Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Man this thread title freaked me out till I realized you meant music!
I don't think you are far off the mark with CD rates pushed to ridiculously low levels!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
The keyboard is a problem for some people. I have pretty fine fingers so I have no problem using it and I can type quite fast on it even with 2 fingers (at least as fast as my wife can type on her blackberry). But if you have thicker fingers I can see how you may have some problems using the keyboard (though I would think you might have the same problem with the blackberry's small keys). I would recommend going to your nearest Best Buy or Circuit City store and try the demo model for yourself.
Very fat-fingered user here. I do much better typing on a Blackberry (one of the main reasons I chose it) keyboard than on a iXXX screen keyboard.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What are these "CD" things you speak of?

iPodInCar.jpg

Posted from my iPod Touch.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmd View Post
I don't think you are far off the mark with CD rates pushed to ridiculously low levels!
I too thought this was about certificates of deposit only because my dad tried to put some money into a CD and the credit union told him no thanks. They already had too much money on hand and no one to loan it to.

On the actual subject. I haven't used a Compact Disc in years. I use my Older 80 gig iPod in my truck and my iPod touch in when walking or working in the yard. I am slowly transferring all of my old cd's to my computer and I back them up on an external hard drive.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I am slowly transferring all of my old cd's to my computer and I back them up on an external hard drive.
Don't forget to back up the "library" also. I just did this on my system (Ubuntu with RhythmBox), but the same applies to iTunes. You might have the songs backed up, but if you don't also get the library (and know where to copy it to) you will lose all your playlists, ratings, etc.

BTW, this thread is about 2.5 years old. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'.

-ERD50
Old 10-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I haven't used a Compact Disc in years.
A couple years ago, as her Christmas present to us, our kid tracked down all of our old CDs and uploaded them into our very own iTunes account. It was a great bonding time, too-- she was alternately fascinated and horrified by what she found in the nooks & crannies.

Every time I look at my record albums and cassette tapes I decide to wait another year to see if iTunes will offer to let customers download 1960s-1980s tracks for a flat fee on unlimited "old stuff". It'll certainly be better than messing with audio patches and Audacity.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #47

Holy back from the grave Batman! This thread is old.

The other day I was listening to an MP-3 player I had in the car and decided I wanted to change to the CD I had in the radio. Little did I know the last time I listened to the CD, it was on the exact same song I was listening to on the MP-3 player. The difference is sound was unbelievable. The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Holy back from the grave Batman! This thread is old.

The other day I was listening to an MP-3 player I had in the car and decided I wanted to change to the CD I had in the radio. Little did I know the last time I listened to the CD, it was on the exact same song I was listening to on the MP-3 player. The difference is sound was unbelievable. The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.
I haven't made the leap to mp3. I'm a slow adopter, having lots of cd's and lp's! But, mp3 CAN sound as good as CD. It is a matter of how it's been encoded. Or you can save in a different format that is lossless. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to go disc-less. I'm sure others can give you a more technical explanation.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
The song on the MP-3 player was ripped from the CD in the radio, but you'd think they were done by different groups. The CD sounded so much better. I will mourn the passing of the CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
But, mp3 CAN sound as good as CD. It is a matter of how it's been encoded. Or you can save in a different format that is lossless. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to go disc-less. I'm sure others can give you a more technical explanation.
Pretty close - but mp3 encoding will always lose some quality. As you say, at higher bit rate settings, it should be very good, and pretty tough (if not nearly impossible) for most people to tell the difference.

I encode just about everything in lossless (FLAC, being an open standard). It cuts the file size about in half, with zero loss in quality (everything gets re-constructed in bit-for-bit perfect match). A 250GB portable drive goes for about $50 now (close to 1000 CDs in loss-less format), I can't think of any reason to compress the music in a lossy format. At some point, you may need to re-encode it to another format, and with lossy you are going to lose again. With loss-less, no added degradation at all.

-ERD50
Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

It is less about physical media and more about cost of distribution.

CD's could be replaced with other optical storage.

Wonder how long it will take for printed books to be the target?