CD's to be extinct by 2012?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone here who is technically knowledgeable know about CD's becoming extinct by 2012? I found this article, but there are many it appeared on the net that seemed not to buy into this. Anyone here know about this?

BetaNews | Analyst: Music CDs will give way to digital downloads by 2012

One of the guys I swim with works with radio as a spot announcer, and told me about this yesterday. True? Impossible? Anything?
Gosh, and I just bought two CD's yesterday: Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics and Amy Winehouse's award winning album. I have to say Aguilera is this generation's next Ella Fitzgerald in that I suspect she will be singing--and popular--till she dies, for sure. What a voice!

Don't ask me, I've got two albums out beside the turntable right now--Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo and Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus!

Digital downloads don't offer the liner notes I love so much. I do have an iPod with 3200 songs on it, and I love creating playlists on it, but sometimes you just want to hear the album (cd) the way the artist wanted it to be heard.

I've not listened to either one of those artists--just know about the rehab troubles of Winehouse--maybe I should. James Taylor did some of his best work in the shadow of addiction, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip on new music!

Put my money in your meter baby so it won't run down
But you caught me in the squeeze play on the cheesy side of town
Throw me a dime, throw me a line
'Cause there's a fat man in the bathtub with the blues
I hear you moan, I hear you moan, I hear you moan

On vinyl, with scratches and all... for classic listening pleasure, on CD for ease and in the car, digitized for the mp3 player and while sitting at the computer... I like it all!

I would say sooner than that. MP3 format you can store thousands of songs in a small portable device. Then hook it up to your car when you are on the road.

As far as I am concerned CDs are already extinct. I have been buying all my music in MP3 format for the past 2 years. Why? First CDs take too much space. And second, why would I buy a $17 CD to only listen to 2 out of 12 songs? I'd rather buy only the music I like and put it on my ipod. I have a ipod boombox to listen to my music at home (or in my office I just play the music directly on my computer), and in the car I have a special attachment that allows me to connect the ipod to my car audio system. I really don't need CDs anymore.

I thought this was going to refer to financial CDs, not music CDs. I was prepared to ask if everyone is expected to put "safe money" into Treasuries and money markets as a result...

Hmmmm.....

The Mayan calendar predicts the end of civilization by 2012. Perhaps CD's are more signicant that I realize.

Man this thread title freaked me out till I realized you meant music!

I agree with Ziggy, Orchid, be careful how you label your threads (and I don't mean your duds), I'm about to declare open season on ambiguously titled threads. Watch out, NewGuy!, I've read only one of your recent threads because of this issue.

But I'll take the opposite position on your actual topic, Orchid. Sure, even at my advanced age, I've figured out how to load up an IPod, however, it's hooked to my office machine, transferring to the home computer could take years (or better yet, never!) I'm a little reluctant to give up my (music or audio) CDs just when I've figured out a way to store them. And I do prefer the sound of any CD boombox or Bose system to the IPod. Sorry Apple.

Cuppa, I just noticed your signature line. The Drifters is one of my favorite books of all time and the only Michener I've ever read. I need to pull it back off the shelf again. Thanks for the nudge! I love the part where they are running with the bulls in Pamplona.
Sorry for the threadjack!
Bose does make an iPod boombox, I think! :)

Cuppa, I just noticed your signature line. The Drifters is one of my favorite books of all time and the only Michener I've ever read. I need to pull it back off the shelf again. Thanks for the nudge! I love the part where they are running with the bulls in Pamplona.
Sorry for the threadjack!
Bose does make an iPod boombox, I think! :)

I have a lot to learn about the digital age, but I'm actually w*rking on it, I mean playing on it! I've got three Apple manuals and am taking a workshop on Leopard next week. May well change my mind about iPods.

Me too, about The Drifters; although I did like Centennial, most of his other books just got left on the shelf. FreeBird has her location as latitude such and such which reminds me of the Tech Rep from The Drifters; that book has so many vivid characters. I read it at w*rk just as I now read stuff on the internet.

Sorry. I was trying to ditto ziggy29's comment. Not very computer/internet literate, but trying to learn.

Because this was in the "Other" section of this board, I guess I assumed everyone would know I was talking about record CD's. Guess not.
I am behind the times I see. It is time I learn about the ipod and MP3's, whatever those are. Thank God for having a young son as he can teach me.
Well, guess this prediction is right on target then.
Alrighty then...I will just listen and relisten to my current cd's in the Camry until they burn out, I guess.
Seems as if I am always having to learn new technology...and so not my thing.

I bought a new(er) car June '07 (2005 KIA); about November I noticed it had a CD player. Never before had a car with CD or tape player; I will probably never use it.

Dunno what'll happen.

With iPods, if you buy one today, you gotta have Win XP or Vista (No Win95, 2k, etc.) Personally, I hate 'em how they need a specific operating system, rearrange your files seemingly randomly, etc., etc. I'll stick with my iRiver. Now that car manuf. are seemingly playin' along with the portable music devices, I think digital will catch on even more. Stock vehicles are just getting CD players standard, so it might take awhile to phase that out.

Plugging .mp3s into a Bose is like measuring with a laser and cutting with a chainsaw. Half of those 128k bit encoded .mp3s are going to sound like crap with their clipping, different volume levels, depending on who encoded them or how they were encoded. I think a CD quality is 320k or somewhere around there. So, if you're looking for high fidelity from all .mp3s, I think you're missing the point. Maybe they're better if you buy 'em all from iTunes. ;)

-CC

As far as I am concerned CDs are already extinct. I have been buying all my music in MP3 format for the past 2 years. Why? First CDs take too much space. And second, why would I buy a $17 CD to only listen to 2 out of 12 songs? I'd rather buy only the music I like and put it on my ipod. I have a ipod boombox to listen to my music at home (or in my office I just play the music directly on my computer), and in the car I have a special attachment that allows me to connect the ipod to my car audio system. I really don't need CDs anymore.

Does this mean 8-tracks are out now?

Does this mean 8-tracks are out now?

My 8 tracks all wore out--I think that must have been the worst technology to try to keep up! It got to the point where none of them would play, and I had the coolest little portable 8 track player, too! Same trouble with cassettes that I made back in the 80s, have to play them carefully and always worry that they'll break. Not such a problem with vinyl!

Because this was in the "Other" section of this board, I guess I assumed everyone would know I was talking about record CD's. Guess not.

Orchid, I was just kidding you. I think the others were too. Lately this has become a sport--purposely misinterpret a thread title and go with it. I sometimes do a double take and then check to see which category it was posted to.

Orchid, I was just kidding you. I think the others were too. Lately this has become a sport--purposely misinterpret a thread title and go with it. I sometimes do a double take and then check to see which category it was posted to.

;)

Last edited:
Well, guess this prediction is right on target then.
Alrighty then...I will just listen and relisten to my current cd's in the Camry until they burn out, I guess.
Seems as if I am always having to learn new technology...and so not my thing.

I'm of two minds about learning all the new technology. On the one hand, I try to put my mind back in the '80s when I went to great lengths to get a hold of manuals to learn new programs that my company had acquired, only to be frustrated that they became obsolete so quickly; and learning the new stuff does cut into quality time. OTOH, I don't want to end up like my mom who at 90-92 missed out on some communication because she couldn't learn e-mail or master her VCR. Maybe it's like crossword puzzles, can keep the mind agile.

I switched to satellite radio and just listen to what ever is playing on various genre's of music or talk radio.I used to like cassette tapes but i cant find them anymore,i did try cd's but the ones that didnt get stolen just ended up warping in the heat in the car.No music in the house as i have a wife who has the "turn it Down" affliction:rolleyes:

Rats, hope not. My first activities in my first 30 days of retirement has been scanning many, many slide photos into the computer and converting boxes of old vinyl into MP3s. I do like Sirius radio while on long drives.

Yes.

DVD (and its newer versions) will replace CD as that type of media for holding digital information. But that too will go away also. DVD may have a life of about 10 years?? then it will decline.

But distributing music on disc is slowly dying. CD sales have been declining in the last several years. Some say the that major music companies may not survive. Time Warner and others are trying to adjust their practices. Artists are striking out on their own and promoting their music via the internet and places like MYSPACE.

Yes, uh anyone still use cassette tapes (forget about 8 track)? CD's are the cassette tapes of the coming next few years. mp3 and ipod formats along with the internet have made this media almost obsolete.

Back
Top Bottom