Are you fashion conscious (plus rambling trip story and BJ bragging)

Socks? I vaguely remember socks....
When my feet get cold I know it's time to head south for the winter.

Likewise, I was thinking more of when I was working. Another good piece of advice I once read was "any colour socks will match as long as they are skin colour". Never wear socks in Arizona. This means the shoes have to be pretty comfortable.

I just replaced my entire winter wardrobe as I went from a 4 to a 6: MACY'S RUN :)

4 colored jeans (gray, green, brown, denim) @ $14.99 - 20
4 coordinating sweaters average $25
Matching socks 6 pk $8
3 sweaters somewhere in shipping $44

Total cost under $250

Last edited:
As to the problem with men's suits:

Perry Ellis and a number of other lower end brands sell suits as separates. That's how you can get 36L jacket with a 28 waist pant. Otherwise it's next to impossible (according to the tailor) to get the paint properly fit

It's never been an issue with Brooks Brothers

My wardrobe is two extremes. I have a stash of beautiful bespoke business clothes including blouses with french cuffs (and cuff links to go with them). It's great motivation to keep my weight stable so I don't "grow out" of them. They come in handy for the few occasions when I need to look dressed up. My jewelry is all real. My 1980s Rolex is back from being overhauled- don't know the bottom line yet but I authorized up to $950. When the seals failed because I swam almost daily in chlorinated water for 3 summers without taking it in for maintenance (oops) it cost a whole heck of a lot more. I still love it and am looking forward to getting it back- I'm out of town now. My other extravagance is good boots- I'm wearing my Justins and I have a pair of Lucchese ostrich boots back home. Nothing is the latest and greatest- I just buy good classic things and wear them till they're worn out.

My everyday wardrobe: T-shirts from athletic events, jeans from the VF outlets or Marshall's, some stuff from Chico's (always the sale rack). I think DH and I spent a total of $400 on clothes this year but I spent $1,400 on jewelry (that was having one ring made with two family diamonds and a third I bought).

Last edited:
So, yes, I continue to be quite fashion conscious in ER, just not with designer duds.
DW is the same. She can package and coordinate. Keeps me on my toes. I always select high-end leather sandals for the formal events. Sometimes long-sleeved shirts just to show off. Toughest time is October in Vancouver: Sweaters and closed in shoes!

Last edited:
Totally unfashionable here, and linked to the thread in error...who knew 'bj bragging' would be about a card game? :blush:

Whew - my first thought was "phrasing".

My last purchase of apparel was an Akha tribe headdress. It was just too strange, and goes well with a collection of odd headgear. Pretty much this: Akha Tribe Headdress - Shab Antiques
a buck at a yardsale. Tommy done good by accident.

I start each day wearing sweats or leggings and the t-shirt I wore the day before. That's my "uniform" for my morning beach walk. Later, after I've showered, I change to put on shorts, crops, or jeans and a clean t-shirt.

Generic sneakers for the beach walk. The rest of the time - 99% - it's crocs flip-flops or fuzzy slippers (latter if it's cold and I'm at home).

The crops/t-shirt thing was also my uniform for work... My work space was tucked away in a development lab and it wasn't unusual to have to crawl behind, stand atop, my lab bench to run cable or ethernet connections. A dress would *not* have been practical.

I have a $7K custom bike but buy most of my clothes at Costco and REI. They look nice at bargain prices. I could afford expensive cloths and jewelry but I don't see any value in them. When I was working I wore suits. I bought nice looking suits in the $500 range never $1-2K suits.

I have looked at the REI website for about 2 minutes. I personally don't consider that stuff to be "bargain" :)

I have zero fashion sense. My DW gets me a couple of nice shirts each year for when we go have "fancy dinners" and such, but I am happy to wear t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops most of the year. If it's cold out, I will wear jeans (that I have owned for at least 10 years).

When I still had the Amex Platinum card, they would send out some magazine that was obviously marketed to the "upper echelon" of spenders and I would marvel and the items being hawked; they were obviously very expensive and was some of the ugliest stuff I have ever seen.

Clothes are not where my money is spent... But I have an affinity for watches, and cars. Both, I try to buy used and remake, but lately I have not had the time (on the car front).

Watch: I bought a used, broken Breitling Navitimer (that I verified by SN was legit, sent to Breathing for refurb. Perfect now and very nice. My wife bought me a new Omega Speedster Mark ii for 50th. More than i would have spent.

Car: Sold a Porsche Cayman to buy a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang when they came out and will keep it until.... Sold a 1970 Mach 1 when I went to college and regretted it ever since.

Everyone has vices! :flowers::dance:

Clothes are not where my money is spent... But I have an affinity for watches, and cars. Both, I try to buy used and remake, but lately I have not had the time (on the car front).

Watch: I bought a used, broken Breitling Navitimer (that I verified by SN was legit, sent to Breathing for refurb. Perfect now and very nice. My wife bought me a new Omega Speedster Mark ii for 50th. More than i would have spent.

Car: Sold a Porsche Cayman to buy a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang when they came out and will keep it until.... Sold a 1970 Mach 1 when I went to college and regretted it ever since.

Everyone has vices! :flowers::dance:

No doubt. I can't judge anyone on the way they spend money...I owned an airplane (and a boat, at the SAME TIME!) and as you probably know...they are called mistresses for a reason! :D

Do any of you have any high end fashions in your wardrobe?

Ha ha......no. I do need to update my wardrobe a little. The only clothes I have purchased over the last 10 years are super casual items like jeans, shorts etc. I need to have some better dress clothes in case a wild woman invites me to dinner.:cool:

Ha ha......no. I do need to update my wardrobe a little. The only clothes I have purchased over the last 10 years are super casual items like jeans, shorts etc. I need to have some better dress clothes in case a wild woman invites me to dinner.:cool:

Well, if it's a wild woman, then you needn't worry about clothes!

I wear pants sometimes. Does that count?

Pretty casual, with a summer wardrobe of cargo shorts, tees, gym trunks, bike shirts, and winter wardrobe of jeans, sweaters, sweatshirts. I can dress up a bit when necessary (some say I clean up nicely), but no high-end clothing. Shop mostly at Kohl's and Costco.

I have a Timex Ironman watch, a leftover from my jogging days, and a Fossil, with a dead battery. I wear neither...

Socks match pants, belt matches shoes. Danmar, you're my new fashion guru.

I guess it's not surprising to see most everyone shares an indifference to high fashion.

While I am clothingly challenged, the topic of how I'm the only one of this group to be retired came up. My LBYM answer fell on deaf ears.

I have my Movado knock off and a cubic zirconia pinky ring round here somewhere. Damn I'm having flashbacks to the 80's.

My idea of dressing up is climbing aboard my tractor. At least my wife calls it my $25,000 fashion accessory. Ha!

Have been wearing Levi's since I bought my first pair at age 15 (with $ from 1st job). Why change now? I love to thrift hunt, and find like new, used Levi's for $5 on senior day (35% off). Also Nike and Adidas jackets, $3.50. Tommy B. silk shirts, and Banana Republic shorts, $3. Leather bomber jackets for $7. Down filled LL Bean vests, $3.50. You have to hit a number of stores to find your size and decent selection, and shop off season, but I am a "junker", so that is part of the "hobby". I actually spend retail on shoes, (sometimes), whichever sneaker is on sale at Kohls. More than once, I have been out thrifting and my entire outfit is "pre-owned", except undies (have to draw the line somewhere).

Have been wearing Levi's since I bought my first pair at age 15 (with $ from 1st job). Why change now? I love to thrift hunt, and find like new, used Levi's for $5 on senior day (35% off). Also Nike and Adidas jackets, $3.50. Tommy B. silk shirts, and Banana Republic shorts, $3. Leather bomber jackets for $7. Down filled LL Bean vests, $3.50. You have to hit a number of stores to find your size and decent selection, and shop off season, but I am a "junker", so that is part of the "hobby". I actually spend retail on shoes, (sometimes), whichever sneaker is on sale at Kohls. More than once, I have been out thrifting and my entire outfit is "pre-owned", except undies (have to draw the line somewhere).

+1 (In the 1970s I used to work out at the 'Jewish Y' in Toronto, and actually overheard an 'older' Jewish lady advise another woman, "Never pay retail"...I have, for the most part, taken that to heart ever since.)

Virtually 100% of my t-shirts have a "Menards" logo on eh front. Bought for $6.99 with a $6.99 rebate.

My jeans, which used to be Levis, and now Sams brand, or Menards brand. They fit and wear as well r better than Levis.

Hooded sweatshirts in the winter. Sneakers nearly 100% of the time, unless I am wearing slippers of hunting boots.

Sometimes I spurge and get Carthearts, but mostly look-a-likes these days.

With a NW quickly approaching $5M, I could buy much better. I prefer to spend my money on more important things, like breast implants, liposuction and lingerie for the DGF...

Socks match pants, belt matches shoes. Danmar, you're my new fashion guru...
OK. I am going shopping for new socks today.

And belt too.

Purple-Pants-For-Men-xqe3xqkq24z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom