Price of oil change in your area

I have 4 cars I change myself. The lowest is the Miata, which only has about 4" of ground clearance. Even jacking is tedious.

Instead of jacks and stands, I built my own ramps out of wood. They are longer than most ramps, with 3 step ups, and a significant stop at the end. I do chock the wheels.

+1 on lots of cardboard, especially with my stone driveway. I could do it in my garage, but it's much more roomy to do it outside.
Me too, I built mine by staggering 3 2x8's of top of each other, but that just gets it high enough to slide my heavy duty floor jack under the car so I can jack it up to my preferred working height.(YMMV)

I have 4 cars I change myself. The lowest is the Miata, which only has about 4" of ground clearance. Even jacking is tedious.

Instead of jacks and stands, I built my own ramps out of wood. They are longer than most ramps, with 3 step ups, and a significant stop at the end. I do chock the wheels.

+1 on lots of cardboard, especially with my stone driveway. I could do it in my garage, but it's much more roomy to do it outside.

How about digging a transmission pit in your garage? :)

Or a more practical car lift like this for less than $2K? Hmmm... I wonder if the two hydraulic lifters are synchronized.

c2229cb2-e4cb-43cf-8c45-7dfa77351f5d.293c807a5d43a6286ce61f53bfbb78d0.jpeg

A dealership had a special for 3 O/C + 3 tire rotations for $229 (~$77 ea.).

I can't believe these high prices, but I guess it's 'whatever the market will bear', right ? I do my own oil changes. Not too many fandangos to remove to get to everything.

Synthetic oil is about $21-40 for a 5 qt jug, depending on brand. Most car type oil is 5 qt jug, whereas diesel engine oil typically 4 qt (1 gal) jug. Qt price is approx $6-8 for synthetic. A good filter is approx $8-10 for most vehicles. Conventional non-synthetic oil is low as $11 for 5 qt jug. Cheap filter $5. Synthetic blend is more common than conventional, and priced sort of in between. Full synthetic is really not that much more expensive vs conventional or blend.

Thanks for the info. Maybe $100 for an full synth. oil change isn't so outrageous after all when you factor in the price of the materials.

I have lots of synth. blend or full synth. sitting around from the old days. Never finished it off before I gave up my wrenches. I wonder if the stuff goes bad just sitting in a factory sealed container. I'd like to donate it to someone who still does their own oil change. Cost a lot less a few years back and doing me no good sitting in a cabinet.

Last edited:
I have lots of synth. blend or full synth. sitting around from the old days. Never finished it off before I gave up my wrenches. I wonder if the stuff goes bad just sitting in a factory sealed container. I'd like to donate it to someone who still does their own oil change. Cost a lot less a few years back and doing me no good sitting in a cabinet.

Old oil will eventually reach a point where it isn't much good for any future engines so it's probably best to give it away now.

Check out this video testing some old motor oil that's about 60 or 70 years old. And yes, I can remember those Quaker State oil cans! (I grew up in MD, part of their market area.)

Old oil will eventually reach a point where it isn't much good for any future engines so it's probably best to give it away now.

Check out this video testing some old motor oil that's about 60 or 70 years old. And yes, I can remember those Quaker State oil cans! (I grew up in MD, part of their market area.)

IIRC the oil was all Mobil-1 and I probably bought it 15 years ago. SWAG is that it would still be better than "standard" (non-synth) oil, but I don't really know.

Thanks for the cool video. Heh, heh, I used to use straight 20W Quaker State in my '66 Olds. 330 CI 2bbl. When I did the valves on it, there was mucho sludge on everything and thick carbon on the tops of the pistons. Turned out the cam shaft was also shot. IIRC I only had about 60K on the odometer. I loved that car, but I quit using QS oil.

Local oil change place sign says "FREE oil Changes for Tesla"

Thanks for the cool video. Heh, heh, I used to use straight 20W Quaker State in my '66 Olds. 330 CI 2bbl. When I did the valves on it, there was mucho sludge on everything and thick carbon on the tops of the pistons. Turned out the cam shaft was also shot. IIRC I only had about 60K on the odometer. I loved that car, but I quit using QS oil.

Back in about 1964 - 1965 I helped my father overhaul two car engines, one a flathead six in a '55 Dodge and the other was the 272 c.i overhead valve V8 in a '56 Plymouth station wagon. I can still remember using a putty knife to scrape the 1/4" to maybe 1/2" thick sludge off the inside of the oil pans. I don't remember much of it up inside the engines but that could be just memory.

Local oil change place sign says "FREE oil Changes for Tesla"

:LOL:

Good one.

I guess the sign was to distract customers from the new, higher prices for IC oil changes. In any case, very funny.

6qts Mobil1 + Mopar filter from Walmart = $49.00. An hour wrenching in the garage priceless.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Mykle,
I've been doing a majority of the maintenance and repair on my cars my whole life.

I started having the oil changed at the dealership until the car is out of warranty.
I want good documentation showing that the maintenance has been done, in case I experience a major mechanical problem under warranty. So basically, I don't trust them. Maybe a little obsessive.

I just had it done today, and I just checked what they charged : 6 quarters of oil for $40,
Filter $13, labor $35.

Not cheap, but replacing/repairing an engine on a newer truck isn't cheap either.

Take care, JP

I change my own after the warranty is dead. My jack stands consist of ramps made from 2x12. So, I get 3 inches. That's just enough to easily sneak under the front of the car.

But I may not do this much longer. Aside from the physical pain of scooting on concrete, I have another concern:

- CarFax reports

When I was looking at used cars in the 200k mile range, it was very helpful to see the service history. Dealers and many independents report to CarFax. You cannot add DYI oil changes to the CarFax service history report that goes public.

Then again, I keep my cars until death so it may not matter. But perhaps we'll change our habits and blow some dough as we age...

I started having the oil changed at the dealership until the car is out of warranty.

I do that too, on the rare (every 15-25 years) times when I buy a new vehicle, and for the same reasons you mentioned.

I change my own after the warranty is dead. My jack stands consist of ramps made from 2x12. So, I get 3 inches. That's just enough to easily sneak under the front of the car.

But I may not do this much longer. Aside from the physical pain of scooting on concrete, I have another concern:

- CarFax reports

When I was looking at used cars in the 200k mile range, it was very helpful to see the service history. Dealers and many independents report to CarFax. You cannot add DYI oil changes to the CarFax service history report that goes public.

Then again, I keep my cars until death so it may not matter. But perhaps we'll change our habits and blow some dough as we age...

Yep, my last three cars "died" (potential repairs more than car was worth.) I've gotten used to doing it this way.

When I had two cars, it was pretty much stress free. Now with only one car, it's a bit unwieldy for even minor repairs ("Just leave the car all day and we'll call you when it's done.") But I have no way to get home or get back! Found a guy who will come to ME for easy "replacement" stuff like battery, coolant leaks, brakes, etc.

I do that too, on the rare (every 15-25 years) times when I buy a new vehicle, and for the same reasons you mentioned.

Heh, heh, I haven't had a new car in 32 years! But I do go to an independent oil change place and don't do it myself.

Back
Top Bottom