Canine Confrontation - an age old problem

We have a leash law. We don't have a poop law.
My across the street neighbor walks our of his front door with his dog, crosses the street and heads to my mailbox with his dog.
We have an invisible fence in our back yard and that is where we let our dogs out to do their business. We mow the lawn and that usually takes care of the piles from our own dogs.

A bit late chiming in but.... get a flash camera. If you spot someone on your lawn, take a photo. If they say something, just smile and say "just collecting evidence", then go inside.

My mom used to do that and never got repeat offenders.

I also use the flash camera at night to disperse party animals who like to loiter in our parking lot. Because it's dark, they can't really tell where the sudden flash is coming from - but it makes them think they're under surveillance and most of them just high-tail it out of there. :LOL:

We've had relatively little problem with irresponsible dog-walkers. I'm still getting used to the idea of no road-kill here in the islands. In my old stomping grounds, the city streets and country roads always had dead dogs, cats squirrels, rabbits, and the highways/interstates usually had dead deer. So, from that aspect, this is truly paradise.

However, barking dogs (24/7) is another story. EVERYONE seems to have at least one dog - maybe 4 or 5 - and I'm serious. They buy them to protect their property while they are at work. Unfortunately, the dogs are too effective and sometimes bark almost constantly (at foot traffic or even road traffic - go figure!). In our area, especially at night, if one dog starts, the ones within a block or two radius join in. It can go on for an hour or even all night. I've talked to folks about this and they usually just shrug (heh, heh, probably have offending dogs of their own). Dealing with the police about noise is a joke. They have too much "real crime" especially at night - and elsewhere - to worry about noise. I'm sure if I confronted a neighbor and said "Your dogs bark all day and night." They would answer "Thats what I bought them for."

So, at some point, you just learn to live with it. YMMV

Unless you never let those dogs out of your sight or you have a fence they cannot escape, I GUARANTEE they are going farther than you think and doing more damage than you know. If you're not finding their poop, believe me, some unhappy neighbor is. And now you are going to say, "Not MY dog."
Johnnie36, I'm not just picking on you, I'm reliving a lifetime full of friends and neighbors who let their dogs out loose "only for a few minutes", and expect the dogs to have the same moral code as them. They are DOGS, they don't know any better. They poop and piss and sometimes dig wherever they damn well please, even if you would never tell them to do so. And they move much faster and go much farther than you can believe. Trust me on this. If you let your dog loose on the world without your direct supervision, you are part of the problem.

Maybe you thought I just let them out to do their thing without the supervision. The dogs are never out unless I (or DW) am with them. They are never out for more than 10 minutes and they want back inside. While out I watch to make sure they don't roam over onto the neighbors yard and do their business. After doing this two years, they know just where the line is and they don't go past it. If it was a problem I would have them on a leash and walk them around. I'm just telling you I have operated this way for years wiith no problems.

Back
Top Bottom