeless can be a motivator, perhaps you could look at a situation like that if you could afford it.....

Back
Top Bottom