Baseball 2015

Rangers and Astros both won those opening road games without their best starter while their opponents did use their best starter. Odds go thru the roof in that scenario for Rangers and Astros to win, especially a short 5 game series.

Yes, it looks real bad for Toronto.

I wore a Ranger shirt yesterday and they won so I wore it again today. They won again. I'm wearing it again on Sunday and I'm not washing it until they lose.

Go Rangers. They "should" beat Toronto now, but . . . they could choke, too. DFW is really football country, however we can back a winner. I have nothing particular against Toronto, just rooting for the Rangers. Hope Betltre can play from now on.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Despite the home plate umpire needing glasses (wide strike zone), Lackey just out pitched Lester in Cards/Cubs game 1.

That was a good game in StL, no complaints from me.

I took the Sling leap too, it worked well but acted flaky just before the TBS broadcast started (an unneeded "uh-oh!" moment).

I took the Sling leap too, it worked well but acted flaky just before the TBS broadcast started (an unneeded "uh-oh!" moment).

I was able to watch the game via Sling and syncing to my radio with my radio gadget. The broadcast and radio is way off (radio about 45 seconds faster), but with the gadget I was able to get the syncing going okay.

Disappointing result for us Cubs fans, but they played a good game. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I was able to watch the game via Sling and syncing to my radio with my radio gadget. The broadcast and radio is way off (radio about 45 seconds faster), but with the gadget I was able to get the syncing going okay.

I've had trouble finding radio stations that cover the games. Some of them listed on the internet weren't broadcasting the game, just their regular programming. How do I find a way to tune in (preferably over the internet)?

I don't watch/listen during the regular season, once in a while if they are OTA, so I don't have a 'system' down.

-ERD50

Disappointing result for us Cubs fans, but they played a good game. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I've had trouble finding radio stations that cover the games. Some of them listed on the internet weren't broadcasting the game, just their regular programming. How do I find a way to tune in (preferably over the internet)?

I don't watch/listen during the regular season, once in a while if they are OTA, so I don't have a 'system' down.

-ERD50

I think game #2 is do or die for the Cubs. If they go down 0-2, I'd say that's too big a hole to dig out from and wait til next year. Teams have come back in the past, but difficult.

As for listening to games on the internet, I think there are restrictions played by MLB to disallow internet broadcasts. Of if you don't have a local OTA radio broadcast, you may be out of luck. Unlike football, where I've listened to games over the internet.

If I had to choose either only TV or radio broadcast, I'd choose radio as the play by play is just so much more interesting.

Last edited:
As for listening to games on the internet, I think there are restrictions played by MLB to disallow internet broadcasts. Of if you don't have a local OTA radio broadcast, you may be out of luck. ...

Thanks, I'll have to play with some of my AM radios (most likely places to find sports here, I think). It's a little tough to get good AM reception in the house for some reason, my car radio seems to do better.

Now I can just see me out in the driveway, car radio on, and MLB 'gameday' on the laptop. :) I've used 'gameday' the last two games, it gives the play by play stats and some animation at no charge. Along with radio, that's not too bad for a casual and very occasional sports watcher like me.

-ERD50

Thanks, I'll have to play with some of my AM radios (most likely places to find sports here, I think). It's a little tough to get good AM reception in the house for some reason, my car radio seems to do better.

Now I can just see me out in the driveway, car radio on, and MLB 'gameday' on the laptop. :) I've used 'gameday' the last two games, it gives the play by play stats and some animation at no charge. Along with radio, that's not too bad for a casual and very occasional sports watcher like me.

-ERD50

When I was a kid, my brother and I would use something that went by the brand Select-A-ntenna which helped boost stations reception. This was great for listening to far away ball games. We chipped in to buy the antenna for about $18 which for us then was a lot. Eventually, I let him keep that one and bought another for myself. The type of antenna is a loop antenna...

Review Select-A-Tenna vs. Terk AM Advantage - RadioIntel.com

Didn't mean to digress from the thread topic (Baseball 2015). But trying to pick up a game on OTA radio brings back memories when there were no such things as sports packages or streamed broadcasts.

Back on topic, now I'm already thinking, if the Cubs lose game 2 maybe they still have a chance if they pitch Arrietta more than once (start and relief appearances) with 3 games left.

I thought most of the games were on ESPN radio

I haven't listened to ESPN radio for the games. But would the announcers be the home team announcers? I'd think probably not?

I'm actually going to miss the Cubs/Cards game #2 this afternoon. :( Got a grade school reunion to go to. Hopefully I'll catch the end at the restaurant.

Back on topic, now I'm already thinking, if the Cubs lose game 2 maybe they still have a chance if they pitch Arrietta more than once (start and relief appearances) with 3 games left.

It ain't over till it's over! :)

What kind of odds are the betting sites giving? Clearly, the Cards are going to be very tough to beat, but I wonder what the money is saying about it (or do people bet based on loyalty?).

-ERD50

It ain't over till it's over! :)

What kind of odds are the betting sites giving? Clearly, the Cards are going to be very tough to beat, but I wonder what the money is saying about it (or do people bet based on loyalty?).

-ERD50

Game two is a critical game for both teams. I suppose every game is critical.

I think game one exposed the major weakness of the Cubs. That is, their relief pitching. Maddon left Lester (who only has a few hits all season) to bat with the tying run in scoring position. If the Cubs had a decent bullpen, the no-brainer would've been to pinch hit. Pedro Strop saves his worse games for the Cards :facepalm:.

Another good one tonight!

It's comforting to see that "small ball" still wins games at Busch. Even if the Cards aren't the ones playing it. :)

Sling dropped the first two outs of the top of the 8th here. AtBat app to the rescue!

Another good one tonight! ...

Indeed! I had run out to take care of some family business, but along the way, someone said "2nd inning, Cubs are losing". :( I'm figuring, OK, the Cardinals are an awesome team, this is just how it is going to go.

By the time I got home, Cubs had scored 6 runs! Then I watched (mlb gameday - the 'animated' live updates), and listened (ESPN AM 1000 in Chicago OTA - thanks to tips in this forum - the combo of animation and radio was pretty good), as Cards scored more points, and remembered how quickly a game can turn. Was thrilled with that last out to clinch it.

Had to give my son-in-law a ribbing - he drove down to St Louis for the game on Friday (he has friends that are STL fans, so they had tickets to share), but he couldn't make today's game. But he has tickets for the Monday game at Wrigley. So I told him, hmmmm, Cubs lose when you are there, if they are down on Monday, you need to leave the stadium!

It's been fun.

-ERD50

Didn't watch the game as was at my grade school reunion. Listened to the first inning and thought "Uh oh, leave off homer by Cards". Got got back and saw the highlights online. The small ball was a thing of beauty (my Cubs fan bias of course).

What a difference a game makes. Now the Cards gotta figure out how to beat Arrieta to not go down 2-1.

There's an article I saw this morning that brought a memory and smile to my face. It was a reference to Don Zimmer by Maddon, discussing "small ball". Popeye!

Maddon said, "I mean, this is all Don Zimmer stuff out here. This is all Zim". Whoosh - back to the 80s. :)

I'd post a pointer to the article if I knew how to do that from within the AtBat app on my iTouch.

We'll see what happens next of course, 5pm tonight, Central Wrigley Time.

Last edited:
Hoping you're wrong (at least today) Big_Hitter but with the way the Royals have been playing I'm officially nervous. The good news is I got the dog walked early and I can relax and watch the games. One of ER's many benefits.

Whoever makes it, we can only hope for excitement like last year.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.

Back
Top Bottom