Are you fashion conscious (plus rambling trip story and BJ bragging)

I think we as women tend to judge others more by how they are dressed and present themselves... because we have felt that judgment and had it ingrained our whole lives. From our mothers, from the mean girls in grade school, cliques in high school, advertising, magazines, movies, etc. It's quite a barrage over a lifetime.

I don't think Amethyst is saying she thinks less of those that didn't dress for the occasion, but just that it would be nicer if they did. Part of the fun of getting done up is the event, and when others play along too that makes it more fun.

One is Arena Stage in D.C.; not exactly backwoods. We haven't been to an evening performance.

I do detect a bit of icy sarcasm in your post (Girdles? My mother - sadly, long gone - disapproved of them; said they kept you from relying on your own natural girdle of abdominal muscles). Nevertheless, I am disappointed not to have any nicely dressed people to look at. It was one of the things we used to enjoy about going out, and we are puzzled that people, in general, no longer seem to care how they look. If it was a huge amount of extra effort, I could understand, but it isn't. And it's not lack of money; many of these frumps are getting out of cars that cost 3X what ours did.

Maybe you are going to the wrong theaters if you are the only people dressed like that. DH goes to the Lyric Opera several times a season and reports tuxedos, suits, cardigans, and even a few gasp! clutch my pearls! jeans being worn by the men but he is able to enjoy the production anyway. The generation ahead of me wore girdles, gloves, and fedoras (not the same gender at the same time) when they left the house and smoked like chimneys. Times change.

I think we as women tend to judge others more by how they are dressed and present themselves...

I don't think Amethyst is saying she thinks less of those that didn't dress for the occasion, but just that it would be nicer if they did. Part of the fun of getting done up is the event, and when others play along too that makes it more fun.

If I said this about someone: "it's mainly oldpeople, but can't they dress up a little bit for a show in the city? ...it's a horrid sea of elastic waist slacks that are too short, pullover sweaters, and orthopedic walking shoes. Looks like early bird dinner at a Florida Denny' s." I wouldn't be complimenting them and I'd feel pretty judged if I were being described, but maybe that's just me. I do think the patrons at the evening shows are probably dressed up more, so maybe popping for higher priced tickets would be a solution if other people's attire is important to one.

I went to a wedding a few years ago all dressed up in a nice sparkly cleavage flattering top and a long black skirt and had to laugh when the groom's great-grandma in a wheelchair was wearing the same outfit with the top altered to fasten at the neck. Now that made me feel stylish! We both got a kick out of and made sure to get our picture taken together.

... it's not lack of money; many of these frumps are getting out of cars that cost 3X what ours did.
When one's body is out of shape, it is harder to find the clothes in which to look nice.

Just sayin'...

I think we as women tend to judge others more by how they are dressed and present themselves... because we have felt that judgment and had it ingrained our whole lives. From our mothers, from the mean girls in grade school, cliques in high school, advertising, magazines, movies, etc. It's quite a barrage over a lifetime.

When musical groups have dressed with some thought I enjoy the concert experience more. Doesn't mean the band members play or sing any better, but the experience is boosted when it looks like the group cared enough to look good for their audience. Flying in the 50's (according to photos) was special and passengers dressed accordingly - now it's a cattle car filled with people who obviously don't care.

As Red Green says; "we're all in this together" - when we the audience dress for comfort and not for show it makes the show a less noteworthy event: just a bunch of shlubs in the same room and some music happening.

Flying in the 50's (according to photos) was special and passengers dressed accordingly - now it's a cattle car filled with people who obviously don't care.

Or even the 60's and 70's. I'm sitting in a departure lounge as I type this. Man, what a bunch of slobs. What ever happened to class or style?

Or even the 60's and 70's. I'm sitting in a departure lounge as I type this. Man, what a bunch of slobs. What ever happened to class or style?

One of the differences, I believe, is that 'back when' flying was 'special'....now it's akin to catching a bus....and...if you've been to a bus terminal lately...........

Y'all make me want to take out my tux and look at it, if not to put it on.

Have not had a chance to use it since my daughter's wedding last year. The son said he was going to stay celibate. I guess I will have to go on a premium cruise if I want to use it.

Have not had a chance to use it since my daughter's wedding last year. The son said he was going to stay celibate. I guess I will have to go on a premium cruise if I want to use it.

Me too. Tell you what. Next time we Im down in Arizona we can dress up in our tuxes and go out for dinner? I will get to wear mine when we take the QM2 over.

Thanks for the invitation, but I am a recluse.

Maybe that's why I do not get to wear my tux often.

DH has worn his to the opera. He has two--one is almost 50 years old from a college glee club (now that's sonething that's changed over the years!) and one ordered from Overstock.com for DS's wedding, (about one-tenth the cost of DS's tux). He is a little too proud of the fact that both fit him nicely. I will say that DH likes to dress up but never notices what other people are wearing. Even his workout clothes are color-coordinated.:LOL:

Speaking of cruising, back 20 years ago, on a Royal Caribbean cruise which was not really high-end, I felt so underdressed in formal nights when many men were in tux and I only had a black dinner jacket.

I did not take another cruise until last year on a Celebrity ship. The dress code already got more relaxed, and yet the passengers were mostly 50s or older.

I will say that DH likes to dress up but never notices what other people are wearing. Even his workout clothes are color-coordinated.:LOL:
I have only one pair of jeans, preferring to wear khaki long pants. I am not at all dress-conscious, but for the right occasions it is fun to dress up.

Ah, when the men are all suited up, the women are dressed nicely, and the decor is nice, you mill about with a drink in hand, having nice chit chats...

Then, you get up there with your wife and the in-laws, and to make a toast.

Makes me want to have another daughter to marry off. :)

Just kidding. It's not the cost of the wedding, but the trouble of raising a daughter to that point. I don't even want to remember the trouble I went through.

Last edited:
DH has worn his to the opera. He has two--one is almost 50 years old from a college glee club...
Forgot to add, it's very impressive that he can still fit in a suit from college days.

There's no way I can fit in my wedding suit, even though I am only of a 24 BMI now.

That's a shame, because I had that suit custom made by a tailor in Scottsdale. I could not buy anything off the rack then, being so skinny.

DH has worn his to the opera. He has two--one is almost 50 years old from a college glee club (now that's sonething that's changed over the years!) and one ordered from Overstock.com for DS's wedding, (about one-tenth the cost of DS's tux). He is a little too proud of the fact that both fit him nicely. I will say that DH likes to dress up but never notices what other people are wearing. Even his workout clothes are color-coordinated.:LOL:
Good for him. I tried to wear an older tux to my daughters wedding last year. No way, really out of style. The pants looked like clown pants. Current styles are much slimmer.

Good for him. I tried to wear an older tux to my daughters wedding last year. No way, really out of style. The pants looked like clown pants. Current styles are much slimmer.

You are a little younger than DH, I believe--his old tux has a somewhat narrow shawl collar and pretty narrow trousers so he wouldn't stand out too much in it. Unless he wears his old green bucks on his feet with it.

I see young men downtown wearing really tight suits for work these days--yes, styles are certainly slimmer! Still, a man in a well-cut, nicely fitting suit is a pleasure to behold.

Last edited:
When one's body is out of shape, it is harder to find the clothes in which to look nice.

Just sayin'...
I hate to say this but you are wrong . There are so many designers that tailor their clothes to heavier women . I have been at the JJill store many times and a much larger woman will come in and she looks fabulous .It's not the size it is the clothes.

I hate to say this but you are wrong . There are so many designers that tailor their clothes to heavier women . I have been at the JJill store many times and a much larger woman will come in and she looks fabulous .It's not the size it is the clothes.

Sure. "Clothes make the man", as they say.

A heavy man would look far better in a nice suit than in jeans and T-shirt. It just costs more money to look nice, while the trim-and-fit youngsters can get away with cheaper clothing, or ahem, little of it.

Last edited:
Yes, I get that, but boy, pretty bad.
Yes I expect to hear a Walmart shoppers announcement on the PA system. Of course being crammed into a seat with inadequate legroom might also be a factor. Try to change your shoes when your knees are at your ears!

I see young men downtown wearing really tight suits for work these days--yes, styles are certainly slimmer! Still, a man in a well-cut, nicely fitting suit is a pleasure to behold.

I find new "Euro cut" suits uncomfortable. Also look too short to me. Have to fight with the tailor to make them fit me the way I like. Agree that a man in a good suit looks his best. My DW always says so even though I hardly ever wear one.

High end for me is Walmart...on sale. That's only for socks and underwear and clothes I can't find at a thrift store. If I can't wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt or jeans and a hoodie then I don't go to the place where those aren't acceptable.

...I see young men downtown wearing really tight suits for work these days--yes, styles are certainly slimmer! Still, a man in a well-cut, nicely fitting suit is a pleasure to behold.

I find new "Euro cut" suits uncomfortable. Also look too short to me...

When my wife's niece got married a couple of years ago, the groom's family came from France. His brothers wore impossibly tight clothes. They were very fit and trim, but the clothes looked painful to me. And yes, the pants were way too short. And they really stood out among the guests with what they were wearing.

I guess that makes me a geezer, to want to wear looser clothes.

PS. I forgot that my son's clothes are almost the same. Well, as long as the youngsters feel comfortable in their clothes and I in mine, who's to say what's right?

PPS. Here's a quote from Mark Twain on this subject.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” -- Mark Twain

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom