Bye Bye Chevy Volt

These start/stop systems vary a lot.

The first time I encountered one on a rental car I thought it was awful. Then I bought a Mercedes diesel that had it and it's actually very smooth. I never notice it.

I've had it on a couple of rentals and it still seems to vary a lot.
Yes, agree. That's why I was wondering about the GM. From what I see of Ford, they have work to do.

No. I bought a 2018. They were running great deals on them, which helped me in the justification department. The 2018’s don’t have the stop/start but the 2019’s do. I don’t like it one bit. Hopefully when I get my next car, it will work better, but I just can’t get over it feeling like I’m in a golf cart. I do think the ones with an electric motor that get the car rolling would probably be a lot better. We looked at a Traverse recently and they said that there’s no shut off. That would really suck. I know you can trick it by driving in manual or whatever, but I don’t want to play games in my car. I’d at least want a on/off ability, similar to traction control.

Smart to get a 2018 Silverado. The 2019's are a bit taller ( what's up with that?) and are FUGLY in a front view. Plus, the EPA rating is 3 MPG lower than the 2018's! What are they thinking (GM, I mean)? :confused:

Smart to get a 2018 Silverado. The 2019's are a bit taller ( what's up with that?) and are FUGLY in a front view. Plus, the EPA rating is 3 MPG lower than the 2018's! What are they thinking (GM, I mean)? :confused:
More profits is what they are thinking.

More profits is what they are thinking.

Really, two of my friends didn't go for the GM trucks due to the decrease in stated MPG. Plus, they look like hell. One bought an F150 and the other a RAM. GM is on a deathwish campaign.

Here's a little tidbit to read. Read the comments, too.

GM’s New 2019 Pickups’ EPA Ratings Up To 3 mpg Worse Than Its Predecessors – “Don’t look at the sticker” (or its face)

GM’s new 2019 pickups, by far the most important vehicle in their portfolio, are not off to a roaring start. There is a growing consensus that its interiors are not competitive. And now it’s apparent that its fuel consumption isn’t either. Certain versions of the 2019 Silverado have EPA ratings as much as 3 mpg lower than comparable 2018 versions. The apparent (and rather obvious) reason: worse aerodynamic drag thanks to that oversize blunt front end. Progress.

Last edited:
Now I’m looking at a BedRug liner and a tonneau cover. The BedRug resembles the fabric look of a trunk, but it’s more durable and water proof. With the cover, it should be nice.

The BedRug is great, I have one. A benefit that I hadn't anticipated was that it has a kind of soft rubbery backing that is very easy on 60+ year old knees when you have to crawl to the forward reaches of the bed (bearing in mind that I have a cap over the bed) for some small item that invariably ends up there.

Really, two of my friends didn't go for the GM trucks due to the decrease in stated MPG. Plus, they look like hell. One bought an F150 and the other a RAM. GM is on a deathwish campaign.

Here's a little tidbit to read. Read the comments, too.
Indeed. 2020 Silverado below. I can't imagine where the aerodynamic drag is coming from . . .

Chevrolet-silverado-2020-hd-hero.jpg

What's at the back end, a parachute?

And when gas prices go up and the customers go to something else, GM will say there's just no way it could have been predicted or prevented.

Last edited:
Wow. So GM decides to go all in on over the top big light trucks, and all in on electric and self driving, but is de-emphasizing the middle of the road sedans and smaller utility vehicles. What a mess.

I swore off GM and bought a Subbie in 2010. Was thinking of maybe wandering back for a look. Recent decisions have again had me cross them off the list. I was hoping the Volt technology would move up to larger sedans. Looks like that is abandoned.

I wonder what they mean by "it's a much larger cab and a much larger bed"? Aren't all standard-sized pickup truck beds pretty much the same size? Usually you'd get something like a 5'6" bed with the crew cab models, a 6'4" bed with the extended cab, and the single-cab would usually have either the 6'4" or an 8'2"?

Legally, they can't make 'em any wider than 80 inches. If they do so, they get re-classified as a medium-duty truck, or something like that.

As for the cabs, I don't have too much experience with the outgoing Silverado, but I do remember, when I bought my 2012 Ram, the Silverado at that time definitely seemed smaller inside. Less legroom, and less storage area behind the seat. So there was definitely room for improvement.

Currently with a Tesla, you can recharge from 20% to 80% in about an hour which means stopping about every 200 - 225 miles. Fine for around town but too short for extended trips. I would consider a hybrid in the future but EV's will need improvement from either solid state batteries or other battery tech for us to consider them as viable if we only have 1 vehicle.

EDIT: OOPS! The Bolt lives. My bad.

It's like Scotty Kilmer on YouTube said in his recent video about this topic- Chevy foolishly scraps and starts over whenever they can't make a car sell rather than improving on it over time like the Japanese car companies do.

Last edited:
EDIT: OOPS! The Bolt lives. My bad.

It's like Scotty Kilmer on YouTube said in his recent video about this topic- Chevy foolishly scraps and starts over whenever they can't make a car sell rather than improving on it over time like the Japanese car companies do.
Yep.

Saturn was mentioned before. I owned one, one of the first. That's a whole different story. Saturn could be the perfect EV brand for GM today. But alas, they screwed up that story so badly in so many ways it makes my stomach turn. Ion: seriously? Astra: recycled Opels? Argh.

Back
Top Bottom