Join Early Retirement Today

Brewing Beer At Home, Part Deux
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brewing Beer At Home, Part Deux

I really wanted to add this nugget of knowledge to the Brewing Beer at Home
thread, but it was too old

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

April Fools LOL

I'll stick to the corny kegs!! My kegerator is banished to the basement.

Though that would be funny if I did that to the fridge today for when the wife came home. I could tell her I modified the fridge for a new beer tap!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I got this today from MoreBeer. Pretty funny.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good stuff! I wouldn't put it past some of the yahoos I tailgate with to put a tap in their car! Although I wouldn't give them any tasty homebrew to stock it with.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been waiting for a good video this day! And since it's homebrewing related, it's perfect.

Gotta get me one of those stretch bottles, and I'll also surprise SWMBO when she gets home.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 5 gallon bottle video was shot well over a year ago, and I sat on it until last year at this time. I posted it last year on a few sites, but the folks here had to catch it on reruns, hehe.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

thanks for posting! I found myself really analyzing the video - trying to see if it was something I could use in my home brewing. Then finally I got it,
Old 06-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Science Friday had a discussion on brewing beer last Friday, scroll down to the bottom of the list:

Science Friday: Beer, Nuclear Education, Spiders, Robot Apocalypse, And New Wheels - capradio.org
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a home brewer, but I enjoy the brew. Science Friday recently had an episode on brewing beer. I learned a few things from it including:

Before the German purity laws, various herbs were used to flavor the beer not just hops.
Portlandandia, OR has more craft breweries per capita than any other city. Many locals grow their own hops.

Science Friday: Beer, Nuclear Education, Spiders, Robot Apocalypse, And New Wheels - capradio.org
Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I just tapped into a keg of my go to summer home brew and it is tastyyyyy! I actually make it from an extract kit from Northern Brewer called "Synchronicity Extraordinaire Wheaten Saison". Brewed with lemon grass and orange peel it has a great floral smell with a nice balanced (not overwhelming) citrus finish. It is super easy with 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 4 days in the keg.

Sometimes I feel like I am cheating by making beer from an extract kit but it seems as though these kits are getting better and better (IMO). I find myself going more and more towards these kits as of late as it saves me an hour or two on brew day.

So..... should I feel guilty for abandoning the methods of our forefathers and is/has anyone used these kits? If so from where (Northern Brewer, etc.) and what is your opinion on them?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it tastes good and you like it you have no reason at all to feel guilty. It's your beer, after all! Looks like a tasty recipe I might try myself, and it looks like it finishes quickly enough that there's still time to enjoy it this summer.

Besides, with 5 lb wheat to 3 lb barley malt in the all-grain version, I would feel even less guilty for taking a detour from the all-grain route on this one. I've only had one stuck mash in my brewing and it was NO fun.