Big Purchase + low risk taker = high anxiety

If you have had a house built before, you know the ropes and this should be pretty easy.

Since I got the permit for my septic, about 3 years ago, the county has changed the requirements for a septic system extensively. The new systems are costing at least double what mine did - from under $10k to over $20k. You might want to talk to the government folks who do these permits and make sure you are aware of changes coming down the road.

Is the lot plotted out or does a new survey need to be done?

Be sure to buy Title Insurance.

I purchased a lake lot at the end of the road. After all the closings were done the neighbor tried to have the road closed to my lot.

6 months, 3 court hearings, and $20,000 later all was settled in my favor.
Luckily the title insurance company paid all of the bills.

The well and septic is a complete mystery to me but again, how bad could it be if others there had to do the same? Does that make any sense? Has anyone else had to go through the well and septic process? We've always had city water and sewer.

I've gone through both a well and septic, there are a lot of variables involved in both that can affect the install cost. Talking with your neighbors should give you a pretty good idea of what it will take. I had the perc test done for the septic as a condition of sale. They test the soil to make sure it drains adequately, I think it cost in the $300 range. I have a septic at my current house, the builder included the cost of it in the total house cost. Make sure they install some ground level access ports for the septic tank so you won't have to dig it up every time the tank needs draining or the filter needs cleaning.

Is the lot plotted out or does a new survey need to be done?
Be sure to buy Title Insurance.
I purchased a lake lot at the end of the road. After all the closings were done the neighbor tried to have the road closed to my lot.
6 months, 3 court hearings, and $20,000 later all was settled in my favor.
Luckily the title insurance company paid all of the bills.

Yikes! That sounds like a real mess. Ours is a separate lot with it's own tax key # but the contract is subject to my review of the survey, which the seller is having updated this week.

I've gone through both a well and septic, there are a lot of variables involved in both that can affect the install cost. Talking with your neighbors should give you a pretty good idea of what it will take. I had the perc test done for the septic as a condition of sale. They test the soil to make sure it drains adequately, I think it cost in the $300 range. I have a septic at my current house, the builder included the cost of it in the total house cost. Make sure they install some ground level access ports for the septic tank so you won't have to dig it up every time the tank needs draining or the filter needs cleaning.

Our purchase is also contingent on the perc test so hopefully it'll come out favorably. Great advice on the ground level access. I'll add that to my growing list of things to address during the process. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom