Baseball 2015

This Cubs fan wanted to play the Dodgers in the NLCS because the Mets' starting rotation is deep and they're (marginally) better offensively. The Cubs' advantage in this series is that 1-8 (or 1-7 and 9) offensively they are dangerous unless Ross is catching. The Mets are really only going to hurt you 1-4, though the 5 spot catcher hit a bomb last night. Their bottom order guys might get on base, but only 1-4 are really going to drive them in.

Meanwhile, the Mets can run three guys out there who are better than the Cubs #2, and only if Arrieta is really on is he better than their top three. The Arrieta that pitched game 3 against STL isn't better than their guys.

I think the Cubs are going to struggle to score runs this series as they did in most of the games against the Mets that they won in the regular season. The difference is where the Mets were putting up 0s and 1s when they played the Cubs early in the year, they're putting up 3s and 4s now.

Thus, I would predict a Mets series win, and I'm not sure it'll get to seven games. In the post season, pitching and defense usually win out, and I think pitching is strongly in the Mets' favor.

Was a bad sign in game #1 seeing 3 starting players in the Cubs in ski masks and not able to handle the cold. :facepalm:. If the Cubs win game two with Arrieta, I can easily see them winning 2 out of 3 at Wrigley. Then be up 3-2 with 2 game left in NY. If they lose game #2, to win the next 4 out of 5 is a tall task.

Who knows? By virtue of not having to go through a full 5-game NLDS, the Cubs had a slightly longer layoff than the Mets. Although once you get to be at that level of athlete, it probably wouldn't matter that much.

Game 2 will be especially interesting!

Agree with you completely kcowan. The miscommunication by the Jays was bizarre. That gave the Royals a tiny opening and they certainly took advantage of it.

Seems like there ought to be a black swan metaphor in there somewhere.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.

You have to be feeling pretty good today if you're a fan of one of the teams with the home field advantage.

Me? I have a doctor's appointment this morning (true).

"Well, Doc, it's like this..."

Another Cubs loss and that is it for me this season. Enough said!

This Cubs fan wanted to play the Dodgers in the NLCS because the Mets' starting rotation is deep and they're (marginally) better offensively. The Cubs' advantage in this series is that 1-8 (or 1-7 and 9) offensively they are dangerous unless Ross is catching. The Mets are really only going to hurt you 1-4, though the 5 spot catcher hit a bomb last night. Their bottom order guys might get on base, but only 1-4 are really going to drive them in.

Meanwhile, the Mets can run three guys out there who are better than the Cubs #2, and only if Arrieta is really on is he better than their top three. The Arrieta that pitched game 3 against STL isn't better than their guys.

I think the Cubs are going to struggle to score runs this series as they did in most of the games against the Mets that they won in the regular season. The difference is where the Mets were putting up 0s and 1s when they played the Cubs early in the year, they're putting up 3s and 4s now.

Thus, I would predict a Mets series win, and I'm not sure it'll get to seven games. In the post season, pitching and defense usually win out, and I think pitching is strongly in the Mets' favor.

You are right on (at least for the first 2 games already played) about the series. I mistakenly thought the Cubs would match up better with the Mets than the two headed monsters of the Dodgers. Be careful what you wish for.

Now for a decent chance the Cubs have to sweep at Wrigley (they did win 3 in a row against the Cards, one in St. Louis, then 2 in Chicago). At the very least win 2 out of 3 to push the series back to New York to not have the Mets clinch advancing to the world series at Wrigley :facepalm:.

How many days until pre-season starts? :facepalm:

You are right on (at least for the first 2 games already played) about the series. I mistakenly thought the Cubs would match up better with the Mets than the two headed monsters of the Dodgers. Be careful what you wish for.

Now for a decent chance the Cubs have to sweep at Wrigley (they did win 3 in a row against the Cards, one in St. Louis, then 2 in Chicago). At the very least win 2 out of 3 to push the series back to New York to not have the Mets clinch advancing to the world series at Wrigley :facepalm:.

How many days until pre-season starts? :facepalm:

Just remember they're a year ahead and didn't make a single move at the deadline to try to win now. They're a flawed team in a lot of ways that's outperformed expectations. Enjoy the ride wherever it goes this year; the future is bright!

Just remember they're a year ahead and didn't make a single move at the deadline to try to win now. They're a flawed team in a lot of ways that's outperformed expectations. Enjoy the ride wherever it goes this year; the future is bright!

Yeah. Looking back at the Cubs this season, just making the playoffs this year would have been a huge accomplishment as this was the first year in a long time the organization decided to "compete". (The overachieving reminds me a lot of the 1984 Cubs).

Yet, at the same time, the more things change the more things stay the same. The Cubbies finally got past the Cards (at least this year), but looks like will fall to the Amazing Mets... again :blush:.

Yep! Had they lost the game to the Pirates, we'd all we saying what a good year they had, that they're right on schedule and would be looking forward to a bright future for them. But now that they're in the NLCS, the slim hope that they could "get lucky," "catch some breaks," etc., drives us to hope for a miracle.

They've been a ball to follow this year and losing this series, if they do, isn't going to be a bummer for me.

I've been listening to Steve Goodman's "A dying Cub fan's last request" almost daily!

As the late Yogi said, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

If the Cubs win on Tue, then they are only down 2-1. - very possible

If the Cubs then win on Wed, then the series is tied. - possible

Can the Cubs win three in a row at Wrigley? - possible

But, can the Cubs win the next 4 out of 5 games? possible but unlikely

Gotta play the games out.

Last edited:

I've been listening to Steve Goodman's "A dying Cub fan's last request" almost daily!

Well, heck, we need some links!

The released version, from "Affordable Art"

and an interesting one from an interview (I have this as part of a DVD). Though here, he is showing signs of his battle with leukemia - his normal stage presence would be doing this song with a ton of energy, just bouncing around the stage:

-ERD50

Jays certainly proved they are not dead yet. What a night. Baseball, football and an election.

Chance of rain tonight at Wrigley to determine if the NLCS is really a series or time for the Cubbies to hang the surrender flag :facepalm:.

Makes me ask now, has a playoff game ever been called early with a team winning? If I was on the losing end due to rain, I'd cry bloody murder.

KC 14, Toronto 2 - Sounds more like a football score.

I happened to be in attendance at Wrigley one year for a doubleheader between the Cubs and the Cards. Several friends and I were seated in the "catwalk" behind left field (I think it was the designated "no alcohol" area).

During the first game, these guys in ML uniforms unloaded from a bus behind us, visible on the street. What was happening is that they were preparing to film a key scene from the upcoming movie "Rookie Of The Year". The director, with a megaphone, explained to the crowd what was up, a brief synopsis of the plot and scene, and what we were supposed to do. We complied, of course. Great fun!

The opposing "team"? The New York Mets! :)

Wow, what's that Murphy guy been drinking?

I'll go out on a limb and predict a team color of the World Series winner will be blue.

Easily missed highlight from the Cubs game, tonight. When Wright unbuckled his belt to clean out the dirt after a pickoff attempt the organist started playing "I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby". Don't know why the TBS broadcasters didn't point that out. ;)

KC 14, Toronto 2 - Sounds more like a football score.

Not in KC it doesn't! Football means a much lower score in this city.;)

Was there in person to witness the spectacular drubbing the Jays took. Always nervous when the knuckleballer is pitching. Dickey was definitely not on tonight.

I'm surprised I didn't see posts about last night's Cubs/Mets yet. I even did the "clear cache" business (the e-r.org equivalent of rubbing your eyes).

Over here, it's definitely a disappointment. I'll be watching tonight and remember what the Red Sox pulled off in '04, but the fact is it's not looking good. There's an understatement for you!

I'm surprised I didn't see posts about last night's Cubs/Mets yet. I even did the "clear cache" business (the e-r.org equivalent of rubbing your eyes).

Over here, it's definitely a disappointment. I'll be watching tonight and remember what the Red Sox pulled off in '04, but the fact is it's not looking good. There's an understatement for you!

Yes, I was out at a dinner, it was up on screens there, but the game did not have my undivided attention. But from what I saw, the Cubs just were not playing well. So while the mathematical possibility still exists, I can't see any rationale for holding out hope, the Mets are simply outplaying them by a significant margin.

Well, even assuming this goes as expected, it was a great season for the Cubbies! What would Ernie rhyme with "2016"? :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
I suppose Mr. Cub would have that great smile and high hopes for the future!

And if I'm still kicking by then, so will I along with all the diehards. ;)

Cubs fan here but the Mets are hot and the Cubs are not. Hopeful for the future. The trick is to be good enough to get a ticket to the dance (playoffs) and then see who is hot at the time.
We have not had tickets in the past and hopeful we will have some going forward. Do need some pitching in the off season.

The Cubs didn't just lose, they lost in their typical embarrassing fashion giving up the lead and decisive run on a dropped third strike that would have ended the inning.

Looks like the home run barrage against the Cards made the Cubs forget how to play small ball as all they seem to do is try and swing for the long ball.

As much as I hate to say, they just got outplayed by the Mets.

Yet, the Jack Brickhouse in me still says, they still have a slight chance. If somehow they win tonight, then Thursday Lester could pitch a great game. Then game 5, Arrietta could pitch a great game to even the series. Then anything goes in a game 7.

Of course, the most challenging thing for them now is to hit a darn change up :facepalm:.

Back
Top Bottom