Applesauce: Peel or No Peel

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Made some great applesauce and apple butter from a friend's apples a few weeks ago. Yesterday I got 45 pounds of apples from his trees, and I'm going to make a big batch of applesauce to freeze.

Last time I peeled the apples, but I'm considering leaving them on this time. Since it's such a big batch, I want it to be good.

Your comments on applesauce with/without peels?

Thanks,

I am someone who likes leaving the peels on most things, like potatoes when mashed or apples when baked. However, peelings in apple sauce is not that great. The peelings just taste like tough strings in the sauce and don't add any flavor. Been there, done that.

I vote to peel for the sauce. I like it a bit on the smooth to chunky side and the peels just not that appealing here. Might I suggest slicing and seasoning for a nice apple pie with the skins left on? Just measure out the amount for your pie plates and season then freeze in a ziplock. That is one of the favs here when we get lots of apples! I quit peeling when we discovered the peels are great in a pie!

Don't peel. But my apples are organic - if yours may have pesticides still on the skin, I'd peel, or at least wash really thoroughly.
Current thought (I'll let you Google) is that a lot of the nutritional goodies in apples are in the skin.
DH and I use a Foley food mill and my late grandma's conical applesauce press. The press is faster with less elbow grease. I plan to buy another on Ebay for next fall.

Wow, the Foley Food Mill! I used one for years, then we decided we liked our applesauce chunky, so I have been peeling ever since. Once the apples are cooked, I just use a potato masher. Little bit of cinnamon, little bit of sugar, yum! I haven't eaten applesauce out of a jar or can in my life. Love to make it!! The apples I like best are Courtland, Empire, McIntosh, and other varieties that are crossed with those. Nothing like home made!!

Foley Food Mill

I had one like that and got rid of it; it had a big capacity, but I like the ones with swappable discs so you can have different textures.

foodmill.gif

You guys have inspired me to try and make some applesauce! Here they don't sell it except in microscopic amounts as baby/toddler food.

I can't wait to make a batch of potato pancakes with applesauce! Will need to experiment with available apples (we don't get any of the ones cj lists). :(

Hey...I like the new Foley with the interchangable disks! Now I have to get one! Yeah...things you learn on this forum.:D

Hey, you guys know that you can buy applesauce in big jars and cans, right? What is all this talk of "making" it? Leave this to the experts who do it all day and know what they are doing!

Geez, next you'll be proposing that people bake bread in their house or make soup from a bunch of disparate components.

I peeled the apples. This batch is from just 25% of the apples.

Applesauce.jpg

Tomorrow I might try a batch without peeling.

And, BTW, here's the Apple Butter that I made last month, based on your suggestions (thanks):

AppleButter.JPG

What is all this talk of "making" it? Leave this to the experts who do it all day and know what they are doing!

Geez, next you'll be proposing that people bake bread in their house or make soup from a bunch of disparate components.

Homegrown's alright with me
Homegrown, that's the way it should be
Homegrown is a good thing
Plant that bell and let it ring...

Neil Young

Back
Top Bottom