Change own oil in your car?

Whole loaf of wheat bread before he takes it in.

Al...you forgot

- accidentally wipe oily hands on pants
- curse self for being cocky and not changing out of a good pair of pants before the "2 minute oil change"

This is a "luxury" we intend to continue in retirement ... just not worth changing ourselves anymore, IMHO.

Remove drain plug with fingers (adjust position as flow slows down!)

LOL...if this was my procedure I would add, after this, ~ "Aw, s**t, that dripping black oil is really hot on the fingers..." as I always seem to decide to change it about 5 minutes after driving around town... :p

"Costs me about ten bucks to change my oil. Usually $3-5 for the filters on sale, and I buy "wolfs head" oild from sams club for a little over a buck a quart. The old timers will remember wolfs head as an old-time brand from way back. Pennzoil bought the name years ago and sells pennzoil under that name to hit the el-cheapos among us without diluting their brand."

Wolf's Head:confused: :LOL: Holy Moley!..........I haven't seen that name on a "can" of oil in a looonnnggg time! My great-aunt Viola (died 10 yrs ago) and her husband uncle Haney (not making up the names!) used Wolf's Head. It was in the old can that you had to open with a can opener. I remember about 45 years ago that's what they put in their 1960-something Plymouth Valiant, LOL! I'll have to look for the WH in the stores, just for the memory. Those two were my all-time favorite relatives, not counting immediate family of course.

kramer said:
How do you transport the oil to the waste center? Do you have some kind of sealable container that does not spill while driving (or walking) there?

Thanks,
Kramer

Empty kitty litter bucket with snap seal lid here. Also take it to local grain co-op where they use it in their fuel heater or it can be taken to recycling center.

Well.........it don't look like the old green & white Wolf's Head oil cans I remember from way back when...but I guess time marches on! ::) Thanks for the link!

This is how my last oil change went:

Do-It-Yourself Oil Changes

1. Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and two scented trees.
2. Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly's to recycle, dump it in the hole in the back yard.
3. Open a beer and drink it.
4. Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7. Place drain pan under engine.
8. Look for 19mm box end wrench.
9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
10. Unscrew drain plug.
11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil, getting hot oil all over yourself in the process.
12. Clean up mess.
13. Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14. Look for oil filter wrench.
15. Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
16. Beer.
17. Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
18. Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
19. Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20. Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21. Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24. Remember drain plug from step 11.
25. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26. Discover that the used oil is buried in the hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.
27. Drink beer.
28. Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
29. Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
30. Drink beer.
31. Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32. Bang head on suspension cross-member in reaction to step 31.
33. Begin cussing fit.
34. Throw wrench.
35. Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992) in the left boob.
36. Beer.
37. Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38. Beer.
39. Beer.
40. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41. Beer.
42. Lower car from jack stands.
43. Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
44. Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 23.
45. Beer.
46. Test drive car.
47. Get pulled over and arrested for Driving Under the Influence.
48. Vig gets impounded.
49. Make bail.
50. Get Vig from impound yard.

Money spent:
• $50.00 parts
• $25.00 beer
• $75.00 replacement set of jack stands. (Hey, the colors have to match!)
• $1,000.00 Bail
• $200.00 Impound and towing fee
TOTAL = $1,350.00

Reminds me of a tale I heard:

Husband is going to change oil in wife's car.

Gets car up on ramps and slides under.

Oil filter will not budge.

Husband slides back out, fetches oil filter wrench and slides back under car.

Oil filter will still not budge.

Wife says: 'take car to garage'.

Husband feels manhood questioned.

He knows a trick his uncle told him: 'stab screwdriver through filter and use as handle to twist off'.

Wife says: 'take car to garage'.

Testosterone in full flow, husband slides under car, stabs oil filter, and it doesn't budge.

Tow truck is summoned and car is taken to garage where oil filter is chiseled off.

Husband asks: 'who put that old filter on too tight?'

Wife says: 'You did.'

Oh man, that brought back a memory.

Changing the oil in my girlfriends '69 plymouth valiant...eh...around 1980ish. "I'm just gonna throw an oil change into it before we go over to your parents house" (that was around 9am). So at 4 in the afternoon, having crushed the filter can trying to remove it with the oil filter wrench, having torn the entire filter off except for the base with the 'screwdriver through it' trick, and having notched the base and hit it 8-9 times with a mallet and chisel lodged in the notch, I managed to break the entire assembly the oil filter attached to. Never did get that oil filter base off. Had to have it towed to a garage and fixed for a couple of hundred bucks.

You'd think that'd have put me off of oil changes for a while...

Anyone else notice that a plastic oil change pan at the auto store is $10 while a nearly identical plastic kitty litter pan is $3?

Dh has a perfect way to change his oil, he asks for GC from all his kids for the local Jiffy Lube. The kids know he'll love what they give him and he doesn't have to pay to have the oil changed.

He does do his own oil changes on the bikes but the trucks and cars are just too much hassle for him.

Changing oil sounds fun. Maybe I'll try it some time.

He knows the manager at the Jiffy lube he goes to , if he wasn't a friend he'd think twice.

Ugh...jiffy lube is bad news. Took an suv there for a couple of years running until the steering felt tight to me...dealer said it hadnt been lubed in years. Jiffy lube said that according to their computer, there are no grease points on the car. Several large, very obvious zerks right there in plain view of the guy in the pit.

:p

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Oh man, that brought back a memory.

Changing the oil in my girlfriends '69 plymouth valiant...eh...around 1980ish. "I'm just gonna throw an oil change into it before we go over to your parents house" (that was around 9am).

Maybe t was something abot tht vintage of Chrysler. I had a '72 Dodge Polara (huge road monster). I wanted to change the oil before a big trip (9:00 on a Sunday night) and ended up stripping the oil drain plug. All auto parts stores were usually closed, but (as good fortune would have it) the Chief store was having a Midnight Madness sale and I got the oversize drain plug I needed. Same car, different day: I didn't notice that the old gasket had stayed on the car. When I put on the new filter the two gaskets probably got up cross-ways. When I started it up, it looked like the Exxon Valdez had docked in my driveway.

(P.S. For the EPA watchdogs: I got every speck of that oil up and bioremediated.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom