Box wine

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any recommendations on a quality box wine? it's been years since we've tried a box wine. In those days, only a few mega brands were on the shelves and the quality was not good. I'm thinking that there must be some brands that are pretty darn good now. We're interested in reds or blends. Cheers!

Certainly no expert here.....but we drink mainly Black Box when drinking boxed wine. It has been somewhat hit-or-miss (moreso with their whites). Last week I bought their Malbec for the 1st time and really liked it. Have had their Pinot Noir several times and found it OK.

Last edited:
black box isn't bad but bota box is way better

When traveling we tend to buy 3ltr. boxes, usually one of the familiar brands. I suspect that all of them are just buying whatever tank cars of wholesale plonk are on the market, though, as consistency IMO is poor.

At home, we buy 5ltr. boxes of Almaden Cab. Franzia bought that brand a few years ago and has positioned it as a bit upscale from its Franzia branded boxes. We find it tolerable and very consistent in taste.

+1.

Of course, a wine one person enjoys might be despised by the next person. But I too like Bota Box reds - Malbec being my favorite of those reds. :)

YMMV!
So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it) and buy another brand and test again. Don't do all this on the same day :dance:

Don't chuck it! It will still be good for cooking, making mulled wine, degreasing the skillet, etc.

So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it) :dance:

I buy boxes of Badger Mountain because it's organic and drinkable and very reasonable. It probably doesn't qualify as 'good', but thought I'd mention it for those who prefer organic. It's the only boxed organic I see here in WA.

I drank a whole bunch of Black Box wine back 5 - 8 years ago when my stomach did not mind me drinking wine. I preferred their reds and I thought it tasted good and was a lot less hassle and kept better than bottles.

We found that Peter Vella box wine is better than either Franzia or Almaden IMO.
One advantage of box wine is when you go on a cruise and they Xray your luggage, they are looking for bottles.:D

We like Black Box cab and the Bota reds as well. Some others worth trying are La Vieille Ferme (both the Rouge and Rose) and Maipe Malbec.

I was reading online yesterday about what a giant in the wine world Aldi is getting to be.

Winking Owl is their house brand and the last my wife bought was only $2.85 a bottle. And some of their no name more expensive wines are supposedly very good--for the amount spent.

That might be a source for inexpensive wine and an alternative to box wine.

That might be a source for inexpensive wine and an alternative to box wine.
The thing I like about box wine is I can keep a 5 liter box in the fridge and it does not take up that much room. It is also easier to pack when we travel.

We rarely drink anything other than reds. We don't care for Franzia or Almaden. We usually buy Bota, but we've had Black Box and Fish Eye and they're fine too - when you don't want to break open something better. Don't recall another brand we've seen or tried.

We drink Bota.

Here's an experiment you might find interesting:

We were sure that the wine didn't taste good by the time we got to the bottom of the [-]barrel [/-]box. More sour and bitter.

But in doing a blind taste test, with a new box and the last of the old box, we couldn't tell the difference.

So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it) and buy another brand and test again. Don't do all this on the same day :dance:

ah, the Scientific Method! I like it...

We were sure that the wine didn't taste good by the time we got to the bottom of the [-]barrel [/-]box. More sour and bitter.

But in doing a blind taste test, with a new box and the last of the old box, we couldn't tell the difference.

I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

I have no idea whether that is true.

I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

I remove the bladder from the box and squeeze it out!

I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygpen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

It’s supposed to be decent for 30-60 days after it’s opened, we keep ours in the fridge after opening and it always lasts at least 30 days (not sure we’ve had a box from open to empty more than 30 days.
botabox.com said:
It lasts and lasts.
Sure, it’s fancy but our state-of-the-art technology helps our wines last more than a month after opening. When we banish wine’s enemies – light and air – we let the flavors dance on and on.
And we always remove the bladder from the box when it seems to be empty, cut off a corner and drain it into a glass. You’d leave almost a whole glass if you don’t do this IME.

Last edited:
Kelly likes to drink wine more than me so we tried a lot of these boxes to see.

Our fav is the Bota.

+1

Same with the tooth paste, run the toothbrush down to get every last bit.:D

+1
On boxed wine we use the Bota Pinot Noir.

About a year ago Rex goliath was tasting pretty good in the malbec 1.75L bottles. Bought it by the case and saved 10%:D Price per bottle was $7.95 brought it down to about $3.50 a bottle with no tax.:D

DW taught me the trick of getting the last bit out. Turn the box upside down, press the button and blow into the bladder. release the button (very important) then turn the box right side up and get the last of the wine out.

Back
Top Bottom