Born 1930 - 1979?

I am neither a boomer (perish the thought) nor a pre-boomer. However, I do have two grade school age kids. I resent twaddle like the OP's chain email because it is an attack on parenting.

Yep, my kids have a different childhood than I did and are being raised somewhat differently than I was. It happens every generation.

Twaddle is right...

However, I had nothing to do with being born a boomer! :LOL:

Besides, trying to pigeonhole 78.3M people, born over an 18-yr period, is absurd...

Besides, trying to pigeonhole 78.3M people, born over an 18-yr period, is absurd...

Agreed. And we are all ****ing special individuals, every one of us...

Bucky Covington....born in 1977. He never lived in that "different world" he sings about, it was gone before he arrived. The cars in the barn, the b/w television, etc, pre date him by a good twenty years.

He sure looks better after getting his teeth fixed. Bucky was a real snaggletooth when he was on Idol.

I'm just really burned out on the "How much better things were in them olden days" stories, because my relatives in their 80s can't seem to get beyond their selective views of the past, even though they clearly enjoy modern conveniences such as email, computers and small inexpensive digital cameras. Thus I am the constant recipient of patronizing "see how things were so much better then" chain emails that are usually nonsensical.

Miraculously, my Dad (who is in his early 80s) does not suffer from this disease at all and seems to live and relish the present. And he doesn't pass along chain emails either. So hopefully I won't fall into the trap.

DS is outside anytime the weather permits and sometimes when it does not. We are blessed to live in an isolated housing development with several children his age to play with. He has worn out tires on his bicycle, climbed trees, hunted toads, he is really enjoying life! I wish I had some of his energy.

I'm just really burned out on the "How much better things were in them olden days" stories, because my relatives in their 80s can't seem to get beyond their selective views of the past, even though they clearly enjoy modern conveniences such as email, computers and small inexpensive digital cameras. .....

Things have never been better, IIRC, IMHO, YMMV:flowers:

I'm progressive on most things. I've been an early adopter of tech since the early 80's. My children grew up in a different world than their parents. I went out and roamed as a child. For my kids, activities were planned and we drove them because of distance to playing fields.

We shared our values with them, while embracing their music, etc. It seems funny that they enjoy many types of music now, including the best of our era.

Our days were far from ideal. Everything can be improved, and the following generations get their their chances to make a better mark on history.

And I think what really gets me about that email forward is that it is pigeonholing all the people born between 1930 and 1979 into having a shared childhood. That long long long list of golden memories just don't apply across the board. But it just keeps getting forwarded.

And I think what really gets me about that email forward is that it is pigeonholing all the people born between 1930 and 1979 into having a shared childhood. That long long long list of golden memories just don't apply across the board. But it just keeps getting forwarded.

I agree. I spend time on a tractor forum largely populated by rural whites that love to wax poetic about how great the 50's and 60's were. I suspect they might have a slightly different opinion if their complexion was a bit darker.

Early 70s my mother would load 10 of us into a 64 Chevy to go to the Drive In. We`d have kids in the trunk and under blankets.
I raised my kids with less "safety crap" and they are raising theirs the same. A lot of dirt never hurt anyone.
Only time Id take them to the emergency room was for not breathing or loss of 3 quarts of blood.
I believe lots of people are soft.
A minor cough or cold and they are off to the doctor.
A bug in the house and call the exterminator.
A little storm or snow and its a major delemma.
Many have little or no patience.
How about common sense.
Or manners.
Sorry about the rant.
Ron
A 54 yr old Geezer

Early 70s my mother would load 10 of us into a 64 Chevy to go to the Drive In. We`d have kids in the trunk and under blankets.
I raised my kids with less "safety crap" and they are raising theirs the same. A lot of dirt never hurt anyone.
Only time Id take them to the emergency room was for not breathing or loss of 3 quarts of blood.
I believe lots of people are soft.
A minor cough or cold and they are off to the doctor.
A bug in the house and call the exterminator.
A little storm or snow and its a major delemma.
Many have little or no patience.
How about common sense.
Or manners.
Sorry about the rant.
Ron
A 54 yr old Geezer
I like to have guys like you around. I'm less likely to have people putting up "get off my lawn" movie posters in response to some of my posts. Although I moistly disagree with your points, particularly as regards child safety.

Keep 'em coming!

Ha

Funny, I lived through a lot of that stuff, but I can't say I wax nostalgic about it. I also remember polio, the Cold War, fallout shelters, assassinations, self-immolations, segregation, war/protests/riots, all on the TV every night...

And we liked it! :p

I believe children should learn about fire,tools,ropes,knives,hammers and nails,water safety,the woods,how to make your own lunch,when to plug something in,storms,snow shoveling,bicycle common sense,sleeping in the back yard,treating others with respect and GOD.
I did the best I could with my children and will try my hardest with the grand kids as long as my kids will let me.
Ron
Old Geezer

I believe children should learn about fire,tools,ropes,knives,hammers and nails,water safety,the woods,how to make your own lunch,when to plug something in,storms,snow shoveling,bicycle common sense,sleeping in the back yard,treating others with respect and GOD.
I did the best I could with my children and will try my hardest with the grand kids as long as my kids will let me.
Ron
Old Geezer

The other day we got to the YMCA early and had a coffee before going to our exercise class. There were a few High School kids sitting down after a swimming session, eating breakfast before going on to school. One lad peers into his brown bag and says, "Oh mom, you packed carrots and broccoli for breakfast!!". My DW just laughed and said to him, "Maybe she is suggesting that you pack your own breakfast".

One of my former co-w*rkers used to say that a priviliged few were born at the perfect time making them university age "post-pill and pre-Herpes". 30-79 does not apply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom