Anyone see the 60 minutes on work last night?

Yep, there was a complex formula, and some people in other states got as little as $400, where those who hit all the right categories (salary grade, state, program, etc.) got as much as $10,000. I got 5k and considered myself lucky.

Yeah, class actions are a bonanza for the lawyers but don't generally help the lowly class members. I had a contract with CSC prior to RE. I hope some of that team got a little bonus -- they were pretty good.

The only good thing I can say about CSC is that I had an opportunity to work on everything. I was a lowly windows desktop tech when I got there, I pretended to be a LAN admin at the small company I came from. After I left I had supported thousands of nodes running Windows/Solaris/Irix/Linux with Active Directory and Novell 4.11 for NOS. Big A** enterprise operations where I'm responsible for scores of exchange servers, backup servers moving terabytes of data, etc. Hard to be intimidated by the scale of any operation after that hellish experience.

My husband got way more than 10K for a settlement. :D Of course we paid through the nose on income taxes.

I do not think it is illegal to tell true exempt people that they expect you to work more than 40 hours..

I was in one of the big accounting firms and we would get memos during tax season on the expected amount of billable hours per week... and it got crazy when the minimum was 80... which meant you worked 90 to 100 as there were non-billable time..

On another one.. my sister was a manager at a pizza place.. the night manager quit and they told my sister she had to work double shifts... she worked 90 hour weeks for 3 months and then told them she was only going to work her shift.. they fired her.. she got no unemployment as they had the right to require her to work the 90 hour week..

Laurence said:
No, we were all exempt, the argument was explained to me that while as exempt employees we could be expected to do unpaid overtime to meet needs, they could not mandate unpaid overtime in the way they did. I don't speak legaleze, but I am not confused as to my exempt/non exempt status.  There were very specific requirements to participate in the class action, and you had to be salary grades between x-y, which were all exempt positions.  Hourly employees were excluded from the lawsuit because they were paid for their overtime (and consequently didn't get much of it).

What is at issue is the defn of "salary". A "salary" is a sum paid weekly or less frequently that does not depend on the quanity, quality of output or hours worked. Keeping close track of hours worked for pay purposes defeats the requirement that the employee be salaried.

After reading this whole thread so far, all I can say is:

I think this is why someone created an ER forum in the first place! :)

So hopefully, eventually it won't matter to us what "salary" means!

just_hatched said:
So hopefully, eventually it won't matter to us what "salary" means!
In those terms, as an ER your time is worthless.

Except to you.

Back
Top Bottom