Anyone Used a Car Transport Service

OK, seeing the pics that Al posted, how many would want to do business with this carrier?
I wouldn't rule it out based on what was shown. It looks like he took care to get the car off the trailer without damage, and there's nothing obviously unsafe about what was shown. But, the pictures indicate an operation that may be on the "skinny" side of the capitalization curve, so I'd want to see proof of insurance and licensing, and I'd want to know that the brakes on that trailer work. There's no particular reason to think a shinier trailer would be in better mechanical condition, but if he's operating on a thin margin--well, I'd want to at least check the big, obvious stuff.

OK, seeing the pics that Al posted, how many would want to do business with this carrier?
The trip is less than 400 miles - a relatively short trip, so why not?

Upscaleautotransport may be just a broker. You do not know what independent mom-and-pop guy will haul your car. It may be the same with other outfits.

By the way, they work fast. T-Al arranged it one day, had his car the next.

About the trailer, my neighbor has a trailer he uses to haul his Jeep out to the boondocks to go 4-wheeling all the time. His trailer looks about the same condition as that, only shorter.

Last edited:
Al, how much did it cost?

As others said there's nothing wrong with the said setup or the nationality as long as the job got done as expected. I used to race cars and I saw plenty of people get into the 'who has the nicest haulers to drag their cars to the tracks'. Overtime I saw people go from single axle trailers to Kennworth based car transports and everything in between, it became a sport less about driver skills at the track but who had the fanciest crap behind the pit wall- while I mostly drove my single seater car with no ac, rollcage etc 500+ miles one way because I got 35mpg lol. Soon many of the fancy setups disappeared when the 2000 dot-bomb era hit.

From what Al posted previously, he used a broker who posts the job to all of the haulers that work with that broker. Al never saw the hauler before his car was delivered. Al paid $200 on his credit card and gave $250. to the hauler. Don't know mechanically but from the pics the trailer and ramps are fine except ramps are a little short. Ramps are that size because they fit in the slots under the trailer just behind the trailer wheels. Maybe this couple is starting out and bought what they could afford. If they get the job done with no problems and are insured that's a good thing.

The issue that I see is the bottom pic in post 18, those ramps almost appear to be collapsing.

The trailer looks old, but it may be just surface rust and does not impact structural integrity. The wood planks look weathered, but we need to look closer to know if they are still sound.

The steel ramps do not look that substantial, and I wonder what their ratings are. The white metal ramps are all bent up, but it looks like they used it only to get a bit of clearance to avoid scraping the car underside on the edge of the trailer.

By the way, these cars weight about 3,500 lbs, and only one axle is on the ramps at one time. So, each ramp must be able to hold 1/4 of the weight, or about 1000 lbs. It does not look like they can, but these people must have used these numerous times.

Last edited:
Al, how much did it cost?

$450.

If I were doing it again, I would try to avoid that situation.

United Road said that they use their own trucks. That is, they aren't just brokers. I didn't go with them, because the woman was making up scare stories to make me afraid of the other companies ("the driver may get to your house a refuse to unload the car unless you give him another $200").

UR wanted $550, but I would have been willing to pay that. The guy I spoke with at UpScale was responsive, returned my calls, etc.

See. These people are responsive. They deliver the car next day. No scratch, no dent. The price is lower than the competition. And customers are still not happy because the trailer is not shiny.

Man, it's tough to make a buck.

I've had good luck with getting bids on USHIP. Ive moved a half dozen vehicles over the years ..several across country. All went smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom