Can a US attorney practice in Mexico?

K

ken_d

I have an unusual question I hope you all can help with. My wife & I are an aspiring FIRE'd couple who planned to move to Central America in roughly 10 years to retire, mostly because of it's relatively low cost of living.

But we're both getting pretty bad cases of burnout and would like to make the move ASAP but don't quite have enough $ to make it yet.

My question is is it possible for a US attorney to legally practice law in Central American countries (preferrably Mexico or Costa Rica)? I can't seem to find any info on this anywere. Does anyone know where I could search for the answer?

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

Ken:

Before I ER'd I was an attorney in several states.  I also represented a large multi-national company in Mexico on many matters.  I had to use Mexican lawyers even though it was my US client, I was fluent in Spanish, and knew the law.  Mexican law is an area that has layers of political and legal ambiguity, and requires that you obtain a duly admitted and licensed Mexican lawyer to advise you.  Its similar to getting an in-country guide who knows the trail from having walked it over the years as opposed to reading an off the rack guidebook.

I would suggest before you obtain the services of a Mexican lawyer you get several referrals from someone who is trustworthy and knows the type of transaction you are trying to do.  You WILL NOT FIND SUCH INFORMATION ON THE NET!  Do't do anything in Mexico without a complete due dilligence on the players and the transaction risk.   Even very Smart people get shorted in Mexican deals.  Be careful! ;)

Thanks for the reply, Lex.

Well, my wife would like to practice in another country & we're not sure if her law degree would be valid somewhere other than the US. That's the part I was curious about.

Thanks again,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom