Auto brand reliability

Well I'll admit, I like to buy cars that were "made in the USA". I have 3 vehicles at time. My only GM vehicle was built in Bowling Green KY :cool: and my two Toyotas were built in San Antonio Texas. (even though, like most vehicles, many of the parts were made in other countries) All have been very reliable.

I have finally given up on buying any American car built by one of the "Big Three". Have had great experiences with American made trucks/truck based vehicles (2001 Suburban just turned 285,000 miles old, 2005 Ford pick-em-up has been trouble free for 85,000 miles), but my car (also built in Bowling Green KY) has ben nothing but one problem after another (rear end replaced due to manufacturer using incorrect fluid, new roof due to de-lamination, etc.etc.) to the point where I see no reason to EVER make the mistake of buying another car built by the "Big Three".

Love the trucks, however.....

I have finally given up on buying any American car built by one of the "Big Three". Have had great experiences with American made trucks/truck based vehicles (2001 Suburban just turned 285,000 miles old, 2005 Ford pick-em-up has been trouble free for 85,000 miles), but my car (also built in Bowling Green KY) has ben nothing but one problem after another (rear end replaced due to manufacturer using incorrect fluid, new roof due to de-lamination, etc.etc.) to the point where I see no reason to EVER make the mistake of buying another car built by the "Big Three".

Love the trucks, however.....

Our 2004 Explorer is a POS... lots of problems and even the costs are not cheap...

Had the rear bearings replaced at $1800.... then find out that there are another set back there... another $600..

From bearings went out and cost $300 plus for the part... forget what I paid in total....

Had some sensor go out in the engine and it was hard for them to find the problem... after them having to take off the manifolds... put in a new one, cost $700...

The power steering reservoir rusted out... forget how much it cost... but not cheap...

The paint is coming off the hood... the back panel on the lift gate has now cracked twice (it was replaced once).... and the alarm will go off just because it wants to....

And these are just the big problems...

Nope, I don't think they make a good truck....

One of the problems with reliability is that most people view it as a one off... IOW, my car lasted 16 years etc. etc... I am happy... and I actually had a good Chevy for over 10 years..

Oh yeah, I totally know these are one-off examples. I would never, ever buy a new Ford but back when my wife just moved here from Taiwan and needed a cheap car to learn on (she never drove a car in Taiwan) the deal we got on the Taurus at the auction was too good to pass up. And on my Dodge, I've had several different mechanics comment about that being a very good year for Dodge trucks.

RENAULT-Rarely Ever Nice And Usually Loadsa Trouble
RENAULT-Retarded Engine, No Acceleration, Ugly Lump of Trash

You asked...:rolleyes:

You just made that up didn't you.;)

The official version (approved by the carmakers) is Really Excellent Neat And Unbelievably Lovely Technology:D

You just made that up didn't you.;)

The official version (approved by the carmakers) is Really Excellent Neat And Unbelievably Lovely Technology:D
I'm not that clever. I just entered "Renault acronym" in Google and voila... :greetings10:

+1 was also surprised about their reliability and test scores. Personally, I am partial to Hondas ever since my son was broadsided in his Civic by a Camry who was fleeing the police at 80+ MPH. I suspect in many other cars he would have been killed.

We have a 2007 Mazda 5 at 85K miles and nothing has gone wrong. The handling and steering are superb on this car. I just wish some reliable Japanese brand could get Audi-like interiors and handle like a Mazda and then I would have found my perfect vehicle.

Ford has greatly improved their quality & engineered designs. We have two Escapes, while may not be indicative of their entire line, they fit our needs well. We looked at GM & Chrysler, but I believe their engineering has been to lessen the cost & weight of their cars.
I continue to drive 2 old MB's with a total of 500K miles. I do all of the maint so that cost is only parts.
I too, agree it would be great to see a Detroit comeback.

After 3 generations of being only a GM family, my dad bought a Toyota as his last car when he was in mid 70s. Then I finally bought a Subaru after a few GMs. It is too bad. I love to work on GMs, but the politics (government owned) and unreliability drove me mad. I love the GM engines and trannies, it is all the other stuff (alternators, interior, etc.) that is lousy.

I had a Saturn and liked it a lot. Would have stuck with it, then the suits at GM screwed it up.

I love the Subaru. I frequently drive by the SIA plant in Indiana and always do a tail wag to acknowledge my baby's birthplace. Subbies are fun because they are good cars, and not the same old Honda or Toyota everyone else has.

GM became damaged goods when they stubbornly tried to convert a gas engine into a high compression diesel. They failed miserably with broken cranks, connecting rods and more. Later the using one divisions engine in a "higher" level division car without admitting to do so, until later.

Shame, but its all history now.

I love the Subaru. I frequently drive by the SIA plant in Indiana and always do a tail wag to acknowledge my baby's birthplace. Subbies are fun because they are good cars, and not the same old Honda or Toyota everyone else has.

DW has a 2006 Forester, and its a nice vehicle, however, the original dealer I bought it from moved a good distance away. A year or two later, another Subby dealership moved in reasonably nearby, but within 2 years it moved to another locale further away. So we are left with having to drive too far (at least for me) to get to either of the two remaining dealerships in the area. Maybe with more sales this will change, but until that happens, I will probably pass on buying another Subaru.

GM became damaged goods when they stubbornly tried to convert a gas engine into a high compression diesel. They failed miserably with broken cranks, connecting rods and more. Later the using one divisions engine in a "higher" level division car without admitting to do so, until later.

Shame, but its all history now.

Yea, it's hard to live that down, but there are so many

Though I currently have a Prius, my previous three vehicles were Chevies. My last car was a truck; a Silverado, owned 13 years and 115k miles with no repairs. The previous pickup ate two starters, but otherwise no problems. So, not bad, in my n=1 experience.

As always, YMMV...

GM trucks have always been reliable for the most part. it was just all those OTHER GM cars they didn't put quality into........:facepalm:

BMW: Bring My Wallet...........:)

I own a RENAULT

Havent heard a funny one on this, so must be a good car:)
Years ago on the NPR show Car Talk, somebody called who had a litany of problems with his Renault Fuego. The response went something like this:

Magliozzi brothers: "Do you have a hardware store nearby?"

Caller: "Yes"

Magliozzi brothers: "OK. This is what you have to do. Walk down to your hardware store and buy one of those "For Sale By Owner" signs and put it in your car. That'll fix your problems."

DW has a 2006 Forester, and its a nice vehicle, however, the original dealer I bought it from moved a good distance away. A year or two later, another Subby dealership moved in reasonably nearby, but within 2 years it moved to another locale further away. So we are left with having to drive too far (at least for me) to get to either of the two remaining dealerships in the area. Maybe with more sales this will change, but until that happens, I will probably pass on buying another Subaru.

Yes. This is the downside to being different. You are correct about that. It can become a problem. You don't get this problem with Toyota!

Even though I'm in the South, our small metro area is big enough to have three Subaru dealers in a small (15 miles) radius. We also have a few independents who specialize.

We are driving three GM vehicles:

1. 1995 GMC K1500 4X4 with 190,000 miles
2. 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier with 177,000 miles
3. 2001 Buick Lesabre wit 218,000 miles

GM cars break, but there are plenty of independent GM mechanics and parts available at a reasonable cost. Some parts vendors specialize in parts for "classic" pickups. Where we live the cost of a tag is based on the vehicle value. The cost bottoms out when the vehicle is ten years old.

We are familiar with new cars because we rent full-size current year cars for our road trips about four times a year. Unlimited free mileage, of course.

It pains me to say that we will not buy another Goverment Motors car.

Back
Top Bottom