Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, you get what you pay for!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, come on people. The car got delivered without a scratch. What more do you want?

So, the driver did not have fancy equipment, but he probably has done this many times.

Well, something bad could have happened, but there was insurance. He had insurance, didn't he, Al?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

On the bright side, a great anecdote generated and car delivered safe.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love the name of the broker that Al used, upscaleautotransport.com
Old 05-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #25

OK, seeing the pics that Al posted, how many would want to do business with this carrier?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
OK, seeing the pics that Al posted, how many would want to do business with this carrier?
I wouldn't rule it out based on what was shown. It looks like he took care to get the car off the trailer without damage, and there's nothing obviously unsafe about what was shown. But, the pictures indicate an operation that may be on the "skinny" side of the capitalization curve, so I'd want to see proof of insurance and licensing, and I'd want to know that the brakes on that trailer work. There's no particular reason to think a shinier trailer would be in better mechanical condition, but if he's operating on a thin margin--well, I'd want to at least check the big, obvious stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
The trip is less than 400 miles - a relatively short trip, so why not?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Upscaleautotransport may be just a broker. You do not know what independent mom-and-pop guy will haul your car. It may be the same with other outfits.

By the way, they work fast. T-Al arranged it one day, had his car the next.

About the trailer, my neighbor has a trailer he uses to haul his Jeep out to the boondocks to go 4-wheeling all the time. His trailer looks about the same condition as that, only shorter.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Al, how much did it cost?

As others said there's nothing wrong with the said setup or the nationality as long as the job got done as expected. I used to race cars and I saw plenty of people get into the 'who has the nicest haulers to drag their cars to the tracks'. Overtime I saw people go from single axle trailers to Kennworth based car transports and everything in between, it became a sport less about driver skills at the track but who had the fanciest crap behind the pit wall- while I mostly drove my single seater car with no ac, rollcage etc 500+ miles one way because I got 35mpg lol. Soon many of the fancy setups disappeared when the 2000 dot-bomb era hit.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The trip is less than 400 miles - a relatively short trip, so why not?
Looking at that rig, you have more courage than me.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Looking at that rig, you have more courage than me.
Just add some decent tie downs and ramps, otherwise looks ok to me.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #32

From what Al posted previously, he used a broker who posts the job to all of the haulers that work with that broker. Al never saw the hauler before his car was delivered. Al paid $200 on his credit card and gave $250. to the hauler. Don't know mechanically but from the pics the trailer and ramps are fine except ramps are a little short. Ramps are that size because they fit in the slots under the trailer just behind the trailer wheels. Maybe this couple is starting out and bought what they could afford. If they get the job done with no problems and are insured that's a good thing.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #33

The issue that I see is the bottom pic in post 18, those ramps almost appear to be collapsing.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The trailer looks old, but it may be just surface rust and does not impact structural integrity. The wood planks look weathered, but we need to look closer to know if they are still sound.

The steel ramps do not look that substantial, and I wonder what their ratings are. The white metal ramps are all bent up, but it looks like they used it only to get a bit of clearance to avoid scraping the car underside on the edge of the trailer.

By the way, these cars weight about 3,500 lbs, and only one axle is on the ramps at one time. So, each ramp must be able to hold 1/4 of the weight, or about 1000 lbs. It does not look like they can, but these people must have used these numerous times.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Al, how much did it cost?
$450.

If I were doing it again, I would try to avoid that situation.

United Road said that they use their own trucks. That is, they aren't just brokers. I didn't go with them, because the woman was making up scare stories to make me afraid of the other companies ("the driver may get to your house a refuse to unload the car unless you give him another $200").

UR wanted $550, but I would have been willing to pay that. The guy I spoke with at UpScale was responsive, returned my calls, etc.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

See. These people are responsive. They deliver the car next day. No scratch, no dent. The price is lower than the competition. And customers are still not happy because the trailer is not shiny.

Man, it's tough to make a buck.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #37
gone traveling

I've had good luck with getting bids on USHIP. Ive moved a half dozen vehicles over the years ..several across country. All went smoothly.