Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
BIL had the same problem - they sent him a replacement part - a little piece where the air line goes into the mattress.
Thanks spncity. I've wanted to do this, just haven't had the time to do it. Good to know it works.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
I am looking for input on what type of mattress to purchase. I've been looking around at the memory foam types as well as other pillow top models. Costco has a pretty good deal on a memory foam model that is pretty inexpensive (compared to the Temperpedics and others). As one who experiences lower back problems from time-to-time I would like to make a careful choice.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks
1) First, are you single, or is there another sleeper going to be on this mattress with you?

If two people on one matress, then Beautyrest provides the best "motion dampening" via the individually pocketed coil springs. Tossing and turning "undampened" of the other partner can make one lose a lot of sleep. Wife and I purchased a Beautyrest Worldclass last year after she was complaining of sore backs from our old mattress. We both sleep deeply now, and no more sore backs! And no more one of us waking up the other tossing or turning.

2) Second, if you don't like to sleep "hot", or feel "molded" into one spot, then perhaps memory foam is not for you. Both complaints have been made about memory foam by unsatisfied purchasers--when it was too late. If you go with queen for two people, some say that is not large enough for a person to change position and get out of the "molded" spot when you want to.

3) Third, it used to be "very firm" was the recommendation fo sore backs, but much study and research has belied that old advice. Now, the advice is personal preference as to degree of firmness.

4) Fourth, since you will live with this purchase for a longtime, try as many ways to "test" matresses as you can----find motels with mattress type you are interested in. Lay on matresses for no less than 15 or 20 minutes at matresses stores. See if relatives or friends have a mattress type you might be interested in and will let you sleep over a night on it. Do whatever it takes to actually "test" for a good long while the mattresses.

5)Good luck.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
go to a mattress store and lay down on the foam ones to see if you like it. i didn't when i tried it out.

we got the simmons beautyrest for the individual coils that are not connected by a top spring layer - this does reduce the residual bouncing if your mate is jostly around, you don't feel it on your side.

i also think a lot of mattresses have gone nuts with the pillow top layer. if it is too fluffy, it will eventually make a dent, so i avoided the 5 inch pillow top ones!

We also got a Beautyrest Worldclass queen. Besides the advantages you mention, several of the Beautyrest also, in fact have 3 or 4 layers of foam (both latex and memory) inside as layers beaneath and above the innerspring coils. We like it very much.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
From the FAQ on the tempurpedic web site ( TEMPUR Retail# )

"Will the Tempur-Pedic mattress make me hot?
No. The cells themselves are open and breathable, so the material is self-ventilating. Unlike innerspring mattresses which cause pressure points, the TEMPURŪ material relieves pressure resulting in better circulation. Due to the increase in circulation throughout your body, you may discover you need fewer blankets to sleep comfortably. "

You expected maybe the Tempur-Pedic website to say "yes, our product does make you hot. Just deal with it."?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

quote: "...Due to the increase in circulation throughout your body, you may discover you need fewer blankets to sleep comfortably. "

Uh, huh. That could also describe any woman going through menopause!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
We also got a Beautyrest Worldclass queen. Besides the advantages you mention, several of the Beautyrest also, in fact have 3 or 4 layers of foam (both latex and memory) inside as layers beaneath and above the innerspring coils. We like it very much.
Funny timing. Didn't even think to check this board but DW has been harassing me to replace our mattress for months and we did the tour of showrooms today as well as other online research before finally buying. We, too, settled on a Simmons Beautyrest WorldClass with the combo of memory and latex foam. She is waiting outside right now for it to be delivered

For anyone considering a Beautyrest, found this online thread (1800 replies) that has a ton of info and the authors give prompt responses if you have questions on recommendations, name translations between stores, etc. Just a little challenging to navigate since you can't search.

BeautyRest Q&A: Ask the Expert
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Number's bed and while kind of expensive my wife and I love it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
BR, I'm curious if you ever compared the Temper-pedic with the more generic brands.

I ended up buying something for about 60% (IIRC) the cost of a the name brand stuff. I'm happy with it, but maybe I would have been happier with the name-brand, I don't really know? The reviews at the time were very positive on some of the off-brand foam mattresses, and the general feeling was you were paying extra for the name.

So, maybe no one would go wrong with a name-brand foam mattress, but are they worth the extra money?

-ERD50
I never tried the cheaper ones. When I had my store though, I had a Temper-pedic place close to my place, and being on my feet all day just utterly killed my back (broke my back in several places in the Marines), and I would go over to visit and just lay on their beds for show, and it would really help my back pain after a few minutes.

I would figure though that if the generics were as good as the original, there might be more of a price war with TP lowering their prices. But like I said, I never tried the cheaper ones.

It is such a good bed though, I feel like I ripped Temper off hehe.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #69

Quote:
Tried several mattress toppers. And the Tempurpedic reflected too much heat back.

Serta Blissful Dream II. Glad I waited for it.
An update on this bed - which I loved. After 18 months, it was sagging on both sides (or making a "well" on each side as some describe it).

This led to trying a different more expensive S & F mattress which I hated. So, am on the hunt again for the right bed / mattress.

I've read lots of stuff online, but it comes down to how sensitive you are to your sleeping surface, and what one person likes can be the opposite of what someone else likes.

Tempur-pedic is too hot for me. Looking for something "breathable" to combat hot spots of reflected heat in a soft or "luxurious" type of feel.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've got Tempurpedic at one house, and the Sleep Number bed at the other. Both are extremely comfortable, although as you say, the Tempurpedic one can run a little hot. DW, who is the difficult sleeper, probably prefers the Sleep Number. We put a feather mattress topper on the Tempurpedic, which helps a lot with the temp. However, she needs a stool to climb in and out of bed now.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We've got Tempurpedic at one house, and the Sleep Number bed at the other. Both are extremely comfortable, although as you say, the Tempurpedic one can run a little hot. DW, who is the difficult sleeper, probably prefers the Sleep Number. We put a feather mattress topper on the Tempurpedic, which helps a lot with the temp. However, she needs a stool to climb in and out of bed now.
We've got a Tempur-pedic and it is a little hot for me as well.

Doesn't the feather mattress topper cancel out the firmness and body molding of the Tempur mattress?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tempur-pedic is too hot for me. Looking for something "breathable" to combat hot spots of reflected heat in a soft or "luxurious" type of feel.
This mattress (The "Ultimate Mattress") is available with a breathable wool top layer (said to be warm in winter cool in summer, and allows transiration of water vapor). Under that is a layer of viscoelastic foam (like a Tempurpedic bed). Under that are the air chambers--choose the firmness you want, each side is independent like the Sleep Number bed. This is the mattress we've had for over ten years, and we like it a lot. They've been making them the same way for a long time, it is a small family business, and mattresses cost quite a bit less than either a Sleep Number or a Tempurpedic mattresswhen I priced them out.

They also make a neat platform that is available separately. The mattress sits on it and underneath there are a LOT of drawers. It's not mch to look at, but for people looking for a lot of storage in a small space, it is a solution.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We've got a Tempur-pedic and it is a little hot for me as well.

Doesn't the feather mattress topper cancel out the firmness and body molding of the Tempur mattress?
A little, but we don't toss and turn too much, so the feathers tend to mold to our bodies too. It's not a perfect solution. I prefer the Sleep Number. Actually, when we stay in hotels we tend to carry a twin size memory foam topper for her. She's got a bad back, and beds tend to be a big problem. I personally, can still sleep on the couch if I need to (which I do, occasionally).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I personally, can still sleep on the couch if I need to (which I do, occasionally).
I think ALL MARRIED men need to have the ability to sleep on the couch........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote