American Idol 2012 Thread

More summer babies, no?

Not in our family, all 4 of us conceived in the warm weather, but the house had no heating except for a coal fire in the main room downstairs, plus no running water in the house. Maybe these days it's different :)

Never thought I'd see Led Zeppelin performed on AI. And by a girl no less. That was really great. Elise Testone showed something. Doubt she will make the finals but that was good stuff.

I also liked Phillip Phillips and Colton Dixon. Hollie is cute.

Don't care for Skylar Laine. She gets my vote to depart.

....Don't care for Skylar Laine. She gets my vote to depart.

Before Deandre and Jeejun? They are both dreadful.

While I agree that Skylar isn't in the top echelon of the remaining contestants, IMO she is miles ahead of those two clowns.

Before Deandre and Jeejun? They are both dreadful.

While I agree that Skylar isn't in the top echelon of the remaining contestants, IMO she is miles ahead of those two clowns.

No objection to either of those leaving. Especially Deandre.

+1 Now that you mention it, Deandre probably should be the next to go. His recent performances have been disappointing.

I'll go further, he should have been among the first to go. I can't stand all that falsetto. It's not even good falsetto. I can't imagine why the judges say anything good about him.

But remember, IMO there is no point in getting hung up on who stays and who goes. The votes are determined by whoever texts the most (mostly 12 yo girls I assume), no real reflection of quality. So when I watch, it is to hopefully catch a good performance (of which there were a surprising number last show). If they get voted off, they get voted off. If they are good, they'll make a career outside of AI. Like Jennifer Hudson (amazing talent), and even Kelly Pickler (OK, not amazing like Hudson, but she was really, really good at times, super-cute/personable, and she is doing well in her niche).

-ERD50

Never thought I'd see Led Zeppelin performed on AI.

Elise kicked it big time on Whole Lotta Love. This was one of the best Idol shows in a long time and I gotta give some props to Stevie Nicks.

In addition to Elise, Haley did a great job on a Zep song as already mentioned. Then there was this from season 8...

[HQ] ADAM LAMBERT performing "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin + judges - YouTube

Sad to see Heejun go but he went out with class. Great final performance from him.

Elise kicked it big time on Whole Lotta Love. This was one of the best Idol shows in a long time and I gotta give some props to Stevie Nicks.

In addition to Elise, Haley did a great job on a Zep song as already mentioned. Then there was this from season 8...

[HQ] ADAM LAMBERT performing "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin + judges - YouTube

Sad to see Heejun go but he went out with class. Great final performance from him.

Either Lambert's backup band had a lot of left-handed players, or the video was mistakenly reversed. I'm rooting for Elise. She first got my attention when she performed here (and this version of the song is simply fantastic):

I cannot believe that Hollie was in the bottom three ahead of Deandre.

We should take phones and internet away from 12 year old girls on Wednesday nights. They don't think straight.

+1
I could not believe the judges when they said, "I don't know what's happening tonight that we have all these great performances"...duh!... Stevie Nicks!!!

Stevie Nicks was cool, wasn't she?

I am gonna jump in and say that I liked Heejun (only during auditions and the last song he sang, but hey.) He is nothing special, technically speaking, but something about his voice is really soothing and hits me emotionally.

I really cannot take tight sounding sounds like the ones Joshua and Colton generates. They hit all the right notes, but gees, can they open up their throat a bit more? (It's almost painful to my ears, so I have to fast-forward.) Hollie has a nice clear voice, but mechanical and robotic to me. I think she will be so much better with more experience.

I like Phillip and Elise Testone. I am glad Elise started smiling more and looking more confident. She is not young enough to be the AI, but I enjoy her singing styles. I hope she will stay more mainstream on the show with song choices though, if she wants to stay in. I believe Haley got eliminated when she did Zeppelin (but that was when she was already high up in the ranking.)

DeAndre is kind of strange, but he sounds a lot like the guy who sings high notes in Earth, Wind & Fire.

I like Jessica but probably only her ballads (Her "I Will Always Love You" was AMAZING.) Both DeAndre and Jessica do this slow motion vibrato and I am not a fan of slow waves.

Only music I have ever downloaded out of all AI singers is Kelly Clarkson. Maybe I just like the kind of music she sings.

WOW. All this is coming from someone who cannot sing!!!

Last edited:
I'll go further, he should have been among the first to go. I can't stand all that falsetto. It's not even good falsetto. I can't imagine why the judges say anything good about him.

+1 Admittedly, I'm a Bee Gees fan going back to the late 60's, and that includes their numerous songs in falsetto. They did it right. I find Deandre's falsetto's just irritating.

There were a bunch of good performances this past week. One of the better overall episodes in terms of quality performances. I think there were two reasons for that:
1. Stevie Nicks and her mentorship
2. The contestants got to pick their own songs instead of being limited to some pre-chosen song book. They got to sing songs in their wheelhouse.

Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I could do without the new fashion guy though. Laughed out loud when he told Phillip not to wear gray. So instead Phillip comes out wearing gray on gray. Genius!

.....Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I could do without the new fashion guy though. Laughed out loud when he told Phillip not to wear gray. So instead Phillip comes out wearing gray on gray. Genius!

+1 In fact, I would like to see Jimmy replace Steven Tyler as a judge. Tyler usually adds very little, but I will admit it was refreshing that he called out Heejun for his immature antics a couple weeks ago.

I agree that the fashion guy is a joke.

I'm still trying to figure out Phillip. Likable guy, ok voice, but his facial machinations when he sings are odd.

There were a bunch of good performances this past week. One of the better overall episodes in terms of quality performances. I think there were two reasons for that:
1. Stevie Nicks and her mentorship
2. The contestants got to pick their own songs instead of being limited to some pre-chosen song book. They got to sing songs in their wheelhouse.

Also, I never knew who this Jimmy Iovine cat was. But I have to say I really like him. He gives good honest feedback. Much better than the judges in that department.

I really enjoyed this week's performances, too. It was a great show. I thought some of the contestants (like Jessica Sanchez) didn't choose songs that would fully highlight their vocal strength, and others (like Elise Testone) did.

Jimmy is a very likable guy and appears to have extensive experience in dealing with potential superstar musicians. Yes, he is honest and more of that is needed on AI now that Simon Cowell is gone. It seems Steven and Jennifer often are reluctant to be more than members of a cheering team. Despite his refreshingly honest comments, sometimes I think Jimmy is just plain wrong.

As for the new fashion guy (Tommy Hilfiger, I believe), the outfits he puts these contestants in are the worse ever IMO. I did like the flashy pants that Jessica wore when singing "Turn the Beat Around", but her outfit for "Everybody Has a Dream" was mousy and dull IMO, and made her look like a nobody. Recently (when she was singing "Shameless") he put Skylar in an outfit that I think deliberately emphasiized the size of her behind, something that she doesn't need. It just wasn't flattering at all.

+1 Admittedly, I'm a Bee Gees fan going back to the late 60's, and that includes their numerous songs in falsetto. They did it right. I find Deandre's falsetto's just irritating.

+2 I am totally tired of Deandre. He is a one trick pony with all the falsetto stuff and needs to go.

As to the judges, I frequently do not agree with their comments and it almost seems to me that they play different favorites each week and try to sway the vote. While I like Jimmy, also do not always agree with some of the things he says. That said, IMO Stevie was right on with her advice.

As for the new fashion guy (Tommy Hilfiger, I believe), the outfits he puts these contestants in are the worse ever IMO.
I kind of blame him for the untimely departure of Erika Van Pelt. Erika looked horrible in her new hairdo, in that she easily aged 10 years with the it; that is on the show in which its voters are teens. I saw her mom on the show and she looked like Erika's sister.

Last year Jimmy said of Scotty, "that kid is going to sell a lot of records". I guess he was right. 1,000,000 albums.:eek:

This week's theme: songs of the 80s. Mentor: Gwen Stefani. I'd love to hear Elise do "Walk this Way". It was first released in the 70s, but Run DMC released this cover version in the 80s. She's got the vocal chops and sassy attitude to pull it off.

RUN-DMC - Walk This Way - YouTube

This week's theme: songs of the 80s. Mentor: Gwen Stefani. I'd love to hear Elise do "Walk this Way". It was first released in the 70s, but Run DMC released this cover version in the 80s. She's got the vocal chops and sassy attitude to pull it off.

I am hoping Elise will something like that too.

Here is Carrie Underwood with Steven Tyler doing Walk This Way. (2011 ACM Country Music Awards )
Steven Tyler & Carrie Underwood - Walk This Way - 2011 ACM Country Music Awards Live Performance - YouTube

This must be a hard song to sing for a country singer.

I am hoping Elise will something like that too.

Here is Carrie Underwood with Steven Tyler doing Walk This Way. (2011 ACM Country Music Awards )

This must be a hard song to sing for a country singer.

Forgot about this. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom