best homepage website?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have msn, but they are going to charge for it in the near future. I was wondering what free webpage most are using? things like yahoo, and whatever is available. I have broadband high speed with a company and msn premium was included in the package, but now is being excluded and if you want to stay with msn it would be an additional fee. any suggestions?

Frank, I think to each his own. Just decide what page you want to see when your browser opens. Yahoo, Google, weather.com, cnn, your netmail portal, your personal homepage (if you have one) . . . the list is almost endless. I use yahoo.com.

I was looking for something with a lot of options and that has been around for a long time. I hate it when you have to change sites and email. it takes so much time to update everything and when you have to do every couple years its a pain. looking for options like weather, favorites list, email, security, mostly basic stuff. does yahoo have these options?

(edit - I may have misread the OP - I thought he meant a personal homepage - a website that he constructs for others to view, I guess he just meant the default page the browser opens. I keep mine blank, so I can open a new window/tab very fast, but usually have a customized google news page (igoogle would be a version of this, with more options) open as my basic 'landing page' )

Try:

Learn more about Google Sites

I've used it to put a few things up that I wanted to share with a group for a while, haven't used it with anything long term, but it seemed OK. It plays nice with google docs, which I find very useful. I use google docs with my hobby club (sign up sheets, etc), you can put up a spreadsheet, send out a private link, and people can get in and edit it. It saves the problem of passing around a document and trying to get everything coordinated. A backup of every edit is kept automatically, so if someone hoses something, you can recover.

You need to create a google account, no big deal. Just check your profile, if you want to remain anonymous, it might display your profile name, so use something generic if you prefer.

There might be better options, but this is free and seems OK to me.

-ERD50

There is no "best", other than the one that makes sense to you.

While I use Yahoo (with news/financial feeds), I would recommend that you look at the one's already mentioned and "test drive" them.

I like my.yahoo. My e-mail is through them and I've been using it for years. You can add all kinds of RSS and news feeds and even have several pages, say one for sports, one for financial or whatever. I'm sure others are similar, but never found a reason to change.

I like my.yahoo. My e-mail is through them and I've been using it for years. You can add all kinds of RSS and news feeds and even have several pages, say one for sports, one for financial or whatever. I'm sure others are similar, but never found a reason to change.

I use Yahoo because I am lazy and other reasons given above.

If I were even more fixated on ER than I am now, I guess I'd set my homepage to Firecalc :)

However, as I don't have a completely one-track mind, like others here, I use iGoogle. Being able to have the RSS feeds for the blogs I follow on the page alongside news, weather for localities I choose, etc works well for me.

My favorite home page is Firefox startup as a blank page.
Depending on my mood, I'll start with the weather page, then play one or two tunes off youtube -from my favorites list-

Often an Aviation web site - occasionally look at a news website. Then either an automotive engineering site, and lately skating forums. Do log on here once or twice.

I change my homepage every few months for variety.

Really, all I care about is:

(1) Is the homepage unusually reliable, and virtually never down?
(2) Does the homepage load quickly?
(3) Is the homepage annoying?

I don't really care what is ON the homepage, other than a few news headlines. Right now I am using cnn.com, but I am beginning to think it is annoying due to ads/popups. I don't think it is ever down, though.

Last edited:
iGoogle.

I used to use Yahoo but those yahoos kept changing things and dropping things so I switched over to Google. I've quit using my yahoo email accounts and stick with gmail. I also like their calendar and its reminders pop up on my iGoogle page.

Another good thing about My Yahoo is very few ads. Best part is the few ads are in modules which can be paced on the bottom of the page out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom