Join Early Retirement Today

Car ??
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Car ??

I read here in the past, a poster who is buying a new car because he mentioned that he needs it for his image at work. Does a new car make or help you get promoted. What if your boss is driving a civic and you are driving an suv?

Another thing I notice with families is the husband and wife going to the same sports activity for the kids in 2 different cars. Why can't they go in one car? Is this typical? I plan my trips with the whole family so we don't have to drive 2 cars in the weekends.
The funny thing about one family I observed that takes 2 different cars everywhere is they don't have any money to pay for their kids sports. They have to pay installments.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't see anyone 'needing' a car for image unless they are driving around customers/potential customers.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I can't see anyone 'needing' a car for image unless they are driving around customers/potential customers.
I agree.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
You never know when someone from this forum might sneak up on you and take a picture - you want the rusty metal primer on the old pickup and Salvation Army overalls to show up real good.

Otherwise the forum police may show up and try to confiscate your cheap bastard merit badge.

You are not paranoid if they are they are out to get you - or your portfolio went way up the 1st 14 years of ER cause you were too cheap to spend as much as you should.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #5

I remember my father saying he drove a Cadillac as a Real Estate Broker because his clients felt more comfortable. I think there may be some truth in that, however, we all knew he always wanted to drive a Cadillac.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: 2 cars to kids' events. We have 2 kids often headed in opposite /conflicting directions on the weekends to participate in their events while we also try to get all the errands done. We usually all go in separate directions or all go together, but on occasion, DH and I end up meeting at same place in separate cars. The only other alternative would require violating some laws of physics.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know about the type of car being needed for one's image.

I do know I had an accounting friend with a "client facing" job. His boss told him to take the Save Mono Lake bumper sticker off his car because the cause was "too liberal" to be seen by clients.

Go figgah.